• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Larry Brown Wants To Coach Again

JackB1

Yes we can. Rumors are Chicago and Memphis want him too.

If I were Larry Brown I would see the Hawks as the best oppurtunity out there. He can get the low down on the roster and the inner doings of the teams past from his brother Herb and former assistant.

Memphis

Chicago

NY

Atlanta

Miwaulkee

Above are the known teams who could have coaching vacancies. The Hawks are not only the most talented team on that list but they are also one of the youngest with the most potential to improve.

However, its beginning to look like Woody could be back if the team continues on this tear to finish the season. If we finish the season at .500 and in 7th or 6th place I get the feeling the ASG may bring him back if Woodson reaches ownership's team goals this year. It seems BK may have burned his own bridge as GM though his work has finally come together. BK may want to move on b/c he may be tired of the handcuffs the ASG have reportedly placed on him with the past court ruling possibly being partly to blame.

If BK's contract is not renewed I would not be suprised if Donnie Walsh targets him as the GM to help him rebuild the Knicks due to their previous ties with the Pacers. Dolan could make BK a very rich man but BK would have to talk to the press in NY or maybe Walsh would do the talking for him. The way BK rebuilt the Hawks through the draft is the direct opposite thing that Thomas did with the Knicks in trading away picks for guys like Curry.

Quote:

Yes we can. Rumors are Chicago and Memphis want him too.

If I were Larry Brown I would see the Hawks as the best oppurtunity out there. He can get the low down on the roster and the inner doings of the teams past from his brother Herb and former assistant.

Memphis

Chicago

NY

Atlanta

Miwaulkee

Above are the known teams who could have coaching vacancies. The Hawks are not only the most talented team on that list but they are also one of the youngest with the most potential to improve.

The only issue with getting Brown is our messed up ownership. Maybe Brown is the guy that can unify the owners and get them all moving in the same direction.

Quote:

the only way I see Woody coming back is if we get past the 1st round.

Even though I'm beginning to form a soft spot for Woody, I hope your right.

When you get the chance to get a proven championship Head Coach you take it. Especially if your the Atlanta Hawks !

Its not like we are the Knicks or Lakers where great coaches are drawn to them like a magnet.

For once the Hawks could be a "hot" team on the rise and we need to capitalize on that. Resigning Woodson would not be taking advantage of our situation. We have to strike while the iron is hot, so to speak.

Quote:

I don't want him. He is the one who taught Woody to shaft younger players. I'd rather have Jeff Van Gundy.

Is the "young player" issue really accurate? Tayshaun was played immediately, and developed into a huge part of a championship team as a young player under his watch. Nate Robinson and David Lee got tons of PT as very young guys while vets like Marbury and Francis got extended bench time for the first time in their careers.

When he got the job in Detroit he was considered by NBA GMs as the BEST coach when it comes to developing young players.

http://www.nba.com/preview2003/gm_survey_031013.html

I think this characterization started with Darko, who clearly wasn't the talent everyone thought he was, or he had too fragile a psyche to survive in the NBA.

I might rather have JVG, but I just wanted to touch on this part of the LB debate because it is so important to our team.

Here's my hypothesis: Larry Brown likes any player that will run through a brick wall for him and do exactly as he says. Usually good character vets are more coachable than young or veteran renegades, or than immarture young players.

Guys like Childress, Horford, Marvin, Johnson and Acie all strike me as guys who are extremely coachable. Guys that Larry would love.

I don't know enough about Bibby yet to know, but being a coach's son and a guy generally perceived as a good guy, I think he and Brown would love each other also.

Smith's the wildcard. He has an image of being a malcontent, but I think it's WAY overblown. No way he's more complicated for a coach than Iverson or Sheed. Sheed had the UNC connection with LB, but I think the real reason he and AI had such great seasons under Brown is that they were above all else extremely competitive guys that play with fire.

Josh Smith has that in him I think, and LB could be the guy to tap into it and harness him into a truly great player.

I think it could work, I just wish LB was 10 years younger.

Quote:

Quote:

I don't want him. He is the one who taught Woody to shaft younger players. I'd rather have Jeff Van Gundy.

Is the "young player" issue really accurate? Tayshaun was played immediately, and developed into a huge part of a championship team as a young player under his watch. Nate Robinson and David Lee got tons of PT as very young guys while vets like Marbury and Francis got extended bench time for the first time in their careers.

When he got the job in Detroit he was considered by NBA GMs as the BEST coach when it comes to developing young players.

http://www.nba.com/preview2003/gm_survey_031013.html

I think this characterization started with Darko, who clearly wasn't the talent everyone thought he was, or he had too fragile a psyche to survive in the NBA.

I might rather have JVG, but I just wanted to touch on this part of the LB debate because it is so important to our team.

Here's my hypothesis: Larry Brown likes any player that will run through a brick wall for him and do exactly as he says. Usually good character vets are more coachable than young or veteran renegades, or than immarture young players.

Guys like Childress, Horford, Marvin, Johnson and Acie all strike me as guys who are extremely coachable. Guys that Larry would love.

I don't know enough about Bibby yet to know, but being a coach's son and a guy generally perceived as a good guy, I think he and Brown would love each other also.

Smith's the wildcard. He has an image of being a malcontent, but I think it's WAY overblown. No way he's more complicated for a coach than Iverson or Sheed. Sheed had the UNC connection with LB, but I think the real reason he and AI had such great seasons under Brown is that they were above all else extremely competitive guys that play with fire.

Josh Smith has that in him I think, and LB could be the guy to tap into it and harness him into a truly great player.

Great post. I agree with you. Smith and Marvin would benefit under Brown.

In terms of where I put Brown in my preferences for a coach, I think he's number 3 or 4. I would be happy with him, I guess I should say. Even if he stays for 3 or 4 years, those will be good years for the team. The next HC will have a group of talented and fundamentally sound players. I just would like to see a little more offense from Brown's teams.

• Moderators

Just a a clarification, Tayshaun Prince got a total of 50 minutes playing time in the combined months of October, December, January and then followed that with a total of 79 minutes in February. He did not play right away for Brown. In fact, he came on huge for Detroit in the playoffs which is why some people remember it differently.

Overall, he played 435 minutes over 82 regular season games his rookie year and 382 minutes over 15 playoff games. He then played 2700+ minutes every regular season for the next four years.

I do think that Brown has more trouble with young players than a lot of coaches and he would have to be committed to developing this core of young players rather than trading away the young guys he doesn't love (unless the GM believes these are good deals in and of themselves in contrast to some of the wheeling Brown got done in Philly during his tenure).

Quote:

Van Gundy is a good coach but Brown gets a bad rap for that "shafting young guys."

Ya, that Darko guy he shafted really deserverd better......LOL.

People forget how young Prince and Hamilton were when they won the Championship. Prince was 23 (in his 2nd season) and Hamilton was 25 the season they won their Champioship (2003-2004 season). Okur was 24 but in only his 2nd NBA season. You know how old Smith will be next season ? You guessed it, 23. Horford and Marvin will be 22. Prince's rookie year he only played 10 mpg. Then his 2nd year Brown played him heavy minutes and he produced. Same for Okur.

To win a championship without a star player, an unproven PG, a 23 year old starter, and 23 year old 6th man sounds like a guy who wins by playing young players if you ask me.

Look at Billups prior to the championship season in 03-04 with Brown:

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/chauncey_bil...reer_stats.html

His assist totals were that of a SG before Brown. Brown turned him into a legit NBA PG.

This guy took a young Clippers team to the playoffs to squelch a playoff drought in the 90's similar to ours and lead a starless Pistons team to a championship. Not to mention his championship in college was with all young guys.

So this notion that Brown can't coach young guys is a farse.

WHOEVER coaches this team next year will be coaching a fairly experienced team (assuming that both Joshes come back and the core remains virtually unchanged). Just MAKING the playoffs will provide our guys with valuable experience going forward and any success that we have is just cotton candy.

Acie, Solo and Mario are really the only guys returning next year who I see as developmental guys. Both Joshes, Marvin, Horford and even Zaza should continue to IMPROVE but their games are advanced enough now that I no longer consider them to be developmental guys. All of 5 of those guys are ready to contribute to the success of a winning team right now. How much they improve will determine how much success we have going forward. Obviously, JJ and Bibby are in the prime of their careers.

The bottom line is that while we have young players, I think this team is ready for a Larry Brown if Woody is not the coach to get them to the next level.

Quote:

If Brown can coach the egos and tempers of a young Iverson, Ben Wallace, and a younger and wilder Rasheed Wallace, then Josh Smith will be a piece of cake.

I agree 100000% that JJ, Law, Chillz, Horford, and Marvin are very coachable.

I think Bibby is too. Is Henry Bibby coaching now ? I knew he played in the NBA until he was like 40........

Quote:

WHOEVER coaches this team next year will be coaching a fairly experienced team (assuming that both Joshes come back and the core remains virtually unchanged). Just MAKING the playoffs will provide our guys with valuable experience going forward and any success that we have is just cotton candy.

Acie, Solo and Mario are really the only guys returning next year who I see as developmental guys. Both Joshes, Marvin, Horford and even Zaza should continue to IMPROVE but their games are advanced enough now that I no longer consider them to be developmental guys. All of 5 of those guys are ready to contribute to the success of a winning team right now. How much they improve will determine how much success we have going forward. Obviously, JJ and Bibby are in the prime of their careers.

The bottom line is that while we have young players, I think this team is ready for a Larry Brown if Woody is not the coach to get them to the next level.

Preach On !

This team may still be young but are no longer "inexpierenced." Especially after their first trip to the playoffs. They are ready for the next step now. They got their bachelors degrees under Woody. Now its time to get their masters from Brown.

Quote:

Just a a clarification, Tayshaun Prince got a total of 50 minutes playing time in the combined months of October, December, January and then followed that with a total of 79 minutes in February. He did not play right away for Brown. In fact, he came on huge for Detroit in the playoffs which is why some people remember it differently.

Overall, he played 435 minutes over 82 regular season games his rookie year and 382 minutes over 15 playoff games. He then played 2700+ minutes every regular season for the next four years.

I didn't know he played so little as a rook, but he was a huge part of their core from his second year on, and he was still a young guy.

Larry would require that every player (JJ and Bibby would probably get passes) prove himself all over again starting from scratch. The only guy I see that this could cause a problem for is Acie if he couldn't produce at the level Brown would expect.