• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Kirk Hinrich will be on the market!

Brotha2ThaNite

Again this rumor was never substantiated, and we don't know if the #11 was ever included with Chill. I personally would have done both deals, and I remember hoping on draft day, like many of us were, that we were selecting at #11 for another team and would acquire an established PG afterwards....

I like Chill (he deserves to start and get the lion's share of mins at SF), but Jose is not only a very good, pass first PG, but his style of play and ability to shoot would be great with our athletes. Also, it's so hard to find a decent PG, which Hawks fans know all to well. I suspect that the Raptors will be one of the teams we'll have to match to retain Chill.... hopefully the new GM will do it...

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

I suspect that the Raptors will be one of the teams we'll have to match to retain Chill.... hopefully the new GM will do it...

We have $51 million in salaries committed for next season before resigning the Joshs. We also need more size and shooting. So how can we resign both Josh's and still have money left to fill the holes in the roster?

Quote:

We have $51 million in salaries committed for next season before resigning the Joshs. We also need more size and shooting. So how can we resign both Josh's and still have money left to fill the holes in the roster?

Even if we resign one Josh we'll be above the salary cap (~$57M), so we're looking at the MLE, vet min, and David Andersen either way (unless we trade a Josh, of course).

I don't pretend to know all of the intricacies of the NBA salary cap, but there were only 2 teams below the cap last year (we were next at a ~$1M above it) and something like 13 teams were above the luxury tax threshold... Of course we hold Bird Rights so we could go over the cap if we wanted, and still have our MLE to work with...

With Bibby's $15M+ deal coming off the books after next season, and Marvin's status up in the air, as well as Zaza expiring, I think it's feasible that we take on the extra salary for one season. Even if we match Smoove's offer and renounce/S&T Chill, we'll be above the cap... so in either situation we won't be able to add pieces other than using the MLE...

Quote:

Quote:

Even if we resign one Josh we'll be above the salary cap (~$57M), so we're looking at the MLE, vet min, and David Andersen either way (unless we trade a Josh, of course).

I don't pretend to know all of the intricacies of the NBA salary cap, but there were only 2 teams below the cap last year (we were next at a ~$1M above it) and something like 13 teams were above the luxury tax threshold... Of course we hold Bird Rights so we could go over the cap if we wanted, and still have our MLE to work with...

With Bibby's $15M+ deal coming off the books after next season, and Marvin's status up in the air, as well as Zaza expiring, I think it's feasible that we take on the extra salary for one season. Even if we match Smoove's offer and renounce/S&T Chill, we'll be above the cap... so in either situation we won't be able to add pieces other than using the MLE...

I didn't think you would have an answer.

The ASG isn't going to pay the luxury tax. Period. So just resigning the Joshs and adding Anderson would put the Hawks around $70 million. That is a road towards mediocrity.

Renoucing Chills rights would allow the Hawks to add guys to the roster that would actually fit the team. Like a 1/2 who can shoot 3s (Roger Mason).

Childress simply doesnt' fit this team.

The point is that renouncing Chill's rights and re-signing J. Smith (even without adding Andersen) would put us above the cap as it is... we would only have the MLE to work with, just as we do now. And we've never used the MLE, and I'm not even sure who would be a candidate.

If you consider that the MLE is ~$6M and Smoove will want $10M+ (escalating) that puts us at $67M + Andersen's contract, so adding an MLE & DA we'd be above the luxury tax (~$70M) even without Chill. I would love to add some shooters and depth in the backcourt, as well as a backup legit center, but I'm not sure how it's possible given our cap situation. Maybe there's another solution I haven't thought of.... if so lemme know....

Also, does anyone know how Andersen's contract will work under the cap? I think the rookie exception applies only to your first round picks, so with DA being a second rounder from years ago I'm not sure if we can sign him while we're over the cap. I believe we'd actually have to use our MLE on DA, so that leaves us with no options this summer unless we start moving players....

Quote:

The point is that renouncing Chill's rights and re-signing J. Smith (even without adding Andersen) would put us above the cap as it is... we would only have the MLE to work with, just as we do now. And we've never used the MLE, and I'm not even sure who would be a candidate.

If you consider that the MLE is ~$6M and Smoove will want $10M+ (escalating) that puts us at $67M + Andersen's contract, so adding an MLE & DA we'd be above the luxury tax (~$70M) even without Chill. I would love to add some shooters and depth in the backcourt, as well as a backup legit center, but I'm not sure how it's possible given our cap situation. Maybe there's another solution I haven't thought of.... if so lemme know....

Also, does anyone know how Andersen's contract will work under the cap? I think the rookie exception applies only to your first round picks, so with DA being a second rounder from years ago I'm not sure if we can sign him while we're over the cap. I believe we'd actually have to use our MLE on DA, so that leaves us with no options this summer unless we start moving players....

Starting at $51 million we resign Smith for lets say a starting salary of say $10-12 million, putting us at $61-63 million. Andersen lets say $4 million so that is $65-67 million. The luxury tax is estimated to be in the low 70s so signing Childress already puts us over it without signing any other players.

Remember that the MLE and the LLE are available for teams over the cap. I am not sure how much is available with the LLE but i believe it is around $3 million. We could sign someone like Roger Mason to back up the 1 and 2 spots as well as hitting 3s. Then we could fill out the roster with cheap guys (like MBenga) to fill specific roles where we need help.

I really hope Detroit kicks the Celtics ass. Staying up to watch all these late playoff games is wearing me out.

Quote:

Starting at $51 million we resign Smith for lets say a starting salary of say $10-12 million, putting us at $61-63 million. Andersen lets say $4 million so that is $65-67 million. The luxury tax is estimated to be in the low 70s so signing Childress already puts us over it without signing any other players.

Remember that the MLE and the LLE are available for teams over the cap. I am not sure how much is available with the LLE but i believe it is around $3 million. We could sign someone like Roger Mason to back up the 1 and 2 spots as well as hitting 3s. Then we could fill out the roster with cheap guys (like MBenga) to fill specific roles where we need help.

I really hope Detroit kicks the Celtics ass. Staying up to watch all these late playoff games is wearing me out.

The LLE is $1.9M and we'd have to use our MLE on David Andersen since he's not eligible for the first-round rookie exception. We'd be over the cap (~$57M) with Smoove alone, meaning our options are limited to Smoove, Chill, and and MLE signing (DA). Other than that you can offer a $1.9M contract to someone or make some trades....

Also I believe luxury tax is estimated around $70M and DA is making more than $4M tax-free in Europe and may ask for the full MLE (although I'm hoping he doesn't)...

Quote:

Quote:

The LLE is $1.9M and we'd have to use our MLE on David Andersen since he's not eligible for the first-round rookie exception. We'd be over the cap (~$57M) with Smoove alone, meaning our options are limited to Smoove, Chill, and and MLE signing (DA). Other than that you can offer a $1.9M contract to someone or make some trades....

Also I believe luxury tax is estimated around $70M and DA is making more than $4M tax-free in Europe and may ask for the full MLE (although I'm hoping he doesn't)...

Clearly resigning Childress isn't a realistic option. Resigning Smith and signing DA would put us at least at $66 million most likely.

I think you're probably right in that the ASG doesn't want to cross the luxury tax. Even signing DA & Smoove puts us just a few million $$ away, meaning any LLE/minimum guy would put us very close or over, and any mid-season trade (i.e. moving Bibby if Acie develops or trading Marvin for a vet if he's not in our plans) would also put us over if we try adding a bit of salary. This means that even without Chill we are very close....

If we were to stop at, say, $66M that would rank us #20 in the league last year in salary, behind teams like the T-wolves, Nets, and Pacers. It's just not realistic to think we can compete with a salary that's below the luxury tax, unless you have guys like CP3 and Deron on rookie contracts (or you're R.C. Buford).

If we can do Smoove at $10M, Chill at $6M, and DA at $5M that would put as at ~$72M. Even adding another guy with the LLE our luxury tax payout wouldn't be very little for the 08-09 season. With Bibby, Zaza, and maybe Marvin off the books we'd be better of in 09. I'd just hate to see Chill go because I think he could be a quality SF under the right coach, and we won't be able to add anyone else this offseason to replace him on our already-suffering bench...

I don't think that can help us now, I could be wrong but I think I remember something about the player having to go a year without playing after his retirement or something like that and from all appearances Claxton is going to give it another shot.

I read an article that said the best way for us to improve our squad this year is to sign Childress, then the FAs that we want first and then sign Smith last. It would put us over the luxury tax but if it fills our roster out this year the ASG might just have to suck it up since we have been under the cap all these years and once Bibby and Claxton fall off next year we will be back under.

Quote:

I don't think that can help us now, I could be wrong but I think I remember something about the player having to go a year without playing after his retirement or something like that and from all appearances Claxton is going to give it another shot.

I read an article that said the best way for us to improve our squad this year is to sign Childress, then the FAs that we want first and then sign Smith last. It would put us over the luxury tax but if it fills our roster out this year the ASG might just have to suck it up since we have been under the cap all these years and once Bibby and Claxton fall off next year we will be back under.

That's a smart idea, but I don't know if ASG is smart enough to think of such a plot.

Quote:

The thing is we can't sign the FAs because Chill & Smith both have cap holds (~$11M for Chill & ~$7M for Smith based on draft position) that result in us being technically over the cap (we're at about ~$71M) as we speak... we can only sign MLE & LLE players unless we renounce both of those guys.

And if we do renounce one we can't re-sign them because we lose Bird Rights, and signing them would push us over the cap... so if we locked up Chill & went after FAs like you said we would be unable to sign J. Smith. The only way we can get FAs (other than the MLE/LLE) is to renounce both guys and not re-sign them...

IMO best case is for ASG to splurge for a year and re-up Chill & Smoove, then use the MLE on Andersen and sign an LLE for depth. Hopefully Acie will develop and perhaps we can use Bibby's contract and/or Marvin & Zaza to add pieces during the season. We could also acquire a first round pick and would be allowed to sign him even though we're over the cap...

That's why the best thing to do is re-sign Childress as quickly as possible since he certainly won't make 11 million annually. Smith will obviously make more than 6 million so that should be the last contract we sign, if possible.

Quote:

We wouldn't be paying it on a 37 win team unless we only win 37 games next year. How many games do you think we would have to win in order to justify paying the luxury tax?

We aren't even remotely title contenders.

The ASG own only 70% of the team but pay 100% of the expenses in addition to their ongoing legal bills. Plus they face the prospect of an expensive buyout of Belkin should they win in court.

I can't imagine them paying the luxury tax on this team next season.

Of course we aren't a title contender and I know that's what BK said would be his prerequisite in order to ask the ASG to pay the luxury tax, but the reality is that almost half of the league paid the tax this year and in order to keep this core together we will have to pay the luxury tax for one year unless we move a big contract to a team under the cap to get us some relief.