• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Grob to Toronto

Playoffs03

Glen Robinson

for

Jerome Williams + Lamond Murray + Chris Jefferies

Why should the Raptors do it?

They need to win now because their GM is in the last year of his contract. Mo Pete has been struggling without Carter and they need a consistent 2nd option behind Carter and Big Dog is definitely their guy. This deal gives them a much better cap flexibility in two years as they unload a bad contract in JYD.

Why should the Hawks do it?

One of the problem we had last year was the lack of defense. Getting rid of Big Dog improves our defense immediately and getting JYD and Chris Jefferies will make us a much better defensive team. Lamond Murray's health is a concern consider the fact that he didn't play a single game last season but he is a proven shooter from long distance and he could solve our lack of shooters problem. Jefferies is a young athletic swingman who plays good defense. He and Diaw can work on their shootings together. I know this is a risky move but this deal gives us defense, athleticism, and perhaps a good shooter and all we have to give up is a star who doesn't fit in to our team, a star who helps us better when he is not playing.

I'm beginning to think some people wanna dump Big Dog for 3 packs of Scotch Tape. This deal makes no sense. The only player who i even see making a small contribution is JYD. Lamond Murray is now a journeyman who cannot stay healthy. Chris Jeffries just will not work. And you say Toronto unloads JYD's bad contract, but what makes you think we wanna take that on? Not for a mediocre talent like him. We already have our share of bad contracts to underachieving players. Let's get realistic folks...

I'm for it if Toronto is.

JYD and 'Reef would be interchangeable at the SF/PF positions. Reef would be better at the 3, since JYD shooting range is only about 4 feet.

We'd absolutely have to find a shooter to play the SG spot. DerMarr is the first guy who comes to mind, obviously. But, I'd still like to take a look at Lucious Harris, if we can get him cheap by offering a starting job.

We'd be better defensively and be near the top of the L in rebounding.

We'd lose a little of our cap room in '05, but will still have plenty of room. Murray can play the sniper role off the bench, and Jeffries is a superb athlete and defender, much like Diaw.

JT/Dickau

DJ/Diaw/Hansen

SAR/Murray/Jeffries/Crawford

JYD/Hendu

Theo/Nazr

it's awfully risky. You get the benefit of a perhaps very solid player in Jeffries. However, from what I've seen, he's a sf in the NBA...doesn't have and probably never will the size to play inside, correct?

That's banking a lot on the assumption that Diaw can play sg. One of them would have to start, and Jeffries can't play sg...nor pf. My biggest reservation about this upcoming season, lineup as is, is Diaw, and his ability to play in the backcourt in the bigger league (see his move to the French A team from pg to sf). They teach much more fundamental basketball over there, with players fitting more of a desired role. I just worry that he's goign to really be a sf...not in the same vein, but with the same sort of range on his own shot as Shawn Marion. Don't get me wrong, they play differenly, but I'm just talking about ability to get it off. If that's the case, sg could be a difficult adjustment/fit.

Contrary to my previous posts, I Jones would be awful. He's starting to get up there, much like Spree, but his contract is for four years at the max. His game is already on the decline...that's just too long of a contract, and risks too much of our potential cap space on an above average role player to be.

After reading some of the replies from this Big Dog trade idea, I've come up with an improved version of this trade which address two things, 1) much less risky 2) sg help.

Glen Robinson

for

Morris Peterson + Jerome Williams + Eric Montross

Mo Pete is a pretty good shooter/scorer and he is young and injury free so far. He was inconsistent last year because he was asked to carry the team by himself when Carter was out. He is not capable of doing that and he had to force his shots etc which made him that inconsistent last year. Overall, he is a pretty good player and would be a good 3rd option for us. His defense won't be a significant upgrade over Big Dog, but at least he is younger and quicker. Montross gives us a big body to bang inside and nothing else, but the good thing about getting him is that we don't have to spend any of our MCE to sign a big man and we could use the whole MCE to sign a SG that can really help us now. In fact, we can even put Mo Pete at SG, JYD at SF and have Diaw and DJ coming off the bench if they are not ready. In this case, we can spend our entire MCE on whoever player we wish. I think the Raptors will still do this because they get an allstar playing at SF and have guys like Murray, Jefferies, and Lenard (resign) coming off the bench at the 2 and 3 behind Carter and Dog.

We would be taking on way too much salary for players that won't help. Jerome Williams' energy would help but not at 5 yrs of a huge contract. I'd rather have Grob for 2 years and get a stiff coach that will tell him to not dribble and play defense.

We are already over the cap and after we resign JT, we will be in luxury tax land. Spending the the MCE (say $4.6 million) on a player is actually like spending $9.2 million on that player because we have to pay a dollar for dollar luxury tax on the salary. Not likely to happen even if McDavid takes over and almost CERTAIN not to happen if AOL still owns the team. Kasten already said as much before the draft.

As for the trade, I can't imagine that we will be willing to pay a role player like JYD $6 million in 05/06 when there are a lot of players who are better than JYD who will sign for less money than that as FAs this offseason. That doesn't even take into account that more than likely, JT and Nazr will be the only players we have under contract after 04/05. I would hate for a role player like JYD to prevent us from going after top FAs in 05/06 but that would likely be the case. Remember, we will likely be trying to resign at least one of our own FAs after 04/05 (maybe more) in addition to any other FAs we may go after.