• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Would you trade J.Smith for Michael Redd?

pimp

we could probably get redd for less, i believe that bucks are going to blow it all up and start over with bogut yi and sessions. We could probably get redd for bibby and chillz i still dont feel like marvin is useless. And i dont like the idea of jj and redd, itll be like ai and melo all over again. And horford will probably regress. If we trade marvin smith or bibby we need to get back a center and a point. Or just a good center because i want acie to progress. i would trade chillz and speedy for camby or if ai goes, i would trade bibby straight up for camby if the salaries match

• Moderators

Quote:

I would be hesitant to trade Smith for Redd but i think people are underestimating Redd. He is a top notch scorer who can routinely create his own shot facing the best perimeter defenders on the other team. He gets to the line at a fair clip also. With him and JJ together they can't double both of them.

True but I am very concerned about trading for someone without more than a couple more years remaining as a standoubt.

When Mitch Richmond was traded he was 3 years older and averaging 23.2 ppg; 3.3 rpg; 4.0 apg; 1.3 spg.

While acknowledging the age difference, that is pretty similar to Redd's 22.7 ppg; 4.3 rpg; 3.4 apg, 0.9 spg.

I am not saying Marvin is useless. I have been on here defending him enough that you should know that. But Redd is an elite scorer.

Having Redd and JJ on the perimeter would open up the middle for Smith and Horford. it would also make it easier for Acie to drive and finish, or kick it out to someone who can actually make a shot.

Quote:

Quote:

I would be hesitant to trade Smith for Redd but i think people are underestimating Redd. He is a top notch scorer who can routinely create his own shot facing the best perimeter defenders on the other team. He gets to the line at a fair clip also. With him and JJ together they can't double both of them.

True but I am very concerned about trading for someone without more than a couple more years remaining as a standoubt.

When Mitch Richmond was traded he was 3 years older and averaging 23.2 ppg; 3.3 rpg; 4.0 apg; 1.3 spg.

While acknowledging the age difference, that is pretty similar to Redd's 22.7 ppg; 4.3 rpg; 3.4 apg, 0.9 spg.

Even assuming his production does start to decline a bit he will have much less defensive pressure on him here next to JJ.

It isn't like we would be giving up much. I defend Marvin a lot but i have no hope of him ever being an All-Star, or close for that matter.

Redd at 35 would still probably have more value than Bibby/Marvin.

I'd do it. And this is coming from a Smith fan, but I just think that would be a great lineup. Redd can really shoot.

Now, I say this assuming Woody is coming back as the coach. If we actually get a coach with a brain who could get Smith to play under control, I would want to keep him.

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Even assuming his production does start to decline a bit he will have much less defensive pressure on him here next to JJ.

It isn't like we would be giving up much. I defend Marvin a lot but i have no hope of him ever being an All-Star, or close for that matter.

Redd at 35 would still probably have more value than Bibby/Marvin.

I am with you 100% on Bibby/Marvin.

I just won't trade Josh Smith for Redd.

no I wouldnt trade JSmooth for Redd...Redd and Johnson wouldnt play good together i dont think..it would be kinda like Iverson and MElo which didnt work. JJ and JSmooth are a much better combination. I wouldnt even do Bibby and Marvin for Redd and I definitely wouldnt do JJ for AK!!! What I would do is trade JSMooth for Melo though

Bibby

J. Johnson

Melo

Horford

Anderson

Quote:

Iverson and MElo which didnt work

That comparison doesn't make sense at all. It is hard for anyone to play with Iverson because he is a 6' shooting guard. He has pg size without pg skills. Fitting a team around him has always been tough.

Honestly, I've always thought of Redd as a bit of a ballhog. JJ already plays like a ballhog-even though I think thats more an issue of coaching than it is JJ consiously hoarding it to himself. Acquiring him also pushes JJ out of position, if you ask me. He's more suited to being a SG than a SF.

And, I'm gonna be honest, the reason that we get so much perimeter pressure on JJ is because of the way we play the game. We generally have JJ handling the ball and then either coming off a screen for a shot or posting up his man. We very seldom work the ball into the post through Horford and Smith to help get JJ open looks. And trust me, if we did that more often, JJ WOULD get open looks.

Instead it's JJ going inside and Josh Smith standing on the perimeter. It's completely backwards. JJ drives into pressure where it's easy for someone to come over and pressure our best scorer, and the man he kicks the ball out to is an enthusiastic jumpshooter who makes about 30% of his jumpshots from outside of 12 feet.

We don't need another big time scorer to take pressure off of JJ, we really need to put Josh Smith into a position where he can control the offense out of the post. We mire have more turnovers, but when Josh Smith has the ball in his hands on the perimeter, his jumpshot is as bad as a turnover anyway. Al Horford has shown a good job with his floor recognition and makes crisps passes out of the post, so we can utilize him as well. We presently have the talent to take pressure off of JJ. Our starting five, counting Bibby, is above average. We just need to develop the bench. We have no conceivable back-up behind Joe.

Honestly, let me just tack this on, I'm not trading Josh Smith for anyone in basketball right now. At least, not anyone we can get. He's on the verge of becoming something really great, and he could be dominant NOW if we put him in the position where he could consistently do what he's best at.

Quote:

Unfortunately, I don't think Smith will ever even be much better than he was this year, let alone great, if Woody is allowed to continue coaching him.

That's one big issue. There's a few other issues, as well. But that's part of the reason I'm not trading him. If he goes somewhere with a halfway decent coach, he probably explodes. We'd end up being the franchise that traded 'Nique AND Smith.

Josh Smith is not a well coached player. I think that in part is because he's enigmatic and uncoachable, and in part because Woody is a completely moron. I can't say who's more to blame right now, but I'd like to put most of on Woody since there's so many other problems with his coaching.

I'll reiterate a point that keeps striking me when I listen to him in interviews, he strikes me as an intelligent young man. He's not a guy who went to the NBA because he was unsuited for college-I think he could have earned a degree if that was the direction he elected. But he doesn't play intelligently. I was looking at the breakdown on 82games.com, and 48% of his shot attempts are jumpshots. But he only makes about 29% of his 2 point jumpshots, and worse from 3. That's upsetting because he's so good at getting inside and either scoring or getting to the line. He never gets fouled jumpshooting because he's bad enough people will let him take the open shots.

No way I would trade J. Smith for Redd.... and I wouldn't do the Bibby/Marvin deal either (even though I'd like to trade both of them if the right deal comes along)...

You guys should take a look at Redd's salary... $14.5M for three more years. For a guy who is a great scorer and nothing else joining a team that has needs at two other positions. He duplicates JJ's skills and has a higher salary... we'd have to trade JJ for this to make sense. The only hole Redd fits is our need for a shooter, and this is far too great a price to pay for that considering we'd be hamstrung financially at solving our other needs.

We may need Bibby's expiring as much as anyone else if we realistically want to keep J. Smith and one of the SFs (Chill or Marvin) while maintaining the flexibility to solve other issues and address our paper-thin bench...

Quote:

No way I would trade J. Smith for Redd.... and I wouldn't do the Bibby/Marvin deal either (even though I'd like to trade both of them if the right deal comes along)...

You guys should take a look at Redd's salary... $14.5M for three more years. For a guy who is a great scorer and nothing else joining a team that has needs at two other positions. He duplicates JJ's skills and has a higher salary... we'd have to trade JJ for this to make sense. The only hole Redd fits is our need for a shooter, and this is far too great a price to pay for that considering we'd be hamstrung financially at solving our other needs.

We may need Bibby's expiring as much as anyone else if we realistically want to keep J. Smith and one of the SFs (Chill or Marvin) while maintaining the flexibility to solve other issues and address our paper-thin bench...

Redd can score but he also is a veteran. I would try and trade Bibby and ZaZa for him but don't think they would do it. I wouldn't trade Smoove for Redd. Acie could start if he had JJ & Redd to dish to once he penatrates. I believe a new coach has to be brought in to have this team to gel and develop properly. I would want woody back if I were JJ to if he let me shoot so much.

As for the bench i'm counting on ASG hiring the right GM for that. Scouting is a big part of having a good bench. Scouting is what finds you guys like Milsap, Maxiell and Ginobli. Good young draft picks mixed with saavy veterans is what makes up a good bench. Just look at Detroit with players from Lindsey Hunter to Rodney Stuckey. Boston has Sam Cassell and as young as Big Baby. Unless ZaZa can play like he did his first season in Atlanta I don't think he will be back. Toughness and leadership must be added to the bench and team overall.

No, no, and hell no. Redd contract is too damn big, Melo could be ablivable and is 100 times better then Redd.