• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

DID anyone read the Newble article Carefully??

Diesel

• Premium Member

Kasten told Newble, "I Can't pay YoU".

I think it shares some truth with us. Kasten and Knights hands are tied until the deal is finished. IF someone was to make a strong run at JT, we probably don't have the authority to match that either.

• Premium Member

First OFf, I haven't seen any reference to how much Cleveland offered there Kasten... I mean Swolehawk.

However,

Even so, We already know what Ira is capable of. I'm not a big fan of TCJ but I do know that he has shot near 50% and was a very good defensive stopper for this team. He's worth more than say... Porter or Benjamin to us. I would like to know if it was a case of the flesh being willing but the pockets empty for Kasten or if Kasten can't make any moves. I mean realistically, who are we looking at. The only things that I hear is us being in talks with the KNicks (POST) and us talking to Miami about SNT of Terry (Herald). If either case is true, it seems that we are more apt to trade than to spend money.

i.e. we can't spend for Nothing until the deal is done.

There is still Dion available. Has anybody heard any news on GLove?, are there any teams interested in signing Dion? I don't think DIon can demand alot of money since he really hasn't made an impact. Give Glove a year contract for a million dollars.

Sounded like he just didn't get an offer from us.

Do the Hawks have any bidding rights or anything? Or,

is this just going to be a total loss for us?

Newble showed a lot of improvement. He was the one

Hawk that was always bustin' his [censored] all the time. His

scoring ability improved a lot while he was here and his

defense is {Or was} our best.

GET THE DEAL DONE!! THIS IS KILLING US -------

The players are moving all around. Our feet are firmly

planted in cement and we can't even get in the race,

just stand and helplessly watch. When the deal is done,

we can at least run, but, by that time it may be too

late to catch anything..........................

"The Cavaliers are thought to be offering Newble half of the mid-level exception, about $2.45 million, for the first year, which may have been more than the Bulls were expecting to pay." Chicago Daily Herald

That is just for the first year. I read somewhere else it is said to be a three year deal.

I agree. If anyone is worth that much, he is. Our best,

at least I think, defender on the team. Hustles all the

time, has improved his shooting and is big enough that he

doesn't get shoved around under the basket.

Loosing Neuble hurts, especially at that price. I don't

believe they can do better, not even close to as good,

as keeping him.

Hopefully, something else is in the works that we don't

know about. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

under our current circumstances. That's just the way it is. Signing him to a deal like that makes absoulutely NO sense when we have yet to resign JT. I'd MUCH rather have DJ back than Ira but I wouldn't sign DJ to that deal either if it meant we couldn't resign JT.

It's not that Ira isn't worth $2.45 million over several years, he is to some teams. The problem is that we are not in position to pay that much for a role player.

I think Ira offers a lot to a team. I actually think he is a solid NBA offensive threat, not great, but he can hit the open shot or cut to the basket. But he doesnt fit our team. Ira is a SF but we try to use him as a SG where his lack of ball handling kills us. DJ also is weak in this area. That's why I think we drafted Diaw and even Hansen. Both supposedly bring good defense but also can handle/distribute. If that's true we wont need Ira and even though DJ may come back, and he did turn out to be a wasted draft pick, we wont really need him either. I'd still sign Dion and then a cheap backup bigman and see what Fratello can do with those guys!

I like Newble, but he is a player that lacks skill and gets by on heart, energy, hustle, and grit.

Sorry, but there are 10 players lined up ready to do the same things he has done on the court that are perfectly willing to play for the league minimum.

Two of them are on the summer league team. Corey Benjamin and Chris Porter could both replace the energy and hustle that Newble brought to the table. I happen to think that both are better pure athletes as well.

And, the Hawks will probably sign both of them to a league minimum deal.

[censored], look at Benjamin in the summer league. He's playing right at 10 minutes a game and is averaging right at 8 ppg on 48% shooting. He's easily the most productive player per minute on that court. Not to mention that he is willing to play defense, runs the floor very well, and isn't a selfish player at all.

Porter plays about 10 minutes a game and is averaging about 4 ppg in those 10 minutes. He's getting rebounds, stealing passes, and he's probably the best overall defender on the summer league team.

These guys can do what Newble does.

"Our best,

at least I think, defender on the team. "

I think that you are right. At times it appeared that he was the only one playing defense. However, I don't think that makes him a great defender. I think that he is very good but not great.

Half of the MCE is about what I would expect for Ira. It would be nice to keep him, don't get me wrong, but obviously given the state of flux that we've been in, and the money woes it hardly seems to have been a priority.

I'm just happy that they've let Glover go.