• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Possible GM and Head Coach Pairings

KB21

This is just something I'm throwing out to get some discussion about this going on. If the rumors are true that the ASG has zoned in on four possible general manager candidates, and the general manager will have authority in the coaching moves, then I thought it would be a good idea to pair the possible general managers up with a list of names that they would possibly hire as the head coach. The only premise that I am using in making this list is the fact that more often than not general managers will hire someone they have had a previous association with or has a connection to through other people.

With that said, here are some names that I came up with:

Dave Wohl, general manager

Based on his history, Dave Wohl seems to be a guy that is cut from the Pat Riley mold. He started his career as an assistant on Riley's staff with the Lakers and he spent time with Riley in Miami as the VP of Basketball Operations. Dave has also spent a lot of time on Doc Rivers's staff, whether it is in Boston or Orlando. So, who are some of the names that we might see mentioned for this job if Dave Wohl is hired as the general manager?

1. Jeff Van Gundy - Jeff Van Gundy is a Pat Riley protege and would probably fit in with the mindset that Dave Wohl may have, though I'm not sure what Dave's overall philosophy is. If he does believe in the Pat Riley philosophy, then he will want a coach that is tough, hardnosed, and defense oriented. Jeff Van Gundy would bring the kind of experience the Hawks need as a head coach as well.

2. Tom Thibodeau - Tom is a current Boston assistant, who oddly enough replaced Dave Wohl on Doc's staff in Boston. Tom was a long time assistant to Jeff Van Gundy in Houston and New York before his current stint in Boston. He is cut from that JVG mold in that he believes in strong discipline and tough, physical defense.

3. Tony Brown - Tony was an assistant on the same staff that Dave was an assistant on in Boston, and his name has been mentioned in the past as one of the top up and coming assistant coaches in the game. He spent this past season on the Milwaukee Bucks staff and has previous coaching experience on Larry Brown's and Mike Dunleavey's staffs in Detroit and Portland.

Dennis Lindsey, general manager

Dennis is currently within the San Antonio Spurs organization learning a new philosophy, so this is something he may take into the job if he is hired as the general manager. Dennis also served within the Houston Rockets organization for years before he was hired by the Spurs, and he could dip into his Carroll Dawson/Rudy Tomjanovich connections to find a head coach. So, who would he bring in as head coach? Here are a few names you might see pop up.

1. Avery Johnson -- There is no direct connection with Avery Johnson, but I have read in some of Dennis Lindsey's blogs that he is very fond of Avery Johnson. Dennis is a guy who not only kept an eye on his Houston Rockets, but he paid a lot of attention to the teams in Texas. He not only respects Avery's coaching ability, he also realizes that Avery is cut from the Greg Popovich philosophy.

2. Mark Budenholzer -- Mark is currently San Antonio's top assistant, and I've seen him mentioned as a possible head coaching candidate in some places.

3. Tom Thibodeau -- Dennis is familiar with Tom from their days together with the Houston Rockets.

4. Jeff Van Gundy -- Would Dennis hire the guy the Rockets replaced this past season?

Tommy Sheppard, general manager

Tommy is probably the least experienced of the names on the list, but he is held in high regard around the league at this point. The bulk of his experience comes in Denver, and I will throw out a couple of names that he might be interested in bringing to Atlanta if he is hired as the GM.

1. Jeff Bzdelik -- Jeff would be an interesting hire. He did an excellent job in Denver, but he and Kiki didn't get along, so Jeff was canned around the same time Tommy left that organization. Jeff believes in strong defense and has done an excellent job of honing his skills at Air Force.

2. Scott Brooks -- Scott is currently an assistant on Seattle's staff and has been mentioned as a strong head coaching candidate by many. Tommy is familiar with Scott from their days together with the Nuggets. Scott would bring a point guard's mentality to the coaching position.

John Gabriel, general manager

John is easily the most experienced of this group, and therefore, his coaching network is going to be a lot broader than the previous three candidates. There is really no telling who would be on Gabriel's list. I came up with a couple of names that he might look at though.

1. Eric Musselman - Eric was an assistant in Orlando when Gabriel was the GM, and at that time, Eric was considered to be one of the up and coming assistants in the league. His head coaching experience has mixed results at this point. He's neither been terrible nor great to this point. He is a guy that John Gabriel might consider though.

2. Mark Jackson - John did this once when he hired Doc Rivers as the Magic's head coach. Could he do it again with the most mentioned head coaching candidate that has no coaching experience?

3. Mike Fratello - There is no connection that I can find, but Mike is available and would like to get back into coaching. John has hired a former Fratello assistant and former Fratello player as head coaches though, so he does seem to like the Mike Fratello philosophy.

By Sam Amick - samick@sacbee.com

Last Updated 12:15 am PDT Saturday, May 17, 2008

Print | E-Mail | Comments (14)|

Ron Artest, who can control his free-agency fate this summer, indicated via e-mail late Thursday night he's not planning to leave Sacramento.

Paul Kitagaki / Sacramento Bee Staff Photo

The Kings futures of small forward Ron Artest and basketball president Geoff Petrie appear likely to be extended.

Artest, who can control his free-agency fate this summer, indicated via e-mail late Thursday night he's not planning to leave Sacramento. Also Thursday, Kings co-owner Joe Maloof said he intends to pick up the 2009-10 contract option for basketball president Geoff Petrie.

Artest - who has until June 30 to exercise an early termination option in his contract for the 2008-09 season - said he and his agent are not plotting to explore free agency.

Although his agent, Mark Stevens, did not return numerous calls for comment, his last public stance has been that Artest is "not likely" to opt out.

"My agent is on a business trip," Artest wrote. "We have not talked about opting out at all."

Although Petrie's contract has one season remaining with a team option for the following campaign, Maloof told The Bee by phone Friday he remains loyal to Petrie and doesn't want him to go anywhere.

"We're picking that (option) up," Maloof said. "Put that in the paper. Whatever his option is, we're going to pick it up. We think he's the best."

According to a league source, Petrie, who has been with the organization in a front-office position since 1994, proved his loyalty to the Kings last week. Atlanta Hawks officials inquired if Petrie was interested in filling the Hawks' vacant general manager position, but Petrie rejected the overtures. The source requested anonymity because of the private nature of the talks.

Since late last season, Artest has spoken as if he will remain with the Kings for the final year of his contract, worth $7.4 million. In the e-mail, he said the Kings' numerous injuries kept them from making strides beyond their five-game improvement from the 2006-07 campaign.

"The (ongoing) playoffs just got me thinking that if me and Kev (Martin) (played) the majority (of last season) and Mike (Bibby) doesn't miss all those games, we could have piled on 12 or 18 more wins," Artest wrote. "That would have put us at 56 wins, and that is still a failure."

Artest, of course, deemed last season a failure and has taken the general stance that anything less than a championship is a lost cause.

He continues to affiliate himself with the Kings in ways even beyond the NBA team. Tonight at Arco Arena, Artest is scheduled to be an analyst for the Maloof-owned WNBA Monarchs as they host San Antonio in the regular-season opener. Artest will provide color commentary for radio and handle television duties in the second

If that is true, then I certainly can't complain about the way this is unfolding. The ASG is taking the correct approach with the way they are doing this. They are looking for a general manager before making a decision on the head coach, it appears, and I cannot complain about that. No one else should complain about it either.

It also appears that they haven't set their sights on those that are available and convenient like a Billy King. If they approached Geoff Petrie, then they went after one of the best GMs out there to fill this position.

Quote:

I think you also have to consider the connection between...

Sheppard - Eddie Jordan - Rick Adelman - Ty Corbin.

Also, John Gabriel - Doc Rivers - Tom Thibadeaux

And, Dennis Lindsey - Houston Rockets - Mario Elie

I'm trying to figure out the Rick Adelman to Ty Corbin connection. I wasn't aware that Ty ever played for or coached with Rick Adelman.

Agreed . . . . . if it is true. I don't think there is much chance that they'd hire someone like that with the plan of keeping Woody. can't see that happening. This is really a 'career decision' for the franchise and if they make a quality decision like this it sets the tone for a decision about a coach, FA, etc. But I'm not holding my breath.

• Premium Member

Quote:

I think you also have to consider the connection between...

Sheppard - Eddie Jordan - Rick Adelman - Ty Corbin.

Also, John Gabriel - Doc Rivers - Tom Thibadeaux

And, Dennis Lindsey - Houston Rockets - Mario Elie

Not to mention John Gabriel and Bob and Brian Hill.