• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

David Andersen

T21

I believe strongly that Hawks would have a huge benefit if they sign Andersen (who is free BTW) in the offseason.

Let me explain:

He is legit 7-footer, who can play in the post and has unbelievable shooting range (easily hits Euro-3's). This guy also has huge experience, playing for best Euro teams for the past 6 years. He's also at least capable defensive player. He won 3 Euro League tittles (or 4, I'm not sure)... I saw him in at least 50 gms during past 6-7 years and I know what I'm saying.

In other words, its very hard to find skilled and experienced 7-footers in this day and age, and here's the one who perfectly make sense and fits well with our Hawks.

He would perfectly complement and strenghten' our frontcourt rotation, plus Hawks wouldn't be forced to make any trades for obviously needed BIG!

P.S. I don't think Hawks need to make major moves (roster-wise), just few brush-strokes to round-up already strong group with huge potential... I'll just remind you of the moves Hawks made before 93/94' season. They signed Craig Ehlo and Andrew "Clubber" Lang! It strenghtenned our bench, rotation and enabled Hawks to play high-octane basketball for 48 minutes. Result = we won 57 games, and if fu.... Babcock and Lenny didn't trade Nique, Hawks would have had the chance to contend for the tittle, which was up for grabs that year!

It's good to hear from someone who actually has seen him. I agree with you points. Sounds like Okur. He's been successful. DA's shooting could also kill two birds with one stone: size and outside shooting. Your point about his expience in playoffs is also well taken.

It's my opinion that the Hawks need to attempt to model themselves on the Utah Jazz. I just make that observation by looking at what we have on the roster right now, and the success that Utah is having with their current roster doesn't make it a tough call. They're set up so that pretty much anyone who is skilled can just be plugged in anywhere with some amount of success. Paul Millsap, for example, can fill in at PF and C even if he's undersized.

Even if DA isn't as good as Okur, we don't have to literally follow the Jazz model precisely. They certainly don't have a player analogous to JJ, just like we don't have anyone analogous to Deron Williams. Acie Law might develop into a good PG in a couple of years, though, so who knows? But Horford is fairly similar to Boozer, Josh Smith is somewhat similar to AK (not as a good a shooter but more athletic), Josh Childress is like Matt Harpring, Kyle Korver is like MW with better range, so we could begin to replicate what they're doing over there. There's a lot of promise on this roster to improve.

If David Anderson is anywhere near 7 foot and can hit an outside shot then he is our missing link. Woody's pick and pop with Horford and ZaZa is just useless because neither one of them can hit an outside shot. (although that might not be the case for Horford in a couple of years) If Anderson is capable of hitting the 15 footer, a la Brad Miller, Rasheed Wallace, Memet Okur, Zydrunas Ilgauskis, or Andrea Bargnani - then he really is the answer to our undersized front court. The only way a Horford / Smoove frontline works long term is with a slick shoting Center like Anderson to pull folks like Kedrick Perkins, Sam Dalembert, and Brendon Haywood out of the paint. Let Smoove and Horford work without a tree stump in the middle and we look a whole lot better. Let Joe play pick and roll with a center that can hit a jump shot we look even better still.

Quote:

If David Anderson is anywhere near 7 foot and can hit an outside shot then he is our missing link.

He is 6'10". He shot 20/33 60% from the FIBA 3 Pt line in the euroleague. He averaged about 2 attempts per game. The 3pt line is 20'9". So he is good to at least 21'. I don't know if he can hit a NBA 3Pt though. He is also an excellent FT shooter, hitting just over 90%. We know the NBA is a different ballgame, but he is a treat from outside, which will open up the inside, for Horford and our slashers to work in.

A couple of points.

a) DA is a little bigger than 6'10". he's listed as 2.12m, which would be 83.46 in, or 6"11.5.

b) if you can shoot 60% from 21', you can shoot the NBA trey. That's not a big sample, but you can look at his 06-07 CSKA numbers and they were similar (about 50% over 70+ games and about 85 shots). He can shoot it. The cup is the same size over here as it is over there.

c) he's at a great age (27), and he's been a winner

Got to have him. Sounds like a damn sight better than Zaza, at the minimum.