• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Best College programs.

Diesel

• Premium Member

You ever notice how a team can never be good at both Basketabll and football?

I mean a team will have some fluke years like:

Ohio State Last year... 0r when they had Jim Jackson/Scoonie Penn and Big Daddy Dan...

Or LSU two years ago.

However, how many college programs have sustained a good football and basketball program for let's say more than 2 years.

I can't think of one...

Can anybody?

• Premium Member

OK so for the past 2 years, Florida's basketball was good... championship good... and their football won the NCAA championship 2006.. but 2007 they were 9-4. 2005 they were 9-3 outback bowl. 2004 they were 8-4 Peach bowl. Basketball wise, this year Fl was 24-12... The 2004 Fl basketball team lost in the 2nd round to Villanova.

There's a 2 year lock...

• Moderators

I think Florida certainly qualifies for their recent play (although they were not an elite football school before Spurrier and are still not a top 10 basketball program historically).

UCLA is close - a good football school and an elite basketball school.

None of the other elite basketball programs are even average in football (Kentucky, UNC, Kansas, Indiana, Duke).

• Premium Member

Quote:

I think Florida certainly qualifies for their recent play (although they were not an elite football school before Spurrier and are still not a top 10 basketball program historically).

UCLA is close - a good football school and an elite basketball school.

None of the other elite basketball programs are even average in football (Kentucky, UNC, Kansas, Indiana, Duke).

Isn't it interesting how that happens?

It's like the budget goes to the dominate sport.

Just like Basketball is nothing special at UGA, FSU, Miami, Va Tech, Hawaii, etc..

Dave Odom just quit or was fired or retired at USC. Spurrier gets big cash from USC.. but Odom was like a poor man.

I was listening to some TN fans talk about their team. They could care less that the basketball team was ranked number one and was a 2 seed in the NCAA.. However, football season was all that there is. I think that certain teams has to stay pro basketball or pro football because of the historical fan base.

For instance, Notre Dame and USCal will always be pro-football schools. If their basketball team did anything... OK... however, most of all it's all about the football. Same is true with most SEC schools. However, Duke and Carolina are basketball schools. You can have the next Lawrence Taylor go to Carolina and they will still be basketball schools! This is true for every school in the big east too.

• Moderators

I agree that a huge factor in the equation is the attention.

Fans of schools get invested in certain programs and promote those

at the expense of others (UGA football/UGA basketball). When recruits

come to Florida State they know that being a member of the football teams

garners a ton of attention in the media and in the campus/community.

Al Thorton at Duke gets a lot more attention than Al Thorton at FSU.

I am sure that this is a big factor in recruiting and makes it difficult to convince a

young person who wants to be a star that signing on with the second most

prestigious team on campus is the right move compared to somewhere like

Indiana where a basketball star is going to be the biggest figure on campus.

Florida has been a successful exception to the rule but even during their

championship runs their fans still don't commit to the team like UK's do.

It is tough to elevate both programs to an elite level.

• Moderators

Quote:

Michigan bball with Rice & Robinson and the fab 5 were going to Final Four's and the football team was going to bowl games. That's one I can think of right now.

By that rationale you can include UGA. They went to the Final Four in the 80s when the football team was great.

Michigan basketball has sucked a lot more years than they have contended. I count them as being a team like Arkansas that has some moments but is usually more mediocre than dominant.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Michigan bball with Rice & Robinson and the fab 5 were going to Final Four's and the football team was going to bowl games. That's one I can think of right now.

Yeah, but there's no continuity. You can say the same about Fla at one point... However, as time goes on, what has Michigan Basketball done since the final four left? I think they went to the finals two years in a row. I don't remember what their football team was doing at the time, but year three, they were a 16 dropout... and year 4... they were a huh?

Fla is perhaps the closest team to meet the three year rule.

I would say that Texas is another program.

Maybe you can get some love from Louisville.