• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

It appears people will always need to be reminded

Guest Walter

Guest Walter

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/atlanta.htm

We can anticipate the 61.7 million dollar luxury tax figure in 2007 will not exceed $65 million in 2008.

We're at $44 million without JS or Childress resigned and with only EIGHT players under contract. If JS at even $11 million starting we are at $55 million. Fill out another 2 slots at $1 million per and it's $57 mil. Childress at $6.5, $63.5 million. No matter what sappy ownership wants to convey, they aren't going this high IMO, and frankly I do not see them resigning Childress. This isn't even approaching Andersen. Geeze.

When I ask for proof people bring up what 1 of our owners said contrary to the salary facts. You've got to be kidding me when people buy this BS all the time.

W

Quote:

It's better than buying into the nonsense that you spew about it. I am much more inclined to believe the owners and articles from respectable sports websites than I am someone who quotes hoopshype for his facts.

Why don't you list the players salaries and explain how we can resign Smith and Childress as well as sign Andersen AND fill out the rest of the roster without going over the luxury tax? I am sure it would be enlightening.

Quote:

We can anticipate the 61.7 million dollar luxury tax figure in 2007 will not exceed $65 million in 2008.

We're at $44 million without JS or Childress resigned and with only EIGHT players under contract. If JS at even $11 million starting we are at $55 million. Fill out another 2 slots at $1 million per and it's $57 mil. Childress at $6.5, $63.5 million. No matter what sappy ownership wants to convey, they aren't going this high IMO, and frankly I do not see them resigning Childress. This isn't even approaching Andersen. Geeze.

Luxury tax works in that you pay $1 for every $1 over the luxury tax you spend right? So even if we go over it be a few million, it's only a few extra million in luxury tax. I understand it may be a long shot to happen though.

BTW we'll have almost $20 million coming off the books after next season with Bibby/Zaza expiring. Then the next season JJ/Speedy will be done, unless we resign JJ of course. If we resign Bibby, he won't be making NEAR the $14.5 million he's making now.

So it would only be ONE season that we'd spend luxury tax, and it wouldn't be much over the tax at that. I don't expect Marvin to get alot of money unless he truly explodes which I don't expect.

You mean like this ?

14,983,603 Mike Bibby (could be 14,500,000 but I took the higher)

14,232,566 Joe Jonhson

$10,000,000 Josh Smith (resigned)

$5,757,818 Speedy Claxton

$5,636,142 Marvin Williams

$4,026,700 Al Horford

$4,000,000 Zaza Pachulia

$2,071,680 Acie Law

$2,000,000 David Anderson

$ 750,000 Salim (resigned)

$750,000 Solo (resigned)

$750,000 West (resigned)

$66,776,509 total payroll

$7 mill mid level exception for Chills which does not count against the cap.

If the luxury tax is $65,000,000 we have a little bit of tax. tKeep in mind the ownership group will be compensated with insurance paying for at least 80% of Speedy's salary. It seems like it has been more then a season since he played. Maybe he actually retires and the money comes off the cap.

The ownership gets to pocket some pure profit dollars from the playoffs too.

So yes. It can happen !

If ownership does this no one can call them cheap. They had the balls to bring Bibby in here knowing this would happen. I think they make it happen, especially after they get a sniff of playoff basketball. Season ticket prices are going up next year to help them foot the bill.

Quote:

Quote:

All salaries count against the cap. Just because teams over the cap are allowed the MLE doesn't mean it doesn't count against the cap.

Can the mid level exception be counted in the luxury tax ?

I thought that was the whole reason why it was it was created......to allow teams a little "exception" to avoid the luxury tax.

After being $10,000,000 below the cap for the past few seasons a little luxury tax should not be too much to ask for one season.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

All salaries count against the cap. Just because teams over the cap are allowed the MLE doesn't mean it doesn't count against the cap.

Can the mid level exception be counted in the luxury tax ?

I thought that was the whole reason why it was it was created......to allow teams a little "exception" to avoid the luxury tax.

No. The MLE was created to allow teams over the cap to add players to their roster.

You have the luxury tax figure wrong. This season, it was set at 67.8M.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2932279

Just going out on a limb, based on previous years escalations and the fact that the NBA is now about to embark on their new TV deal (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/2007-06-27-nba-notes_N.htm) which increases league TV revenue by 20%, the luxury tax will be no lower than 71M IMO.

If BK says we're signing Andersen, I'm inclined to believe him. Say what you want, but he is one that doesn't talk just to be heard.

I also think you have underestimated our salaries for next year - you say 63.5M with JS and Childress, I think it's closer to 71M if you resign Salim and Mario to about 1.5M combined. Add it up again. The number should be about $51M just counting players under contract right now:

Al Horford 4.0

Acie Law IV 2.1

Joe Johnson 14.2

Speedy Claxton 5.8

Mike Bibby 14.5

Marvin Williams 5.6

Zaza Pachulia 4.0

Solomon Jones 0.8

Keep in mind that Speedy's deal is something like 80% covered by insurance and the team has been making money by all published reports, and I'm inclined to believe the rhetoric. Not blindly, but in an informed kind of way. smile.gif

If we can resign our restricted FA's and Andersen, that will be a huge offseason.

BTW, the totals on hoopshype don't count the qualifying offers. That must be how you arrived at 44M. I'll make your next response for you to save some time here - "now it's even worse!". But since you made a similarly sized error on the luxury tax level it pretty much cancels out.

Your original point that we will be approaching or crossing the luxury tax slightly is still valid I think. It's anyone guess how this plays out, but I gave my reasons for optimism and you have equally valid reasons for pessimism. We shall see I guess.

I figure your link is worth pasting. I didn't think the deal went into effect so soon.

By Michael Hiestand, USA TODAY

The NBA Wednesday announced new eight-year TV deals that will retain current carriers ABC/ESPN and TNT, and allow those networks to also carry games live online and via cellphone.

The deals take effect after the league's TV deals expire after the 2007-08 season.

At present, NBA games are only available live online to consumers paying to subscribe to the NBA League Pass, a TV service where viewers can get games via cable or satellite TV that are being shown outside their local markets. But in the new deals, ABC/ESPN will be able to take the games they're airing on TV and simultaneously carry those games live online and via cellphone, which will likely lead to viewers being offered different camera shots than on TV. Also, ABC will be allowed to have teams appear six times per year, up from five in its current deal.

When it signed its current six-year TV deals, which pay the NBA average total revenues of about $765 million per year, the league publicly said it got a boost of about 24% over its previous TV deals. But on a conference call Wednesday, NBA Commissioner David Stern was asked whether the league, which just recorded its lowest-rated NBA Finals since they've been carried on TV in prime time, will be paid more in the new deals and said: "Yes. But don't push me anymore."

The deals will produce total average revenues of about $930 million per year, according to The Associated Press, amounting to a 20% increase over its current deals with ABC/ESPN and TNT.

Any MLE deals definitely count against the tax. The MLE might be as much as 6M next season, and I think that is the best offer that Childress can get on the market. So I do think it is reasonable to think that we will end up having to pay him 6-6.5M for 6 years. It's possible that we get lucky and pay less if there isn't much competition, but I kind of doubt it.

I would also amplify that point about a potential one year hit. Let's say that we do choose to extend or resign Bibby - I would hope we could do it for $10M or less. That should push us back down enough to do Marvin's deal. Again it will be close.

We at the stage that we need to find the 9 (or so) guys worth paying and do it. My dearest hope is that Andersen will finally come over and prove to be starting quality, have a good mesh, all of that. Working from BK's startling comment that he could envision Marvin coming off the bench to support a frontline of Smoove, Horf, and Andersen - I could see our main bench being Acie, Chill, Marv and Zaza (or similar). You can backup 1-5 in a versatile manner with that crew.

If it increases the approximately $2.5M from 07-08 to 08-09 that it did from 06-07 to 07-08, the luxury tax threshold will exceed $70M.

That said, your salaries are low for our payroll next year. We are actually at $51.8M for 8 players next year before resigning Smoove or Chillz. Assuming the luxury tax is $70.5M next year (which it will be if it goes up at the same rate as last year), we will need to resign them for a combined 17.7M or less to have room to sign two minimum salaried players to fill out our roster.

Of course if push comes to shove, there is nothing preventing BK from moving Zaza and/or possibly Acie to a team under the cap for picks to reduce our payroll enough to avoid paying the luxury tax. He might even be able to package Acie with Speedy if need be to create a fairly substantial amount of room (not saying I would do that just pointing out that there are options that would allow us to keep the "core" together).

Would it also be an option to give Bibby a one year extension and restructure his contract so that we knock a couple of million dollars off his 2008-09 salary and add a couple of million to what he would expect to make in 2009-2010? Or restructure Joe's contract in a similar way?

Quote:

Would it also be an option to give Bibby a one year extension and restructure his contract so that we knock a couple of million dollars off his 2008-09 salary and add a couple of million to what he would expect to make in 2009-2010? Or restructure Joe's contract in a similar way?

Sure. You do creative things to get where you need to go. Nothing is absolute, unless you're Walter and your ego is tied up in being both miserable and right. What a total d*ck you are, Walter.

I think he meant that if we extended a player we could lower their cap number. I didn't click on that link that you posted so I apologize if that link says you can't do that but I don't see any reason why you wouldn't be able to extend someone and lower their number.

years on the contract have been paid but you can't renegotiate exisitng numbers downward. In other words, Bibby is going to make $15.2M in 08-09. We can offer him an extension after June 30 but the new salary we negotiate for the extension can't start until 09-10, we still MUST pay Bibby $15.2M in 08-09.

IF Bibby had a player option and he opted out, we could sign him to a new longterm contract and pay him a lower salary next year but I don't think he has an opt out clause in his contract. Gilbert Arenas could do that in Washington if he so desired.

Signing Bibby to an extension this summer that starts at say $10M a season would be helpful when we are trying to resign Marvin in 09-10 (and when the Joshes' salaries would be increasing) but it won't help us THIS year.

• Premium Member

Quote:

When I ask for proof people bring up what 1 of our owners said contrary to the salary facts. You've got to be kidding me when people buy this BS all the time.

W

I think it depends on how far this team goes in the playoffs.