sturt

• Premium Member

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/basketball/157984_sonx24.html

Quote:

Saturday, January 24, 2004

Behind the scenes, Sund executes Sonics' long-term vision

By DANNY O'NEIL

SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER REPORTER

An hour before the trading deadline last February, the blinds to Rick Sund's office were open.

At least they were for a minute.

Sund stood over his desk with a phone at his ear and reading glasses at the end of his nose. Then he turned, saw the open window and pulled the blinds shut, closing off the view into his office. Sund was out of sight, again.

He wasn't the only man in the middle of the deadline deal for Ray Allen. He was the one you knew the least about.

President Wally Walker has final say on basketball decisions, and principal owner Howard Schultz has set consensus as a priority in the franchise's decisions. While they often sit courtside, Sund is usually watching from a suite.

Yet Sund's hiring in June 2001 was a turning point for the franchise. It came after the decision was made to get younger and grow for the future. Two and a half years later, only two players remain: Brent Barry and Rashard Lewis.

Sund is just one voice in the Sonics' decision-making chorus, but his vision will help determine what Seattle does in the four weeks between now and the trading deadline.

"You've got to follow your plan and your instincts," Sund said. "And sometimes you can get carried away with that, where you get nervous about it."

Sund was chosen for the job after 20 years as an NBA executive, first with Dallas, where he helped start the franchise from scratch, and later in Detroit.

"In both cases, when he left there, he left the foundation in very good shape," Schultz said. "This is a guy who really understands the mechanisms to build a team".................

Following that article on the Ray Allen trade they won the Pacific Division with a 52 -30 record in the 2004-2005 season after he moved 10 of the 12 players on the roster he inherited. (The only players he kept were definate keepers in Brent Barry and Rashard Lewis. Barry just went for 23 last night vs. the Lakers at the age of 36.)

The article said that both the owner and team President had final say over all transactions. That makes me feel much better on Weiss replacing McMillian as HC. Now we can reasonablly conclude Weiss was the replacement not b/c he was Sund's first choice but he was the cheaper choice of ownership.

Rick Sund is not as bad as some make him out to be. If you have an owner that does not allow you to spend in free agency while your most glaring hole on in the roster is at center. Then how do you fill that hole other then through the draft ? There starting center was Jerome James and then he left for an over paid contract with the Knicks. They were left with nothing at center and no means to obtain one outside of the draft. Drafting centers seemed like the right thing to do.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Following that article on the Ray Allen trade they won the Pacific Division with a 52 -30 record in the 2004-2005 season after he moved 10 of the 12 players on the roster he inherited. (The only players he kept were definate keepers in Brent Barry and Rashard Lewis. Barry just went for 23 last night vs. the Lakers at the age of 36.)

The article said that both the owner and team President had final say over all transactions. That makes me feel much better on Weiss replacing McMillian as HC. Now we can reasonablly conclude Weiss was the replacement not b/c he was Sund's first choice but he was the cheaper choice of ownership.

Rick Sund is not as bad as some make him out to be. If you have an owner that does not allow you to spend in free agency while your most glaring hole on in the roster is at center. Then how do you fill that hole other then through the draft ? There starting center was Jerome James and then he left for an over paid contract with the Knicks. They were left with nothing at center and no means to obtain one outside of the draft. Drafting centers seemed like the right thing to do.

Which, may also hint that Sund warms the hearts of ASGers who want to keep Woody... eh?

But where coaching selection is concerned, I don't think this tidbit has received much light of day yet... and may be the most ominious on Sund's resume...

Quote:

1994: Fired from his position as vice president of basketball operations with Mavericks.
The decision came after Quinn Buckner's selection as coach turned out to be a disaster.

I don't recall all of the coaching disasters of the the last 15 years... but this one, I do recall, and think may be at the VERY top of almost anyone's list. Arguably, because Buckner had become such a public figure as a studio commentator, and if I'm not mistaken, went into the job without ANY experience. That one was painful to watch.

Which, may also hint that Sund warms the hearts of ASGers who want to keep Woody... eh?

Most definately. He has worked with the only ownership group that is more disfunctional then the ASG. Seattle's owner wants to get out of that city ASAP. At least the ASG want to remain in Atlanta.

Both onwership groups definately have final say over all deals. We better get used to Woody. It looks like he will be here a while. At least they spent money on Bibby. Now they need to step up for Smith and Chillz.

Sund probably knows our roster rather well. We know he and BK were in conversations for some proposed Watson / Ridnour deals in the past.

1)

Quote:

# 1979: Selected by Norm Sonju as director of player personnel for a proposed expansion team in Dallas. At 28, became the youngest in league history to hold that position.

# 1986-87: Presided over Mavericks team that won a franchise-record 55 games before losing to Sonics in first round of playoffs. Mavericks matched or improved their record in each of the franchise's first eight seasons.

Hawks owners probably look at this and see that he can continue the upward trend we've had since nearly being an expansion-type franchise with our rebuilding 4 years ago.

2)

Quote:

President Wally Walker has final say on basketball decisions, and principal owner Howard Schultz has set consensus as a priority in the franchise's decisions.

If you're going to get anything done with this ownership group, you have to be skilled in consensus-building.

quote]

If you're going to get anything done with this ownership group, you have to be skilled in consensus-building.

He has to take a different approach for sure.

Rather then walking into the board room with the owners and saying I have 1 trade I want to talk to you about (sale you on). Which I bet BK did with his limited communication skills.

Instead: Its just this simple guys.

Say I have 3 possible trade proposals I am considering making.....which one do you like best ? (Knowing one of the deals is far superior to others). This makes those owners FEEL like they are the actual decision maker...... and they are usually more open or receptive when alternative choices are possible.

Its all about communication. Its not necesarily what is said but how you say it can warrant much different results. Any one in sales can vouge for that. He will not only ge the GM. He will have to sale his ideas to multiple owners. This bugged seemed to bug the heck out of BK. At least Sund is used to it and knows what to expect.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Which I bet BK did with his limited communication skills.

No offense, and I agree with the rest of the post... but just because BK chose to deal with the media as he did doesn't directly translate into anything viable about how BK communicated with the inner circle. Presumption is too common among fans, imo.

They didn't spend money on Bibby. All they did was replace Lue, AJ and Sheldens contract with Bibbys. Now if they were to give him or another very good vet an extension then they would be spending money(A.I,Baron Davis,Bibby,etc.). Also since Bibby's contract had only another year on it it really was a low risk deal for the Hawks. ASG needs to pay the Joshes and make another move this offseason before I give them an ounce of credit.

Quote:

They didn't spend money on Bibby. All they did was replace Lue, AJ and Sheldens contract with Bibbys. Now if they were to give him or another very good vet an extension then they would be spending money(A.I,Baron Davis,Bibby,etc.). Also since Bibby's contract had only another year on it it really was a low risk deal for the Hawks. ASG needs to pay the Joshes and make another move this offseason before I give them an ounce of credit.

Correction. Lue, AJ, and Lo's contracts were all expiring. That is around $9 million that would have come off the books in 08. Now Bibby contact goes up to $14.9 mill for 08-09.

While the deal may not have cost more money on this season's salary cap figures it commitss alot more money for the 08-09 term.

Quote:

Quote:

Correction. Lue, AJ, and Lo's contracts were all expiring. That is around $9 million that would have come off the books in 08. Now Bibby contact goes up to $14.9 mill for 08-09.

While the deal may not have cost more money on this season's salary cap figures it commitss alot more money for the 08-09 term.

Now Bibby is an expiring contract which means he will be off the books after next season. Its not like they took on 14.9mil over the next three years. They will have to do more than taking on one and a half year of a big contract veteran. Like I said, resign the joshes and bring in another veteran who can help this team then ASG can get some credit from me. Right now they have done nothing to make me feel they know what the H$ll they are doing.

Now Bibby is an expiring contract which means he will be off the books after next season. Its not like they took on 14.9mil over the next three years. They will have to do more than taking on one and a half year of a big contract veteran. Like I said, resign the joshes and bring in another veteran who can help this team then ASG can get some credit from me. Right now they have done nothing to make me feel they know what the H$ll they are doing.

True.

I agree that the Bibby committment loses its luster if he cost us the financial flexibility to resign both Joshes.

However, its not like the Bibby trade did nothing. That playoff run to end the 9 year playoff drought was sweet. I do realize this is not the same thing as committing to a long term plan unitl the Joshes are reisgned.

• Premium Member

Quote:

True.

I agree that the Bibby committment loses its luster if he cost us the financial flexibility to resign both Joshes.

However, its not like the Bibby trade did nothing. That playoff run to end the 9 year playoff drought was sweet. I do realize this is not the same thing as committing to a long term plan unitl the Joshes are reisgned.

Honestly,

Bibby will be traded before the deadline so he will cost the Hawks NOTHING.

More than likely, we will get an exemption and a player for Bibbs.

Don't be surprised to see a three way used and us coming out with Miller and a cap exemption from Memphis. Or us dealing with Clippers and taking like Maggette and Knight.