• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The latest speculation about Woody's job security?

bumpyphish1

Anyone hearing anything? What is you guys' feelings either way as far as the possibility of him staying or going?

I hate that all I can do is pray for Woody to get fired when I should be excited for playoff basketball, but I really think the Celtics are on the mission this year...

I expect that Woody will be offered a 2-year extension. They will try to convince him that they can only give him 2 years because of the "divorce" and will take care of him once things are settled. And I also fully expect his agent to call the Bucks owner to try to get Woody hired as their next head coach. There could be some open minds out there who would say that Woody has done a good job with a very young team but was handcuffed by a flawed roster and poorly funded owners. And since Kolb gave Woody his first bench job, he may see the galss as "half full" and hire a guy with midwestern ties and that classic blue-collar approach. In other words, Woody will logically try to create another option for himself other than continue to stay with this dysfunctional organization (even when we make the playoffs).

• Moderators

Quote:

Show the man the door, he has not been a good coach in my opinion over the years.

If we somehow fade this week and do not make the playoffs- he might as well pack.

Clearly, if we don't make the playoffs he is gone.

The real question is what happens when we make the playoffs if we don't pull of a miracle in the playoffs.

IMO, bringing him back would be like bringing back Matt Doherty at UNC back when Roy Williams was hired. Sure he inherited a tough position when Guthridge left but simply more was expected than he delivered. At least he was NCAA coach of the year, this recent run is the highlight on Woodson's resume.

Agreed on him being fired if we don't make the playoffs.

If we get embarrassed in the playoffs then I think he will be a goner.

I think that if we have a strong showing in the playoffs and really give the Celtics or Pistons or whomever a tough fight then it would be very difficult for them to fire Woody considering everything that he has sacrificed for this team over the years and our definite improvement this year. I think at that point he would deserve another season, with a more complete roster, to prove whether he can be the man or not.

If we beat the Celtics or Pistons or whomever then I think he gets a multi-year extension and it will be well deserved.

Quote:

I expect that Woody will be offered a 2-year extension. They will try to convince him that they can only give him 2 years because of the "divorce" and will take care of him once things are settled. And I also fully expect his agent to call the Bucks owner to try to get Woody hired as their next head coach.

Agree on the possibibility of a 2 year extension. I doubt he gets an offer any longer then that from the Hawks. Good call on what his agent's response could be. He will definately try to get another team to offer a better deal for "leverage."

Atlanta is the better job for sure.

As of right now I will not lose any sleep if Woody leaves or if Woody stays. A very far cry from where I was last month. He has proven he can get the job done when he has the right "cards."

If we actually shock the NBA and win a playoff series Woodson can write up his own contract for all I care. He would more then deserve it. Heck, Don Nelson got a big pay bump when his Warriors upset the Mavs last year, though he had to hold out ot get it.

If we don't make the playoffs, he's definitely gone.

If we get swept out, he should be gone.

If we win a game or two and get knocked out, he still might be gone. The only way I see Woodson staying is if we somehow get past whoever we face in the 1st round, or the ASG just makes another dumb move and keeps him.

Quote:

Quote:

I hate that all I can do is pray for Woody to get fired when I should be excited for playoff basketball

That says it all about where you are at as a fan of the Hawks.

That is the stupidest thing I hear all the time when someone says something of that ilk. Being a FAN of the team is supporting and wanting the BEST for the team. Just because someone wants Woodson fired, and just so happens to disagree with you, does NOT mean he is any less of a fan than the rest of us.

My god, some people need to grow up with this "you're not a fan" stuff.

Woody will get a renewal - Count on it.

Hawks are winning now. Wasn't that the idea, to win? Well, we're doing that.

If, and that looks good right now, Hawks go to the playoffs, anything can happen.

We just might win a game or two against the top eastern team. Just because they

have won so many this season doesn't guarantee them a sweep of the Hawks.

Still, we may fall flat on our face and get blown away four times in a row. Who knows.

Our baby Hawks have grown up. Still with weak parts, but far superior to our

former team. Much better than we were at the beginning of the season.

Woody is the coach we love to hate - - That's a known factor. We all gripe about

so much he does or doesn't do. And now, maybe because of him and maybe in

spite of him, Hawks are winning. If he gets all the blame when we loose, we

must at least try to give him a little credit when we win.

It's pretty damn clear where you are as a fan when you can't decide whether you should focus on praying that the coach gets fired or focus on the team (who has been out of the playoffs for a decade) to make the playoffs. It doesn't surprise me that you think that is being a "fan" of the Hawks though.

A fan can and should want the best for his team but I too take issue with being more concerned about the coach getting fired than the success of the team. I don't care WHO is coaching the team, you should be able to get excited about the team on the verge of making the playoffs for the first time in NINE years. It's not about disagreeing, it's about wanting the team to win more than wanting the coach to fail.

There are no guarantees that a new coach is going to be any more successful than Woody has been. Larry Brown was an absolute failure in NY and there is no guarantee that he would do better here. George Karl has one of the most talented teams in the NBA and yet they are in serious danger of missing the playoffs. Scott Skiles took a playoff LOCK in most people's eyes and turned them into the biggest disappointment of this NBA season.

As for Atlanta, I was never a big Petrino fan but I never rooted against the team in hopes that he would get fired. I would MUCH rather Petrino still be here and the Falcons win than him be gone and us lose.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I hate that all I can do is pray for Woody to get fired when I should be excited for playoff basketball

That is the stupidest thing I hear all the time when someone says something of that ilk. Being a FAN of the team is supporting and wanting the BEST for the team. Just because someone wants Woodson fired, and just so happens to disagree with you, does NOT mean he is any less of a fan than the rest of us.

Oh, don't worry about me. We all know Dolfan has some serious growing up to do in both taste and attitude. Plus, he has that whole combatitive miltary personality to deal with. Just pray for him.

Quote:

It's pretty damn clear where you are as a fan when you can't decide whether you should focus on praying that the coach gets fired or focus on the team (who has been out of the playoffs for a decade) to make the playoffs. It doesn't surprise me that you think that is being a "fan" of the Hawks though.

*Sigh* Dolfan, I am starting to think you have no idea what is even coming out of your mouth (or fingers in this case) these days. There is no question in my mind that I support and love the Hawks--I just want what is best for them. I merely took issue with your calling people out for not being fans just because he wants the coach gone. It does not mean he doesnt support the team...he just has a different view of what is best for the Hawks. No less of a fan in my book. If you still can't see that, then you really are in sad shape. It's time out for immaturity and time to focus on what the Hawks can do to get 1)into the playoffs and 2)get better. We ALL have different ideas of how to accomplish the latter.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Oh, don't worry about me. We all know Dolfan has some serious growing up to do in both taste and attitude. Plus, he has that whole combatitive miltary personality to deal with. Just pray for him.

If you are a praying man, pray that Woodson is to be the best coach we've had. the best he can be. the best in the NBA. That is a rightous prayer.

Not praying for a man to be fired.