• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Trade Marvin now or...

joshuaneder

Quote:

Childress only averages 1.9 ppg from the field during the last 8 seconds of the shot clock.

http://www.82games.com/0708/07ATL8A.HTM

Find one wing player in the NBA who plays at least 20 minutes per game and scores worse in the last 8 seconds of the shot clock than childress.

crap like this is why I hate stats.Look up how how many quarts per bathroom break Childress excretes on that site because it has all the BS u can think of.Last 8 econds of the shot clock?what the [censored] is that?Childress prolly scores alot within 23-24 seconds because he puts back his teammates bad misses.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"crap like this is why I hate stats."

Exactly Cwell...Stats aren't everything. You watch the games and you see things - or the lack of things.

The "honest-to-gosh" killer with Marvin is that he doesn't shoot threes. As a SF who isn't a physically dominant player you HAVE to shoot threes. period...exclamation point...wtf Marvin? A quality team NEEDS a SF who can shoot 30%+ on threes.

Quote:

Quote:

Childress only averages 1.9 ppg from the field during the last 8 seconds of the shot clock.

Find one wing player in the NBA who plays at least 20 minutes per game and scores worse in the last 8 seconds of the shot clock than childress.

crap like this is why I hate stats.Look up how how many quarts per bathroom break Childress excretes on that site because it has all the BS u can think of.Last 8 econds of the shot clock?what the [censored] is that?Childress prolly scores alot within 23-24 seconds because he puts back his teammates bad misses.

He scores by cherry picking and follow ups. and when he ignores his defensive assignment to crash the offenive glass and doesn't get the rebound he will be trailing the play on defense.

Have you ever stopped to think why everyone doesn't crash the boards on offense? It is because it leaves you vulnerable in transition defense.

Our half court offense is horrible and Childress' inability to score in the half court set is a big reason why. He averaged less than one made jumper per game on the season. That is just pathetic considering he played 29 minutes per game.

If the choice is to play Chillz or Marvin at 3...my choice would be neither...but I do appreciate Chillz work under the boards as a garbage man and his movement without the ball...so I'd play Chillz...but I'm not impressed with either one if you put them against a normal 6-7 athlete who can create his own shots and shoot 3's at a reasonable rate.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

He scores by cherry picking and follow ups. and when he ignores his defensive assignment to crash the offenive glass and doesn't get the rebound he will be trailing the play on defense.

Have you ever stopped to think why everyone doesn't crash the boards on offense? It is because it leaves you vulnerable in transition defense.

Our half court offense is horrible and Childress' inability to score in the half court set is a big reason why. He averaged less than one made jumper per game on the season. That is just pathetic considering he played 29 minutes per game. another dumb stat.yes Childress has his faults but he's not a scrub like u make him out to be.He's more valuable to any team than Marvin yet u act like Marvin is all good and Childress is all garbage.We need a better starting SF and better bench players because I don't think Childress should play all those minutes anyway unless he's with guys that can score on their own.atleast Childress could hit a few 3's this year though.He's the only guy that can find a way to get open for easy shots.He's always finding a way to slip to the basket for an easy two.The rest of the guys stand still just like Woody's no offense system

Of course many Hawksquawkers would like to keep him and watch him blossom into an all-star SF or trade him for a quality center. Neither of those things are gonna happen.

I think you are right here. Maybe the best thing going for us is that he will coming into a contract year soon and have to sh!t or get off the pot. Dude has to take his game to the next level and that means shooting three's and mixing it up more inside. Both are things that he can improve on. The qwuestion is will he?

The main reason to move Marvin is Al Horford. Al is so much better than marvin right now, we have to have him at the 4. The need for balance requires a veteran wing and a center of note. I believe Zaza is fine as a backup or starter provided we have a like player as center too share the spot (Solomon is not, DA may be). Josh Smith and Marvin are the big bait. JSmith can bring much, Marvin is addition by substraction.

Oh, Chillz is much the better player, than Marvin.

IMO you don't trade Marvin just to trade him, or because to this point he's been somewhat a disappointment relative to his status as a #2 overall pick. You only trade him if you receive proper value in return....and what proper value is, I have no clue- because I have no idea how NBA general managers regard him- whether they still see him as a guy with loads of talent and potential, or not so much. Otherwise, what's the point in making a knee-jerk trade just to get rid of the guy or because many of us perceive him as a disappointment? You do that, you're just moving laterally at best, and you're moving backwards at worst.

Quote:

Our half court offense is horrible and Childress' inability to score in the half court set is a big reason why.
He averaged less than one made jumper per game on the season.
That is just pathetic considering he played 29 minutes per game.

Not to throw gasoline on the fire, but most of the stats that 82games.com measure favor childress over MW.

http://www.82games.com/0708/playoffs/0708ATL.HTM

http://www.82games.com/0708/playoffs/0708ATL1.HTM

MW had the worst +/-, the next to worst roland ratings, etc, etc.

And that is also true of the regular season:

http://www.82games.com/0708/0708ATL.HTM

http://www.82games.com/0708/0708ATL1.HTM

Not that all of this necessarily means anything (as those same stats show Lue better than Bibby), but if stats is where discussion is headed, these things are relevant.

• Premium Member

Quote:

IMO you don't trade Marvin just to trade him, or because to this point he's been somewhat a disappointment relative to his status as a #2 overall pick. You only trade him if you receive proper value in return....and what proper value is, I have no clue- because I have no idea how NBA general managers regard him- whether they still see him as a guy with loads of talent and potential, or not so much. Otherwise, what's the point in making a knee-jerk trade just to get rid of the guy or because many of us perceive him as a disappointment? You do that, you're just moving laterally at best, and you're moving backwards at worst.

Proper value...

I will tell you this... Other GMs are not going to be so enamoured by Marvin because:

1. He's a SF. (dime a dozen).

2. He hasn't broken out in 3 season with over 26 mpg.

3. It's hard to note any value.

I think other GMs would trade for Marvin, but you're talking about either old players, players with big contracts, or players who are equally questionable at other positions.

That's why I am for a Marvin for Raja Bell/1st.

Quote:

Not to throw gasoline on the fire, but most of the stats that 82games.com measure favor childress over MW.

http://www.82games.com/0708/playoffs/0708ATL.HTM

http://www.82games.com/0708/playoffs/0708ATL1.HTM

Roland ratings are pretty useless in small sample sizes.Do you really think Childress was better against Boston than JJ?

Quote:

MW had the worst +/-,
the next to worst roland ratings, etc, etc.

And that is also true of the regular season:

http://www.82games.com/0708/0708ATL.HTM

http://www.82games.com/0708/0708ATL1.HTM

Marvin was actually leading the team in Roland Ratings into January but he got hurt and his numbers in Feb (11 ppg shooting 35%) killed his season numbers.

Childress and Marvin finished basically tied, -2.7 and -2.8 net +/- for 48 minutes. A 10th of a point is hardly enough to say someone is better.

Quote:

As I said before.

ALL Ex sees are PPG.

That's the problem.

Walter was correct,

Ex Evaded the question.

What i see is a guy who has been in the league 4 years and still can't manage to make 1 jumper per game. That is like a 7 footer who can't dunk. It is a joke.

It isn't a coincidence that our perimeter game is weak when we have a wing player playing 30 minutes who is the worst perimeter scorer for his position in the NBA.

Quote:

I will tell you this... Other GMs are not going to be so enamoured by Marvin because:

1. He's a SF. (dime a dozen).

2. He hasn't broken out in 3 season with over 26 mpg.

3. It's hard to note any value.

So when did Childress have his breakout season? This year he averaged only 2 more ppg than he did as a rookie.

Guest Walter

all-around statistic that suggests that MW is a better BASKETBALL PLAYER (not scorer, although he is FAR less efficient) than Childress. Not one. Not one in all their years playing. Not one. Not a single OVERALL stat. Not one. Get it?!? Just insulting (to you and me) rhetoric.

Quote:

Quote:

You are an idiot, sure marvin falls sometimes, but to say that he is a bad basketball player shows that you know nothing about basketball.

I never called MW "bad". I called Childress better overall, meaning a BETTER BASKETBALL PLAYER! I will add that MW is bad for a #2 pick and worse for a #2 pick than Childress for a #6 pick, but that isn't saying much.

Quote:

Stats are there for a reason and right now marvins stats are good not great but not average.

The question was whether you can provide evidence of MW's "good" stats (but not overall) being BETTER THAN Childress' overall stats. You cannot as proof of your insults and avoidance. I alluded to this in my challenge to you. You didn't balk, or even slience yourself. Worse still. You choked on it.

Quote:

He is an above average small forward at the age of 21 jj had his broke out year at age 22 marvin still hasnt had his breakout year even though he put up better stats than joe during his breakout year.

First, JJ's rookie year per48 TENDEX was higher than MW's 1st or 2nd year. This was despite JJ not playing much in Boston or getting many opportunities. MW has gotten so much burn by Mike Woodson it ain't even funny. BK even traded Al to make room for MW. Still MW is no better if not worse PER than he was when he started. More importantly, how does ANY of this go to suggest that MW is better than Childress OVERALL or is a better BASKETBALL PLAYER than Childress. THAT was the question right? We're not choosing between JJ and MW. We may be choosing between Childress and MW (and what each can bring in trade).

Quote:

This by itself shows that marvin is a special talent.

The fact that OVERALL per48 he wasn't as good as JJ was his rookie year shows what again? MW is a special waste. He may have talent but it will take a strip mine to excavate it from him.

Quote:

I suspect that if smoove gets traded he would average around 18 points. Now let that sink in, the guy that you wanted to trade is averaging 18 points at the tender age of 22

WTF? We traded Al for him already and gave MW the keys to the city. What else does the guy need? How many handouts does he need? He came in out of shape, doesn't like watching basketball, and has to be prodded by assistants ACCORDING TO HIM to work on his game in the offseason. Special alright.

Exodus, where's the beef?!?! You can pick ANY overall statistic to demonstrate that MW is a better OVERALL BASKETBALL PLAYER. Any one. What do you do? You CHOKE on the challenge, name call, and make an ass of yourself. Give it a rest.

W

Quote:

all-around statistic that suggests that MW is a better BASKETBALL PLAYER (not scorer, although he is FAR less efficient) than Childress. Not one. Not one in all their years playing. Not one. Not a single OVERALL stat. Not one. Get it?!? Just insulting (to you and me) rhetoric.

A simple yes or no will do.

We have to make a decision on Childress RIGHT NOW. We don't have to make a decision on Marvin until next summer.

Guest Walter

Yes.

We don't HAVE to make a decision on MW yet but it would be smart to. That decision IMO is to trade him. Preferably packaging him with ZaZa to get a better big or even a Pg (Calderon)

Mind you, if I can get excellent value for Childress in a trade I would do that also. However, I'm counting on the all but gone fairy dust formerly surrounding MW to still glint and catch someone's eye. Trade him and you might get more while also retaining the more productive player in Childress.

W