• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Smoove to meet with Hawks tomorrow, Philly later?

DJ_Money

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Offer him a six-year, $70M deal with a player's option for the 5th year, and a team option for the 6th year.

Year 1: $9.24M

So Josh Smith earned just .24 million more after last season?!? Come on. The purpose of this coming interaction may not be to sign him (we are likely to match any offer) but it certainly isn't to insult him.

W

Yep. You are right. We have to anticipate Philly's first shot and send the message to Smoove that we will pay you more than they can offer you. I hear people saying we shouldn't outbid ourselves. I say that this is the only Smoove we have. He's a game changer on the defensive end. We know we have other needs, but to let Smoove slip by, we would be stupid.

I agree.

Smith has outperformed his rookie contract by a mile. If we "overpay" him by a million or two a year i say so what. I think we have to keep him because if he ever smartens up and reaches his potential he could be a scary player.

• Premium Member

Quote:

If you're willing to pay what Philly offers, why wouldn't you just match an offer? Why negotiate against yourself?

Becuase Philly can frontload an offer to Smoove.

If he signs it, it will destroy any chance we have at getting any FAs maybe even Chillz too.

We have ~19 Millon dollars before the Luxury tax cap. IF Philly frontloads an 11 million dollar deal to 19 Million, that's our summer.

However, if we sign Smoove at 11.5 or 11 Million, we still have 8 Million to spend. My suggestion is sign one free agent (2-3 Million) and then resign Smoove and Chillz.

Quote:

Quote:

If you're willing to pay what Philly offers, why wouldn't you just match an offer? Why negotiate against yourself?

Becuase Philly can frontload an offer to Smoove.

If he signs it, it will destroy any chance we have at getting any FAs maybe even Chillz too.

We have ~19 Millon dollars before the Luxury tax cap. IF Philly frontloads an 11 million dollar deal to 19 Million, that's our summer.

However, if we sign Smoove at 11.5 or 11 Million, we still have 8 Million to spend. My suggestion is sign one free agent (2-3 Million) and then resign Smoove and Chillz.

We have already been over this. A big signing bonus has no relevance as far as the luxury tax this year. the bonus would be spread out over each year of the contract for cap purposes.

• Premium Member

Quote:

We have already been over this. A big signing bonus has no relevance as far as the luxury tax this year. the bonus would be spread out over each year of the contract for cap purposes.

I'm thinking you're not getting it. The resign why teams Frontload contracts (Signing Bonus) is because it allows them to steal RFAs. It does count against the cap.

Quote:

Quote:

I'm thinking you're not getting it. The resign why teams Frontload contracts (Signing Bonus) is because it allows them to steal RFAs. It does count against the cap.

LOL hawksfanatic has explained this to you over and over. AHF even quoted Larry Coons website directly and you still don't get it.

WTF

Quote:

Note that in order to fit the first-year amount (salary plus bonus) within the $5 million exception, the first year salary had to be reduced to $3,840,000. The net effect is that the player gets more money in the first year (he receives his base pay of $3,840,000 plus his entire signing bonus of $5,800,000, for a total of $9,640,000), but receives less in the subsequent years.
However, the contract counts against the salary cap the same as if it did not contain a signing bonus.

THAT IS DIRECTLY FROM LARRY COONS SITE.

• Premium Member

Quote:

No, the signing bonus is prorated over the length of the deal for cap hit purposes.

The purpose of the signing bonus is that the A/S would have to pay a bunch of money upfront, and they have tight purse strings.

Quote:

Quote:

No, the signing bonus is prorated over the length of the deal for cap hit purposes.

The purpose of the signing bonus is that the A/S would have to pay a bunch of money upfront, and they have tight purse strings.

Right, no one knows how much money ASG has to spend and how much they can raise over a short amount of time. Especially with a decent wad being spent on legal fees.

Of course, the fact that no one knows doesn't mean they don't have the money. The Hawks haven't lost money lately, even if they haven't been the most profitable franchise. Its possible that ASG just says "[censored] it" and matches without thinking twice.

It just absolutely floors me that Diesel is still holding to his "front-load" argument. This must be the 3rd thread within a week or so where this has been hashed out.

And these threads have had multiple back-and-forths between posters (AHF, hawksfanatic, mrHonline) that obviously understand the cap better than Diesel, with links to reputable and specific submissions that completely and utterly prove his position as false. Yet he still reverts to his old position in a new thread, as if he has no memory of these very recent discussions.

WTF

jawdrop.gif

Quote:

It just absolutely floors me that Diesel is still holding to his "front-load" argument. This must be the 3rd thread within a week or so where this has been hashed out.

And these threads have had multiple back-and-forths between posters (AHF, hawksfanatic, mrHonline) that obviously understand the cap better than Diesel, with links to reputable and specific submissions that completely and utterly prove his position as false. Yet he still reverts to his old position in a new thread, as if he has no memory of these very recent discussions.

WTF

jawdrop.gif

This isn't the first time this has happened. My favorite is this double feature about the lottery. If you have some time and want some laughs...

Part 1

Part 2

That was pure gold. thanks for that. Aside from lending me some perspective on the source of these Diesel posts, it was also a thoroughly entertaining read. What an astounding display of arrogant defiance in the face of certain logic.

I wish I would've known about this board earlier.