• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Miami now a player in FA market!!Bill Duffy moron!

Carter's shocking oversight may allow Heat to pursue major free-agency acquistions

By Ira Winderman

Staff Writer

Posted July 4 2003

A shocking oversight by Anthony Carter suddenly has established the Heat as a major player in NBA free agency, one now with the salary-cap space to sign the likes of Jason Kidd, Jermaine O'Neal or Gilbert Arenas.

The staggering lapse by the veteran point guard effectively terminates the Heat's financial obligation and unexpectedly has it in position to spend as much as $11 million this summer on upgrades.

Instead of settling on a mid-level acquisition to help reverse its slide to last season's 25-67 record, the Heat either can offer a maximum contract to a single All-Star or afford two mid-level free agents, such as P.J. Brown, Gary Payton, Brad Miller or Lamar Odom.

Holding a player option on the third and final year of his contract for $4.1 million for the coming season, Carter merely had to inform the Heat by Monday's deadline that he would remain under contract.

Astonishingly, that deadline was allowed to pass without any communication to the Heat by Carter or his representatives. As of the close of business Thursday there still had not been any contact between the parties.

"Somebody just mentioned this to me," agent Bill Duffy said when contacted Thursday evening before abruptly ending the phone call. A call to Carter's South Florida home was answered and then hung up on. A return call was answered with a response that the guard had stepped out.

The result is the Heat has eliminated one of its most significant salary-cap headaches. On the open market, Carter does not figure to merit more than the $688,679 NBA minimum this season for a player with four seasons of experience.

The Heat had the opportunity to release Carter before the end of the season and challenge his right to therefore invoke his 2003-04 option. But coach Pat Riley said he did not believe such a gambit was ethical, nor could he be sure the maneuver would be allowed.

Carter was signed to the three-year, $12 million contract July 19, 2001, after agreeing to play 2000-01 at a minimal wage as part of the Heat's restocking with Eddie Jones and Brian Grant.

The option year was included at the end of the deal in case the statistics of the 6-foot-2 guard merited a raise after two seasons. But Carter shot a dismal 35.6 percent this season and was benched for 20 games.

The wording of Carter's agreement stated he had to "opt in" for the third year of the contract by June 30. There is not believed to be any recourse in such a deadline situation.

The Heat entered the July 1 start to free agency under the impression it could have as much as $7 million to spend on an additional player.

At that figure, there was some thought the Heat would save the cap space, wait for Carter's contract to expire next summer, and then make its move on the open market.

Instead, the Heat finds itself amid the heavy hitters in the league's offseason bidding derby. The only other teams in position to offer a maximum contract to a single player are the San Antonio Spurs, Denver Nuggets, Los Angeles Clippers and Utah Jazz.

However, Utah and Los Angeles would be removed from that group if the Clippers re-sign Elton Brand and the Jazz brings back Karl Malone.

By being freed of its commitment to Carter, the Heat is in position to overhaul its alignment at point guard.

Travis Best, last year's starter, is not expected back as a free agent. Mike James, who emerged at the top reserve at the position last season, is a free agent and is at the Indiana Pacers' summer camp.

Eddie House, the undersized shooter who also has played point guard under Riley, was not extended a qualifying offer by Monday's deadline and is a free agent. It's possible he now could return with a roster spot no longer required for Carter.

Ira Winderman can be reached at iwinderman@sun-sentinel.com"

two words...Elton Brand!

Wade/Jones/Butler/Brand/Grant

• Premium Member

Jason Terry.

Two More....

Andre' Miller.

Right now, Miami is pretty set at all positions except PG and C. Whereby they can sign a PF and move Grant to C if they choose too.

However, I think that Miami is in the market for those 2 midlevel players. I think they will shoot an offer at JT to see if it makes us buckle or if it makes us Look for a SNT. Right now, Miami wants Jones off the books. In Theory, they could offer JT a 4 year, 36 million dollar deal. While some of us would say, ridiculours, if they did it right, they'd still have a little more than the MCE to spend on another C. However, that kind of offer would make us give in to their SNT. Something like Jones/Pick for JT/Nazr or JT/Hendu. My guess is Jones/R. Butler for JT/Hendu. It makes sense from the standpoint that they would still have Plenty of Cash to go after JT's good friend Oneal?

Would that be a lineup or what?

Grant/Oneal/Butler/Wade/JT.

[censored]. That's thanks to the power that AC gave them.

We'd have:

Dickau (probably Kenny Anderson)

Anderson/Jones/Grob/SAR/Theo.

O'Neal or any other top FA. Total BS. There is no way to "do it right." It can't be done. If they have roughly $11 million in caproom and they offered JT such a deal, the deal would have to start at about 7.5 million/season. That only leaves $3.5 million for a 2nd FA and no top level FA is playing for that.

In addition, that kind of offer WOULD NOT make us give in to any sign and trade deal for Eddie Jones. We'd be better off letting JT walk and starting over in 2 years than taking over Jones' contract which would limit our caproom in 05/06.

• Premium Member

You keep talking like they don't have the money.

They have 2 very tradable large contracts that they can trade away. Think about it. Either Portland, Seattle, Dallas, or Milwaukee would be somewhat happy to get Brian Grant. I think Portland most of all. I'm sure PTL would give up Daniel and Davis for Grant. I have no doubt in my mind. If Zo doesn't go to Dallas, I'm positive, that Dallas would work out a SNT.

Then there's Jones. While we might not want him now, the fine People of Boston would take him for Walker if Miami threw a Pick on top. I think the Grizz would still take Jones... if Miami took Dickerson or maybe White Chocolate with Swift or Lo. I mean... There's a whole lot that can be done so for you to say... Can't do it is wrong.

I suppose that Miami will make a push for Brad Miller and MAYBE JT. Can they get both for 11 million? Well, if they offered JT 6 million and a 5 year deal, would we match?

BTW, wasn't it JT that Pat Riley wanted during the season. JT/Hendu/CC for Jones?

Didn't Riley have the hots for Lamar Odom? And since Dwyane Wade is a small sg, Odom would be perfect as a point forward on that team.

So if anything I figure Odom gets the biggest piece of that pie with the remainder going to Kandi or someone in the MLE market whom they would get by going slightly over it.

If those were tradeable contracts, then they would already be traded. Miami doesn't want those contracts, and neither does anyone else.

Besides, Atlanta will match any offer that isn't outrageous for Jason Terry. And based on Kevin Broom's salary formula, JT is worth a contract of $70 million over 7 years, so expect him to get something close to that from Atlanta.

Portland would indeed have loved to have had Grant back. In fact Miami was rumored to have agreed in principle to taking RAsheed for Grant/filler and the Miami lotto pick.

The problem was that reportedly Grant could not play (not would not but could not) in Portland again for "personal reasons". Who knows what was up with that?

The only way they were moving Grant or Jones is if they had included the #5 pick with one of them OR if they trade them for somebody with a contract that is just as bad as theirs. Yes, Portland probably would have considered Sheed for Grant/#5 but they [censored] sure won't take Grant for Davis/Daniels.

Let me get this straight. You'd Rather Pay Jones 4 yrs/$56 million than pay JT 7yrs/$50 million? Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. Not!