• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Horford's defense

exodus

I have gone on about how i believe Horford is too small to guard centers effectively and i think this season has shown that, but that isn't why i am starting this thread. There is something else that i have been watching and something happened last night which really brought it home.

Chris Paul is a smart player. He is going to take advantage of mismatches when he gets the chance because that is what smart players do. Twice i saw him get matched up against Horford on the perimeter. I was curious to see what Paul would do.

To my surprise he did nothing. He didn't even try to put a move on Horford. He took a couple of dribbles like he was sizing Horford up. Ordinarily an All-Star pg loves the sight of a rookie big on him. Ordinarily high scoring guards will consistently take advantage of opposing bigs. But Paul just passed out as if to say "Ive got nothing here". It wasn't like he passed to someone that was open for a shot. It was like he just didn't want to mess with Horford.

I found this very strange. i doubt Paul knows much about a rookie big on a losing team in the East. He probably hasn't seen much film on Horford at all. But being the type of player Paul is i bet he reads the scouting reports before games. And i bet the scouting reports say that Horford is a tough take for guards. That is exactly what i have noticed so far this season.

Once against GS i saw Horford get matched up against Ellis who has been on fire. Ellis drove but Horford cut him off. Ellis changed directions but Horford cut him off again. Ellis threw up a couple of fakes but Horford didn't bite. Finally he just passed out.

That is the pattern i have been noticing. There was a game earlier this year where it came down to the last play and Horford got matched up against the opposing pg in a 1 pt game. The guy (i forget who) drove and then tried a step back J, which Horford blocked.

Horford plays off guys enough so they have trouble beating him off the dribble, but not so far that they have a comfortable shot. occasionally he will go for a pump fake but not often. I would say he is probably one of the toughest bigs in the league for guards to score against.

Quote:

I noticed that too, if only Smoove can do that instead of letting people go by him just to try and bock their shot. That to me is example of a selfish player filling out his stat sheet.

This fact shouldn't be used as a means to bash Smith for not being able to guard PGs on switches. There is almost NOONE that can do this, Smith is not alone.

And I remember Smith doing a great job on Nash earlier in the year.

I noticed Paul trying to size Horford up as well and then just giving the ball up. I could feel Horfords competitiveness through the tv. Did Al look lost, no, he looked like he would step up to the challange regardless of the results. The guy has zero fear.

I have noticed him get the crap blocked out of his shots. He doesn't hesitate or lose a step, or hang his head. He just goes after the ball to get it back to put it back in the basket. The guys has zero quit.

And I have watched Al take the football program Univ. of Florida to back to back NCAA championships. The guy is unbelievable and if we can get our management and coaching situation worked out, this guy is a piece that will make the whole team better. I believe he can will a team to victory.

As rookies wilt, Al just gets better and better.

Al, I love you man.

Hawk88

• Premium Member

Quote:

I noticed that too, if only Smoove can do that instead of letting people go by him just to try and bock their shot. That to me is example of a selfish player filling out his stat sheet.

What you're looking at is a guy who was coached well for 4 years at UF vs. a guy who didn't go to college.

Smoove tries to make up his lack of fundamental understanding of basketball with athletic ability.

While it's good that he has good athletic ability, it really hurts him against fundamental sound players.

Dat Dude Baron Davis made Smoove look like a fool because Baron knows that if you're moving backwards, it will be hard to block a high arching shoot on the run. Dat Dude Baron Davis blew past Smoove anytime he wanted to. And Smoove was visible frustrated. However, had Smoove just cut off the lane and made Baron stop and either pass or pick up his dribble, he would have had a much easier time.

I don't know if it's Smoove being selfish. I think it's more that he's untrained.

Instead of working with Hakeem on his offense, Smoove ought to go work with Clifford Ray and chief Parrish at their big man camp in the summer. Clifford Ray could teach Smoove all the nuances that he needs to know being an undersized PF.

I think Al has an amazing awareness of what his strengths and weaknesses are for a rookie. One of the former is his quickness and he uses it in wise ways which is the point re pg's. It's the kind of smarts Bill Russel used . . . . though I hesitate to mention his name in comparison. But he made better use out of his skills than just about anyone to play the game.

And to think this is his first year. If keeps it up he'll be an allstar.

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

What you're looking at is a guy who was coached well for 4 years at UF vs. a guy who didn't go to college.

Smoove tries to make up his lack of fundamental understanding of basketball with athletic ability.

While it's good that he has good athletic ability, it really hurts him against fundamental sound players.

Dat Dude Baron Davis made Smoove look like a fool because Baron knows that if you're moving backwards, it will be hard to block a high arching shoot on the run. Dat Dude Baron Davis blew past Smoove anytime he wanted to. And Smoove was visible frustrated. However, had Smoove just cut off the lane and made Baron stop and either pass or pick up his dribble, he would have had a much easier time.

I don't know if it's Smoove being selfish. I think it's more that he's untrained.

Instead of working with Hakeem on his offense, Smoove ought to go work with Clifford Ray and chief Parrish at their big man camp in the summer. Clifford Ray could teach Smoove all the nuances that he needs to know being an undersized PF.

I can't agree with this because Smoove has played more basketball and had more instruction in the NBA than Horford had in his 3 years at Florida. There are not limits on coaching time in the NBA like there are in college. There are a lot more games to play in the NBA versus college. Josh Smith has guys like Hakeem and Murphy to work with in the summer versus the pickup game type of summer play available to Horford.

I think it is as simple as the fact that Horford is just a much more fundamentally sound player with a higher basketball IQ. That is no insult to Josh Smith because Horford excels in those areas and Josh had a much longer way to go coming out of high school (the same year as Horford).