• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Great Quote from Marvin about Smoove

JackB1

"You never know what that dude is going to do, and that's what makes him so good," Williams said. " Seriously, he has supreme confidence in himself. And if you tell him he can't do something, he'll prove you wrong."

Quote:

"You never know what that dude is going to do, and that's what makes him so good," Williams said. " Seriously, he has supreme confidence in himself. And if you tell him he can't do something, he'll prove you wrong."

Smith can't hit a 3

smith can't hit a 3

Ok now I expect 2 made 3's vs. the 76ers too ! Hope it works.

Seriously though. He is a freak of nature. He has the ability to be a top 20 player no doubt and eventually a top 10 player if ever gets a more consistent perimeter game. He was playing some good position defense vs. one of the best PF in basketball last night.

I really don't mind Smith taking 3's from the corner. Those are like 2 feet closer in then 3's from the top of the circle or from the angular wings. Those corner 3's are what Bruce Bowen and many other players live on. Bibby's game tying 3 was from the corner too. Of course Bibby and JJ have the range to shoot from damn near half court but Smith just does not have that extended range yet.

Quote:

Quote:

I really don't mind Smith taking 3's from the corner. Those are like 3 feet closer in then 3's from the top of the circle or from the angular wings.

That's a good point. I'd much rather him take those as well.

he shouldn't be taking them at all but oddly enough he shoots them better from the top, which is the longest shot.

http://www.nba.com/hotspots/

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I really don't mind Smith taking 3's from the corner. Those are like 3 feet closer in then 3's from the top of the circle or from the angular wings.

he shouldn't be taking them at all but oddly enough he shoots them better from the top, which is the longest shot.

I'm pretty sure he's not going to stop taking him, so regardless of where that site says he makes them the most, I'd still rather he take them from the shortest distance possible.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I'm pretty sure he's not going to stop taking him, so regardless of where that site says he makes them the most, I'd still rather he take them from the shortest distance possible.

The distance doesn't really matter. he can't shoot jumpers inside the arc either. There is nobody in the NBA who shoots as many 2 pt jumpers as Smith does and shoots them worse.

http://www.82games.com/FGSORT7.HTM

Quote:

Quote:

Smith can't hit a 3

smith can't hit a 3

Ok now I expect 2 made 3's vs. the 76ers too ! Hope it works.

Seriously though. He is a freak of nature. He has the ability to be a top 20 player no doubt and eventually a top 10 player if ever gets a more consistent perimeter game. He was playing some good position defense vs. one of the best PF in basketball last night.

I really don't mind Smith taking 3's from the corner. Those are like 2 feet closer in then 3's from the top of the circle or from the angular wings. Those corner 3's are what Bruce Bowen and many other players live on. Bibby's game tying 3 was from the corner too. Of course Bibby and JJ have the range to shoot from damn near half court but Smith just does not have that extended range yet.

I've never had a problem with Josh (or anyone) taking 3's with a shot or game clock about to expire. He is clutch in those situations. I would prefer JJ or Bibby to take them, but Josh would be my third (or fourth if Salim counts) choice.

It's always seemed to me that it takes great jumpers longer to get consistent on their jump shot (Webber, Carter, even Nique). I guess they have to control the explosive jump to control the shot. Still though, I doubt Smoove will ever be a great jump shooter, maybe NBA average eventually which combined with this other skills will make him great overall.

Everyone needs to look at Ex's link.

IF these stats are accurate.....Smith shoots 50% for 3's from the top of the key. Wow ! Shoot more from there !

His overall 3 point FG% = .27

From the college 3 = .30

from true mid range = .27

in the paint = 59%

I can't believe his mid range shooting is as bad as his 3 point shooting.

Great game by Smoove. I'm back down to earth now and hope Smith is too. I hope Smith continues to focus on working in the paint. Screw Calvin Murphy, he didn't help you with his "shooting instructions." Work with Mark Price or Dennis Scott on shooting this off season if you MUST work on shooting.

Quote:

It's always seemed to me that it takes great jumpers longer to get consistent on their jump shot (Webber, Carter, even Nique). I guess they have to control the explosive jump to control the shot. Still though, I doubt Smoove will ever be a great jump shooter, maybe NBA average eventually which combined with this other skills will make him great overall.

I would love to see some empirical evidence on that, but the hypothesis seems sound. For example, Nique took forever to learn how to shoot straight. It might be that the ability to jump over people means you don't have to work on shooting when you are young.

The reality that Smith shoots the longer shot better than the shorter shot seems to lend creadence that its his jumping ability that is partly throwing his shot off. The longer shot means he can use up just a tad more energy in getting the ball to fall. If he is using the same energy from the corner, then the ball will rim out (which happens a lot with him). If Smith can really get consistent w/ a jumper he will be extremely hard to guard. Long story short- he needs to work on his shooting smile.gif

That said, I would rather seem him work on his handles, which are attrocious. He needs to work with Nique on all that shake and bake that Nique used to do to break guys down.

Quote:

Quote:

I would love to see some empirical evidence on that, but the hypothesis seems sound. For example, Nique took forever to learn how to shoot straight. It might be that the ability to jump over people means you don't have to work on shooting when you are young.

The reality that Smith shoots the longer shot better than the shorter shot seems to lend creadence that its his jumping ability that is partly throwing his shot off. The longer shot means he can use up just a tad more energy in getting the ball to fall. If he is using the same energy from the corner, then the ball will rim out (which happens a lot with him). If Smith can really get consistent w/ a jumper he will be extremely hard to guard. Long story short- he needs to work on his shooting smile.gif

That said, I would rather seem him work on his handles, which are attrocious. He needs to work with Nique on all that shake and bake that Nique used to do to break guys down.

Carter shot 40% from 3 his second season in the league. I doubt this jumping stuff especially since Smith doesn't get much elevation on his shot.

Gerald Green turned pro right out of hs, has little bball skill and has more elevation on his jumper than anyone i know. But he had no problem shooting 3s.

• Premium Member

This is why Josh is worth the max...

I mean, at worst, he will give us 17, 8, 3 assists, and 3 blocks... That alone is, arguably, worth a max type offer.

At best, however, Josh could become the next Garnett... That type of potential is ALWAYS worth the gamble.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Carter shot 40% from 3 his second season in the league. I doubt this jumping stuff especially since Smith doesn't get much elevation on his shot.

Gerald Green turned pro right out of hs, has little bball skill and has more elevation on his jumper than anyone i know. But he had no problem shooting 3s.

As I said its an interesting hypothesis that has no data behind it.

We both could come up with guys that can leep but can't shoot, and guys that can leep and can shoot all day. In the end, the data probably doesn't support the hypothesis...

Here is the difference.

Carter went to UNC where you are forced to play in a system and work on fundamental skills such as shooting and form. He had talented players like Ed Cota and Antwain Jamison on that team to share the brick with.

At UGA Nique was allowed to go one on one all he wanted under Coach Durham. He relied on that freakish athleticsm more so then Carter. Carter had plenty of highlight fast break dunks but Nique would just one on one some on, and dunk in there face......There has never been a guy to score so many points on dunks as the young Dominique Wilken did. When Nique would shoot a jumber he would jump 3 feet in the air even when he was open. Sure it looked cool but it made the shot harder to find a consistent release point the higher you jump. SO HE DID RELY ON HIS JUMPING ABIITY TOO MUCH. (Howard & a young Shaq may come close but they are centers). After Nique left they played as a team with Vern Fleming (excellent NBA PG for Pacers) and James Banks (Later a Euro MVP in the late 80's) lead UGA to the Final 4 the year after Nique was gone with that "team" basketball UNC has alwayse played.

Smith, like Nique never recieved "good" coaching until they got to the NBA. Carter, like Jordan and Stackhouse, had Dean Smith there to round out his game and teach how to play within a team concept beginning at the age of 18.

Now I'm not saying Hugh Durham was a bad coach at UGA. He just allowed Nique to do whatever he wanted. He gave him a different set of rules. Nobody cared b/c UGA basketball was finally relevant again. UNC wanted him but Nique probably thought Dean Smith would restrict his game. NC Sate wanted him but he would have been playing in Dave Thompson's shadow which he has publically said he did not want. Durham learned from this and lead a "team" oriented Dawg team to the Final 4 the following year.

Nique eventuall became a good shooter. Especially after the achilles injury. So too can Smith but it will be a very gradual process.

If you noticed the 3 point shots Smith made in over time. He shot them the exact same way. He squared his right shoulder to the basket and shot with a follow through much like Derek Fisher's where he squares up with his right shoulder in front with an exaggerated follow through. However, When Smith takes mid range shots he shoots them an entirely different way most of the time. His shoulders are square to the basket rather then allowing the right shoulder to take the lead (ala Dereck Fisher). There is not really a right way or wrong way to place your shoulders, its just what your best at. The key is to be consistent. Larry Bird would lead with his right shoulder a little more then average player but not quite to the extent that Derek Fisher does.

Just something the staff and Smith need to work on. Find a shooting stroke and stick with it conisistently. (That is one thing all shooters do, Bibby, JJ, and Marvin alwayse look the exact same on their shots.)

Smith shoots 70% from the ft line. He just isn't a shooter. With the exception of Bowen almost all 3 pt shooters can shoot well everywhere including the foul line.

Smith sucks on his 2 pt jumpers and he is weak from the line. He just isn't a shooter.