It's looking like Theo for Odom?

Diesel

• Premium Member

Personally, I would like to see us get this trade thru....

Theo for Odom(SNT)/Wilcox

Resign JT/Glover

Then:

JT/Glover/Odom/SAR/Wilcox....

I think that would be much better than what we have NOW..

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/sfl-hea...la-sports-front

Among the latest to express interest in Odom is Atlanta, which has only about $2 million in cap space. The Hawks, however, could work out a sign-and-trade deal, possibly for center Theo Ratliff, whose $10.2 million salary is in line with what Odom is seeking.

The Heat is holding back its remaining salary-cap space, about $11.2 million, instead of pursuing lesser players to fill out its roster.

With Indiana center Brad Miller going to Sacramento in a sign-and-trade transaction, Odom and Hawks guard Jason Terry, also a restricted free agent, are the last remaining top-tier free agents on this summer's market. The Hawks have said they would match all offers for Terry, who has expressed a desire to remain in Atlanta

I definitely think we get a lot more talent in that deal but it would be hard for me to trade Theo. If Odom is healthy and not focused on his pot, he could be a dangerous player. Who's more of a C prospect between Wilcox and Ely? This would definitely be a move for the future, although we could still be competitive now. I would really push a deal with Portland like Nazr/CC for Dale Davis.

JT/Dickau/Armstrong

Glover/Hansen

Odom/Diaw

SAR/Wilcox

Davis/Hendu/Holden?

I could definitely live with that.

Well my lineup included Diaw and Wilcox as BU's which they should be until prove they can be starters. I wouldn't mind eventually bumping Glover to a 6th man role and starting.....

JT/Diaw/Odom/SAR/Davis which is a pretty tall, lengthy team with good ball handling and offensive ability.

• Premium Member

Having Odom would allow JT to play his SG game.

Diaw maybe good .... 3 years from now, but I think he will be a rookie this year. He has not played against this level of Competition. Some nights, he will be toasted for many points on defense.

The other comparison is Wilcox vs. Theo.

Actually, physically, there's not much difference. Theo is about 6'10 235, Wilcox about 6'10 227. However, I think Wilcox is STRONGER and a Better rebounder. I think Wilcox can play C also.

I picked Wilcox over Ely because Ely played well last year and Wilcox was a higher pick. For Sterling, I think he'd rather have the better cheaper player.... In fact, I think he would want out of Wilcox's contract.

Diesel,

You forgot to mention that losing Theo is not a terrible thing since we have upgraded the defense at every respective position (with the exception of Reef and Terry) with that deal.

So, I wouldn't worry as much about not having such a strong presence down low.

But do you think Odom is the answer? I admit I don't know TOO much about his game. I know what he CAN do... but I thought Big Dog could do more... is he someone who can dribble and create?

Play.

• Admin

He can do a little bit of everything. He's got good handles and he can score. [censored] he was running the show in L.A. for a few years there. Put it in his hands and let him go was their only hope. You can't expect success like that but he did well at it.

I would love to have him here. He would answer a lot of our problems. Personally, I think Theo is worthless without a few backcourt players to play D in front of him. Which we do not have right now. A decent C is all we need to be successful, IF IF IF we can fill the other holes (ball handling, defense).

Chillz,

I know that Odom can play. There is no question about that. But, I worry that he has been in Reef's predicament for far too long.

I originally wanted the Grizzlies to draft him. But, I forget, I think we drafted Francis against his wishes. Odom expressed interest in playing for Canada and Reef before the draft.

So, maybe there is something there.

I would love to see them together, but do you think that they can win together? Does Odom dribble penetrate or is he just a pure passer?

Play.

• Admin

Odom is a versatile player. He can do a little bit of everything. He's more a scorer than anything, period. But he can pass and dribble.

it's impossible to answer whether they can win together or not. It's impossible to answer that question for ANY group of players that you put together, until you see them play some games. But odom would help us get there.

"Odom expressed interest in playing for Canada and Reef before the draft. "

I remember reading that too.

I love this deal and Odom will be a great fit. Doesn't Wilcox play kind of like Theo when he was playing for Maryland two years ago? I'd love to see Odom and Wilcox in Hawks uniform but will the Clippers do a sign and trade?

• Admin

Why would you not trade a one-dimensional player for a multi-dimensional one?

Weak-side shot blocking is NOT a key need of ours. Sorry, but it's true. THat is what Theo brings. He's not a great man-up defender. He's not a great rebounder. He's a great weak-side shot blocker though. To maximize his abilities he needs good defenders, at least one, on the perimeter. We don't have that.

Odom is the man. Take away his injuries and he'd be getting max offers. People underestimate his ability because injuries have slowed him. He is super tall, can run the floor, and has a sweet stroke. I feel his shooting percentage and three point percentage will go up this year now that his wrist and ankles are healed. To anyone that wouldn't trade 6'9 ratliff for 6'10 odom is crazy.

I would do that trade in a heart beat. We would then have 3 starters on the floor who can handle the ball. Ideally though I think I would want a shooting guard who can shoot the ball though with Diaw coming off the bench. However, I think that is something we can address in the draft next season. Odom is way too talented to pass up and he is the type of player to make the players around him better. One problem Odom has though is that he has a tendency to launch some ridiculous shots when he has no business doing so. Hopefully, a new coach can get through to him if he did sign with us.

Odom has 2 strikes against him already and a 3rd violation will put him out of the league. So are we willing to trade one of our hottest commodities in Theo for Odom? I admit that I would love to have Odom, but I wouldnt trade Theo to get him. Thats just far too much of a risk for a player with a character problem like his. Also, I think that some of you guys are seriously undervaluing what Theo brings to this team. He is the best shotblocker in the business and someone that makes other teams think twice about coming into the lane on drives. He isnt a great 1 on 1 defender, but he isnt terrible either. If we could find a way to deal for Odom without trading Theo I think that you would see how good Theo really is because adding Odom and Diaw to our backcourt will dramatically change how many times players are able to drive right past our guys into the paint with Theo having to worry about that. Give him a little peace of mind that the perimeter guys will do their job defensively and he will be even more valuable.

Maybe we could trade them Nazr/CC/future first from Philly for Odom in a Snt? They could throw in Wilcox if they wanted to also and that would be fine by me.