Dallas trades:

Lafrentz, Van Ex, Wahad

for

Toni, Vaughn, Zo.

Miami trades:

Mourning

for

NVE, Wahad, Theo , and 2 (future?) 1sts

Pretty interesting. A quick question...Who do the picks come from, and when?

It makes sense for us and Dallas, but not Miami imo. They loose Mournings relatively cap friendly contract, and take back a couple of terrible contracts in Nick & Wahad. I don't see how any of the two picks could be lottery, so they don't really get help for the future. They loose Jones, keep Grant, and would be dependent on Nick & whatever they get with their lotto pick for all of their offense.

I'd take it in a heartbeat for us, and I could see Dallas going for it, but Miami...I just don't see it.

With your trades lately for the most part. Although I agree that Miami gets raped in this deal unless those picks are two high picks from Dallas, but does Dallas have any good picks? If those two picks are from us, then we are getting raped too unless you replace JV with Dion in that deal and get us a draft pick back from Miami this year. There pick is pretty high this year so they might not do it, but Dion could be that extra offensive player they need. With that pick we could get a solid Euro SF or maybe Woods/Hilario. If we cant get a pick back then we must take out those two picks if they are from us because we need those to trade into the mid first this year.

I also like that other deal you proposed...I think Raef would be great in the East and Big Dog would be a good player, but I would rather trade Theo for Battier/pick(s) or Theo for Griffin/future pick(s)

With your trades lately for the most part. Although I agree that Miami gets raped in this deal unless those picks are two high picks from Dallas, but does Dallas have any good picks? If those two picks are from us, then we are getting raped too unless you replace JV with Dion in that deal and get us a draft pick back from Miami this year. There pick is pretty high this year so they might not do it, but Dion could be that extra offensive player they need. With that pick we could get a solid Euro SF or maybe Woods/Hilario. If we cant get a pick back then we must take out those two picks if they are from us because we need those to trade into the mid first this year.

I also like that other deal you proposed...I think Raef would be great in the East and Big Dog would be a good player, but I would rather trade Theo for Battier/pick(s) or Theo for Griffin/future pick(s) because I dont think Big Dog is a very good 3rd scoring option and I dont want anyone taking the ball out of JT and SARs hands........plus I want my SF to be able to play defense. I definitely like this Raef/Jones acquisition better than the other trade, but both are pretty good.

Big Dog took more shoots last year than SAR or JT, I think he would have a hard time adjusting to a subserviant role on this team. I do like the Eddie Jones idea,but will Miami get rid of Jones and ZO in the same year. I believe ZO may be gone.

• Premium Member

The picks come from Dallas...

The reason why Miami does it is because they are faced with change. Morning wants an extension. Nobody in Miami is happy with Eddie Jone's contract/output. Miami desparately needs a PG to run the show. NVE is still one of the best A/To PGs in the game. AND...

Riley being defensive minded, trading Mourning and getting Theo/Wahad has to be very good for him. PLUS, Mourning's salary is NOT cap friendly. Mourning's around 20 million and wants a 2 yr extension. Miami doesn't have that kind of money with both Jones and Grant making 9 Million each. Finally, With Theo in, Grant might become a better PF. Grant cannot work in the post with Mourning there.

Mourning's contract is very cap friendly since they don't have to give him an extention. If I'm Miami, I'd rather have the 20 mil cap room than Wahad & Van Exel, And I'd rather unload Grant's hefty contract than Eddie Jones'.

Again, I like the trade for us and for Dallas, but I think that if Miami does decide to move Mourning, they will get a young star somewhere in the package. I think in this trade, they would at the very least insist on getting Raef in return.

No way in hell Miami does that! Miami would take a significant downgrade at Center and SG and improve significantly at PG. In addition, as you said, they would lose all they cap flexibility they would have when Zo's contract expires. I here Miami won't even do Jones/#10 for Dickerson/Knight/#4 and that is a MUCH better deal for them in my opinion than this one.

Because Micheal Dickerson has little trade value and

Knight is decent AS A BACKUP,but he costs too much.

I don't think Dickerson is all that great either to be honest

with you.

First off, A Healthy Theo for an unhealthy ZO is not a bad trade for them. It's a savings of almost 10 million dollars in cap space.

Second. Wahad is a soon to end Contract.

That would mean that the only big contract left would be that of Brian Grant and he could probably earn his keep with Theo as his C.

The two picks would be just as important too. Miami HAS TO rebuild. They are a rebuilding team now. This trade helps them to rebuild and SAVEs Money.

BTW, for as good as Jones is supposed to be, he is seen like Hendu. Overpaid.

BTW, Dickerson is Overpaid too. Plus that deal you put together leaves Memphis with no BU PG? JWill Won't.

1) Since when did Theo become "healthy?" You have been trying to trade him since he got here because you claim he is not and never will be healthy. Why is Miami then supposed to believe that he will be healthy once they trade him for Zo? In addition, the trade does not save them any capspace, it ELIMINATES any potential caproom they would have when Zo becomes a FA after next season. Theo is signed through 04/05, Van Exel is signed through 05/06 and Wahad is signed through 06/07.

2) Wahad's contract ends in 06/07 at over $7 million/season. That contract is FAR worse than Hendu's!

3)Grant's contract would NOT be the only big contract they would have left! Van Exel's contract is HUGE and Theo's and Wahad's are pretty big too. They would have NO caproom.

4) Miami could use the picks but: a) I'm not so sure Riley will play rookies despite what he says; and b) the trade does NOT save them money but rather INCREASES their payroll after next year.

5) Jones has a big contract but comparing him to Hendu is ludicrous. I would be more than happy to pay Jones' salary for his 19+ ppg and excellent D. As for Hendu, AJ and a nice new rack of basketballs is about what he's worth right now.

6) Whether or not Dickerson is overpaid or not remains to be seen. He got hurt right after signing his new contract but his past production was about right for the new deal he signed. He might not live up the contract but he may end up being a bargain. As for the deal not leaving Memphis with a backup PG, there will be plenty available. JV would be an EXCELLENT candidate for them. If Memphis could get JV for half (or less than half) of what they are paying the injury prone Knight, they would be getting a steal. Besides, the trade for Memphis was about acquiring Edddie Jones not about keeping an injury prone, too small backup PG. Please!

2)

Are you saying that you NEVER raised Theo's inability to get healthy as an issue in your endless quest to trade him? I know you claimed he had no heart and refused to play injured but are you saying that you never saw his health as an issue, just his heart? Say it ain't so!