• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Joe Johnson is a superstar sidekick!

oiatlhawksfan

He disappears when we need him, h's very unclutch, he can't guard superstar players, he's gets lockdown against double-teams. I think he would excel if he was the 3nd or 3rd option. I don't think we have to go get a superstar, I think Smoove, Marvin, or Horford need to take that next step to their game.

Quote:

He disappears when we need him, h's very unclutch, he can't guard superstar players, he's gets lockdown against double-teams. I think he would excel if he was the 3nd or 3rd option. I don't think we have to go get a superstar, I think Smoove, Marvin, or Horford need to take that next step to their game.

Take a second to check your posts, man. Your chubby fingers are hitting the wrong keys.

I think you have it pretty much right oi. JJ is a great shooting guard...and can get his shot when not doubled...but he is still not a game changer..especially on the road.

I have problems with JJ (lately) but I still think he is our most talented player. It's just that he doesn't compare with the other guys who make as much money as him. That's not his fault - it's BK's mis-judgement of talent - as usual. BK is an arrogant idiot - when it comes down to judgeing NBA talent - he misses almost every time. He has made this franchise into what it is today. I am "stunned" that he is cashing paychecks from an NBA team.

Quote:

I'm sure Lebron would have loved to add JJ instead of Larry Hughes; JJ would have been deadly playing alongside someone like that.

JJ is a very good player, but the original poster has a point in that JJ would be better as the second option on a better team, sort of like how Gasol looks so good on the Lakers because of the presence of Kobe.

JJ would be a deadly weapon teamed up with LeBron.

Ideally JJ would be a 2nd or 3rd option, for sure, but I don't think there are 30 players in the NBA right now who are better 1st options than JJ. So basically, if we can get a Lebron, or a Kobe or someone like that, it would be great, but it's easier said than done (although we've had our chances...Chris Paul, anyone?). Anyway, I personally think the NBA has overexpanded and there just isn't enough elite level talent to go around - that's why you have some great teams in the league and a whole bunch of teams that are just floundering in mediocrity.

Quote:

I don't think I read your post carefully enough when I first read it, but I went back and looked again and I see what you're saying. Hopefully you're right - I'd like one of our young guys to step up and become a big-time player; I just don't know if any of those guys have the potential to become a better pure scorer than JJ.

To me, the best-case scenario is to have a complete team like the Pistons, where you can't load up on one guy becuase all the guys are capable of major damage. It would be nice if Smoove, Marvin, Horford, and Bibby could really make teams pay for doubling Joe and open things up for him a bit.

Guest Walter

Quote:

Last year I posted that JJ's and JS's averaged Roland Ratings, PER, and TENDEX per48 were all lower than the averages of the leagues top 10 team's top 2 players. THAT is why I insisted we "tank" and also seek out a player in the draft with superstar and mismatch advantage potential (Yi). You can't expect to be a top 10 team with your top 2 players averaging out to being 16th best.

The worst mistake that BK made wasn't about not drafting for positions or skill-sets, it was about being nearly the worst possible talent evaluator. Deng and Iggy are more talented than Childress. Paul and Deron are both more talented than MW. Roy is leaps and bounds more talented than SW. It was reportedly talent that drove BK to make the decisions he made, it is talent that he missed on repeatedly, and it is still talent we lack.

W

Quote:

Like I said . . Hawksquawk has VERY short memories.

Year 1 of JJ in ATL:

He's asked to play the point. When it is evident that it's not in the team's best interest to play the point, he's asked to be a playmaker type shooting guard. The result? He averages 20.5 ppg and 6.5 assists. When you look at the guys who scored a total of 1600 points, 500 assists, and had 100 steals that season, JJ is in a group that includes LeBron, Wade, Iverson, and Arenas. Kobe is usually in that group, but he didn't have the assists that year.

Year 2 of JJ in ATL:

He still has to be the playmaker on the team, seeing how our PG situation is still not settled. But he does something that no one expects, and that's really become more of a scorer. Although the season is a failure, JJ averages 25 ppg, 4 assists and 4 rebounds. He also shoots 47% FG, which is pretty high for a 2 guard/small forward that has to do it all for their team. Once again, he's in a select group of 2's and/or 3's that averaged 25 ppg or more, while shooting 47% or more. Only Wade and LeBron achieved that feat last year.

Year 3 of JJ in ATL:

The PG situation is still unsettled, although it is better than the previous 2 years. JJ is still asked to do everything. But this year, the shots don't fall as easy as they did in the past 2 years. More noteably, teams are looking to flat out shut JJ down, treating him like they would a megastar player. And it is immeadiately noticed by fans and media types, that JJ doesn't have the "pop" that he had in his game last year. So questions about him wearing down or possibly still being hurt come into question. This year, we've only seen flashes of the player that we've seen for the past 2 years.

The big thing about JJ this year, is that he's not hitting the floater at a high percentage. That shot used to be money throughout his career. He doesn't have the lift and explosiveness thathe had last year, a lot like what you see from Wade this year.

He may not admit to it, but he's not 100% folks. Some games you can see the pep in his step, but because he has to play heavy minutes in order for us to win, he'll wear down a little more easily.

While he's not in the Kobe, Lebron group, he's definitely on that 2nd level. Let's see how he plays next year, before making sweeping negative generalizations about his game.

It's just a shame that this fan base has always underappreciated what he's done here.

Quote:

Quote:

Year 1 of JJ in ATL:

He's asked to play the point. When it is evident that it's not in the team's best interest to play the point, he's asked to be a playmaker type shooting guard. The result? He averages 20.5 ppg and 6.5 assists. When you look at the guys who scored a total of 1600 points, 500 assists, and had 100 steals that season, JJ is in a group that includes LeBron, Wade, Iverson, and Arenas. Kobe is usually in that group, but he didn't have the assists that year.

Year 2 of JJ in ATL:

He still has to be the playmaker on the team, seeing how our PG situation is still not settled. But he does something that no one expects, and that's really become more of a scorer. Although the season is a failure, JJ averages 25 ppg, 4 assists and 4 rebounds. He also shoots 47% FG, which is pretty high for a 2 guard/small forward that has to do it all for their team. Once again, he's in a select group of 2's and/or 3's that averaged 25 ppg or more, while shooting 47% or more. Only Wade and LeBron achieved that feat last year.

Year 3 of JJ in ATL:

The PG situation is still unsettled, although it is better than the previous 2 years. JJ is still asked to do everything. But this year, the shots don't fall as easy as they did in the past 2 years. More noteably, teams are looking to flat out shut JJ down, treating him like they would a megastar player. And it is immeadiately noticed by fans and media types, that JJ doesn't have the "pop" that he had in his game last year. So questions about him wearing down or possibly still being hurt come into question. This year, we've only seen flashes of the player that we've seen for the past 2 years.

The big thing about JJ this year, is that he's not hitting the floater at a high percentage. That shot used to be money throughout his career. He doesn't have the lift and explosiveness thathe had last year, a lot like what you see from Wade this year.

He may not admit to it, but he's not 100% folks. Some games you can see the pep in his step, but because he has to play heavy minutes in order for us to win, he'll wear down a little more easily.

While he's not in the Kobe, Lebron group, he's definitely on that 2nd level. Let's see how he plays next year, before making sweeping negative generalizations about his game.

It's just a shame that this fan base has always underappreciated what he's done here.

At the end of the day, no one would care what JJ's scoring average or shooting percentage is if the team was winning. Problem is, and this is obviously not all on JJ, the team hasn't won much with him as the No. 1 guy.

The organization had their chance at greatness several times but blew it.

A.I. and Smoove in the same draft woulda been spectacular but he chose the one player that is actually not going to most likely get extended(Chilldress is a helluva player and he has raised trade stock up tremendously but was still the wrong player taken.)

He drafted on a player with the "most potential, small need" and the player "with the most need, limited potential" and that logic has backfired on him.

To JJ's defense he hasn't had anything close to an inside presence and is just now getting a NBA caliber PG.

Quote:

Quote:

Year 1 of JJ in ATL:

Year 2 of JJ in ATL:

Year 3 of JJ in ATL:

I still love JJ and believe he's got the game to be a perennial all star, but I'm concerned that something's messed up in his head or his heart.

Despite all the losing over the first two years he always had the right attitude and seemd to enjoy being the man on this bad team.

But his attitude has been less than positive all season, and he no longer seems to enjoy being a part of this team, even though the young guys are older, we improved our talent with Horford (and Acie), and we made a move for a legit PG. He still seems put out.

I can't really blame him for losing heart under these circumstances, I'm just surprised that if that's the case that it happened as our franchise started to gain some momentum as opposed to losing heart at some point during the last couple of dreadful seasons.

Quote:

I still love JJ and believe he's got the game to be a perennial all star, but I'm concerned that something's messed up in his head or his heart.

Despite all the losing over the first two years he always had the right attitude and seemd to enjoy being the man on this bad team.

But his attitude has been less than positive all season, and he no longer seems to enjoy being a part of this team, even though the young guys are older, we improved our talent with Horford (and Acie), and we made a move for a legit PG. He still seems put out.

I can't really blame him for losing heart under these circumstances, I'm just surprised that if that's the case that it happened as our franchise started to gain some momentum as opposed to losing heart at some point during the last couple of dreadful seasons.

Why don't you guys ever notice the obvious? Why does it always have to be some grand conspiracy theory on why a player struggles, or why the Hawks can't win?

It was suggested right before the all-star break, that we maybe should shut JJ down for a few games. Why? Becaue he was hurting.

Everyone assumes that because he isn't some vocal leader, that he's som.e sort of a malcontent or something. It could very well be that JJ's body just isn't letting him kick it into that next gear. Only former athletes will know what I'm talking about here.

I tape every game I can, and you can definitey see that JJ isn't 100% when he either has a breakaway, or is on a 2 on 1 break with somebody. There's just no explosiveness there, like it was a year or two ago. He's never been a great athlete, but he looks even less athletic on some nights. He has to still be favoring that calf or leg, even if he doesn't say it publically.

And he knows he can't shut himself down ( like Arenas ), because the Hawks are dead if he does. Ish, he can brely sit out during a game, without the Hawks collasping. So a 75% - 90% JJ, is better than no JJ.

As for JJ not being overjoyed about the addition of the rookies, it looks like he was exactly right in wanting more VETERAN help. He's finally got it, but even that vet is more hobbled than he is, and is maybe only 65%.