• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

David Andersen

Johnnybravo4

I've posted this before. Don't get too excited about Andersen!!! I say this as an Aussie and an Andersen fan: he's a nice player, a finess big man but he's not the kind of big man that we've all been asking for. He's not going to bang with the big boys but I'm assuming he can at least foul 6 times intelligently. I think it was BK who said that he's like Jason Collier. This is pretty true in terms of his mid-range shooting, but from what I've seen of him, I'd say that he's much more agile and faster.

So while with the absence of a draft pick I'm happier to have him on the roster than not, I'm just warning the Squawk to not expect a Scola type of rookie season just because he's experienced. Besides, Woody probably wouldn't play him much!!! But another coach however...

Here's his Euroleague numbers this year:

20games/15starts

24 mins

15.1 pts

47% FG (151 shots)

54% 3FG (41 shots)

86.8% FT

6.3 Reb

1.3 ast

0.7 Stl

1.4 To

0.5 blocks

2.5 fouls

That's at least a big upgrade to Zaza. He's 2.12M = 6'11.5. I really hope we can get this done - this is a perfect time to do it with our lack of front court depth, no picks, and open roster spots.

Wow, those stats look pretty good. Especially when you consider the fact that he has recently come back from a career threatening broken leg. That might be why his minutes are kinda low. He had been MVP of his league prior to his injury. You can see from his stats that he's not the bruising type of big man. Not many blocks, not bad rebounding for 24 mins.

As someone said earlier, he might be the type of center you want playing along side Horf. One thing that the stats don't show that I've picked up from seeing him play is that he is quite a smart/crafty player. Plays good team ball/within the system. Hope this translates to the NBA.

Quote:

As far as weaknesses are concerned, you have to start with his defense, which is incredibly poor. He shows very little in the ways of fundamentals here, not being physical at all trying to deny his man space, showing average awareness defending the pick and roll, and looking pretty soft in general on this end of the floor. He’s not a shot-blocking threat at all, and just isn’t much of a presence in the paint in general, something that opposing teams seem to take advantage of if they have a strong back to the basket player they can throw the ball to. He’s also just an OK rebounder.

click

David Andersen to the Hawks could work on so many levels. Think Utah. Metmet Okur is no defensive stud by any means. Although I don't equate Okur to Anderson, they could work in the same mold: big man that can shoot the outside shot and pull the opposition's 5 outside the paint on offense. The banger is our PF (Horford) who could compare favorably to Boozer. Smith could play the three in this line up because his lack of a jump shot would be offset by Anderson's ability to shoot. He could function like AK 47 without a jumper. He is the shot blocker. Bibby is our Deron Williams (from an Eastern Conference perspective). The X factor is JJ. Resign Childress and put Marvin on the bench and suddenly we have depth. People may scoff at putting Marvin on the bench. However, like Childress, he could get starters minutes without starting and fall back into what seems to be his preferred role (off the bench spark as was the case at UNC).

So Horford and Josh would be our interior defense (with Anderson providing whatever). Bibby, Joe, and Anderson would be our outside threats.

I honestly think this could work out...with the right coaching.

Quote:

David Andersen to the Hawks could work on so many levels. Think Utah. Metmet Okur is no defensive stud by any means. Although I don't equate Okur to Anderson, they could work in the same mold: big man that can shoot the outside shot and pull the opposition's 5 outside the paint on offense.

That will probably be his role. We need more perimeter shooting and apparently he can provide that. This is from the same article that i posted above.

Quote:

Facing the basket is where Andersen looks more comfortable, as you can tell by the phenomenal percentage
he shoots from behind the 3-point line, an astounding 61%. His mid-range jumper is also excellent—he’s very dangerous on the pick and pop--and if there was any doubt about his touch, consider that he shoots an amazing 91%
from the free throw line. He can also put the ball on the floor, not showing the greatest first step, but just serving as another weapon he has at his disposal to keep the defense honest. He’s also an excellent passer, evidenced by his positive assist to turnover ratio. Generally speaking, he’s a mistake free player who seems to know his role on the floor and is very efficient on top of that.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Andersen as an NBA starter? I don't think so. He'll be nothing more than a role player - especially in the East where all of the 5s (even the smaller ones) have an inside game.

Agreed, but depending on the cost, a role-playing big with range would be a nice addition.

Quote:

Quote:

Andersen as an NBA starter? I don't think so. He'll be nothing more than a role player - especially in the East where all of the 5s (even the smaller ones) have an inside game.

Agreed, but depending on the cost, a role-playing big with range would be a nice addition.

If we do sign Anderson would his salary count against our MLE? i would think not since he is our draft pick.

Exactly.

David Andersen won't be a starter in Atlanta, but he will give the Hawks a pick and pop guy who can play in the high post as a reserve role player. Zaza doesn't have the kind of range that David has, so I think David is a better fit and will allow the Hawks to slide Al Horford over to the four at times during the game.

Quote:

I just read Sekou's blog and apparently according to folks who went to the Super Secret Town hall meeting (where are you Lascar?)

You're funny man. I never did understand why you somehow took it personally that I wanted to let fellow hawks fans know what was said at the meetings. Anyhow I had other sh!t to do. You're funny man.

Quote:

Exactly.

David Andersen won't be a starter in Atlanta, but he will give the Hawks a pick and pop guy who can play in the high post as a reserve role player. Zaza doesn't have the kind of range that David has, so I think David is a better fit and will allow the Hawks to slide Al Horford over to the four at times during the game.

I say if we get a Del Harris he will be a serviceable starter for the Hawks.

Bibby-JJ-Jsmoove-Horford-Andersen

Quote:

Exactly.

It seems as Andersen is more a PF than center. Which in my mind it would work. I believe Zaza can still be the starting center WITH Horford next to him. Andersen can be the guy allowing Horford to switch to center as Zaza sits.

Basically, Zaza starting is better than coming in from the bench. We need Zaza to work with his feet (as flat as they are) and bulk up some more.

Quote:

Yep I think that signing him and doing a SNT with Childress for a player and some pics will solidify us.

Even though I totally disagree, even if we could we couldn't trade Chillz or Smith before the draft because their not currently on contract...

Quote:

Quote:

Exactly.

I say if we get a Del Harris he will be a serviceable starter for the Hawks.

Bibby-JJ-Jsmoove-Horford-Andersen

How will Smoove be good at the 3 spot, the only team I would like him on is the Suns or the Hornets.