• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Addressing a BK administration weakness

sturt

• Premium Member

Quote:

Hawks.com: Speaking of Andersen, you drafted several international players during your tenure in Seattle. How important is it to have a firm knowledge of the international prospects out there?

RS: I think the success is doing your homework at all levels. It’s important to have good information on players who are in college, and on players that are global as well. It’s not just Europe anymore, either – South America produces some good talent as well. You had a rush of a ton of players in the late 90’s and early 2000s from Europe, but I don’t think you’ll see that as much anymore. What seems to be the trend now is to draft foreign players in the second round and then hold their rights while they develop overseas. We definitely have to make sure our staff is competent in gathering information on international players though.

Here's an area where several other teams have had some success, and it is pretty clear the Hawks have been very deficient in comparison. Seems that Sund brings some knowledge and experience to that element.

Here's an area where several other teams have had some success, and it is pretty clear the Hawks have been very deficient in comparison. Seems that Sund brings some knowledge and experience to that element. If consistantly blowing 1st round draft picks on foreign projects who turn into HUGE BUSTS is knowledge and experiance then yes, Sund brings that element. lol

Quote:

Here's an area where several other teams have had some success, and it is pretty clear the Hawks have been very deficient in comparison. Seems that Sund brings some knowledge and experience to that element.

If consistantly blowing 1st round draft picks on foreign projects who turn into HUGE BUSTS is knowledge and experiance then yes, Sund brings that element. lol

Haha

Frankly i think BK's major failing was the inability to judge talent in the US.

That's what I thought right away too. Foreign drafting was pretty low on his list of weaknesses. Getting diaw and anderson where we got them is probably above average.

Clearly failing to put a complete team together (no real PG or C), consistently failing to draft the best talent available and even horrible PR are all higher on his list of deficiencies.

I think BK was desperately looking for some wholesome, marketable players instead of picking the best player for our team. I mean, when you think about it all the highest selling jerseys are probably the jerseys of all the star wingmen (Kobe, Lebron, Carmelo, etc.). It's just..he sucked at that too, except for Josh Smith. hairpulling.gif

• Premium Member

Quote:

If consistantly blowing 1st round draft picks on foreign projects who turn into HUGE BUSTS is knowledge and experiance then yes, Sund brings that element. lol

I guess the point I failed to make is that, at least, there has been some overt attempt by Sund's administration to pursue it. And, fwiw, the man did draft a couple of recognizable foreigners... Radmonovic... and further back, Schrempf.

And, btw... not to make anyone look bad b/c it's an honest mistake, but Knight became Hawks GM in April 2003; Andersen was drafted in 2002.

If BK had a consistent international presence, it wasn't general knowledge.