• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Sund reminds me of Babcock

tmac13

For the record I am on the wait and see approach to Rick Sund. He has had a little success and a little failure in his time as a GM. . He has drafted poor and traded well. He actually reminds me alot of Pete Babcock who is widely despised on this board. Babcock until his last 2 years as GM here had a much better track record than Sund has ever achieved. It will be interesting to see how he is regarded in a few years.

Like you, I am taking a wit and see approach on Sund. He doesn't "thrill" me, but I don't think he was a bad hire either. The two questions I would like to ask him are:

1) Would you ever draft project big men in 3 consecutive drafts again?

2) How can you have 6 NBA first round draft picks in 6 years and not draft a single African American player with one of those picks? laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif

Now before anyone goes all up in arms, I don't think Sund is even the slightest bit racist. I actually think it is funny that he didn't draft any African Americans in the first round during his tenure in Seattle. In the NBA, I don't see how that is even POSSIBLE. I wonder if he even realizes it. He drafted the following players in the first round in SEA:

'01 - Radmanovic

'03 - Collison/Ridnour

'04 - Swift

'05 - Petro

'06 - Sene

I think what it COULD reflect is that like his decision to draft project big men, he is trying to find the next great thing by looking "outside the box." After watching BK's love affair with drafting SFs, I'm ready for a GM who stays INSIDE the box.

Good luck Rick Sund and welcome to the ATL!

Babcock had a real bad last few years. He did howver have alot of good years as well. While he couldnt draft almost anything but BUSTS, he did make alot of great trades. He will be remembered for the 2 horrible trades he made in Nique and Smitty. The truth is if he doesnt pull the trigger on the Dominique trade he prolly would be remembered as a pretty good gm who just couldnt draft.