• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

My Off-Season Suggestions

Dragitoff

I know it's hard to pull off deals with teams within your division, but here's my thoughts for what the Hawks should do this offseason..........

Re-Sign Josh Smith

Sign Kwame Brown

Trade Mike Bibby & Marvin Williams for Gerald Wallace, Matt Carroll, and Raymond Felton

Sign & Trade Josh Childress and ZaZa Pachulia for Chris Wilcox and Damien Wilkins

New Roster.........

Felton

Johnson

Wallace

Smith

Horford

Bench: Wilcox, Carroll, Law, Wilkins, Brown, Claxton, Jones

This gives us a solid 10 man rotation as well as improves us defensively. Our bench has shooters to help us with bench scoring.

Don't know if either of the trading partners would be interested in either of those deals, but these were some of my thoughts. Charlotte saves money this year and with Bibby coming off the books (Marvin also), they've got alot of $ freed up to either re-sign players or pursue others in FA.

Seattle gets ZaZa's expiring deal and a young athletic wing in Childress to grow with both Durant and Green.

I wouldn't mind those trades at all. I suspect that we have no chance of getting Wallace since he's just up the road from Atlanta.

The Seattle trade sounds like something that could happen; though, I suspect Seattle might have to include another player to even out the salaries. It all depends on Childress' offer.

Quote:

I know it's hard to pull off deals with teams within your division, but here's my thoughts for what the Hawks should do this offseason..........

Re-Sign Josh Smith

Sign Kwame Brown

Trade Mike Bibby & Marvin Williams for Gerald Wallace, Matt Carroll, and Raymond Felton

Sign & Trade Josh Childress and ZaZa Pachulia for Chris Wilcox and Damien Wilkins

New Roster.........

Felton

Johnson

Wallace

Smith

Horford

This gives us a solid 10 man rotation as well as improves us defensively. Our bench has shooters to help us with bench scoring.

Don't know if either of the trading partners would be interested in either of those deals, but these were some of my thoughts. Charlotte saves money this year and with Bibby coming off the books (Marvin also), they've got alot of $ freed up to either re-sign players or pursue others in FA.

Seattle gets ZaZa's expiring deal and a young athletic wing in Childress to grow with both Durant and Green.

We'd need a new goal every half because all the bricks our starting 5 would throw up.

Quote:

Quote:

Re-Sign Josh Smith

Sign Kwame Brown

New Roster.........

Felton

Johnson

Wallace

Smith

Horford

We'd need a new goal every half because all the bricks our starting 5 would throw up.

Whatever!

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Re-Sign Josh Smith

Sign Kwame Brown

New Roster.........

Felton

Johnson

Wallace

Smith

Horford

Whatever!

Seriously. Raymond Felton is about as bad of a shooter as Josh Smith.

Here are the comparisons of FG% with our roster "as is" vs. the proposed roster I had

Mike Bibby 41.1% FG 37.4%-3pt.

Marvin Williams 46.2% 10%-3pt.

Josh Chilldress 57.1% 36.7%-3pt.

ZaZa Pachulia 43.7%

Raymond Felton 41.4% FG 28%-3pt.

Gerald Wallace 45% FG 32.1%-3pt.

Matt Carroll 42.8% FG 43.6%-3pt.

Chris Wilcox 52.4% FG

Damien Wilkins 40.3% FG 32.3%-3pt.

Kwame Brown 50.7% FG

As far as starters go, you'd be gaining another threat to shoot from the outside in Wallace while only losing some of the accuracy from outside the arc from Bibby to Felton. I agree that would be a dramatic dropoff, but Felton's up-tempo style of running a team would be good for us. You also have to look at addition by subtraction. Would our defense not be better by replacing Bibby and Williams with Wallace and Felton? Would our big man rotation not be more solid with Smith, Horford, Brown and Wilcox over Smith, Horford, and Pachulia?

Quote:

Here are the comparisons of FG% with our roster "as is" vs. the proposed roster I had

Mike Bibby 41.1% FG 37.4%-3pt.

Marvin Williams 46.2% 10%-3pt.

Josh Chilldress 57.1% 36.7%-3pt.

ZaZa Pachulia 43.7%

Raymond Felton 41.4% FG 28%-3pt.

Gerald Wallace 45% FG
32.1%-3pt.

Matt Carroll 42.8% FG 43.6%-3pt.

Chris Wilcox 52.4% FG

Damien Wilkins 40.3% FG 32.3%-3pt.

Kwame Brown 50.7% FG

As far as starters go, you'd be gaining another threat to shoot from the outside
in Wallace while only losing some of the accuracy from outside the arc from Bibby to Felton. I agree that would be a dramatic dropoff, but Felton's up-tempo style of running a team would be good for us. You also have to look at addition by subtraction. Would our defense not be better by replacing Bibby and Williams with Wallace and Felton? Would our big man rotation not be more solid with Smith, Horford, Brown and Wilcox over Smith, Horford, and Pachulia?

32% doesn't make you a threat. Our defense would be much better, no doubt. However, what makes offenses like Phoenix's and Golden State's so successful is that they got good PGs and a lot of shooters. Our offense would be worse, and when we force the transition we usually don't get a good shot or turn the ball over. We will miss that midrange shooter in the starting lineup that we had in Marvin Williams, when Josh Smith, Gerald Wallace, and Felton start chucking up 3s because everyone will play off them and double JJ. That was one of the big reasons we got Mike Bibby, not because he is some kind of distributor. We needed his skills as a good shooter, so people wouldn't double Joe as much.

While I agree with most of your post, the point you are failing to realize is the key to many fast breaks is TO's.

Secondly, outside of Johnson, who do we currently have that will shoot a 3 consistently? Bibby and .....err, that's really it since Salim is gone and never saw the floor anyways. We now have guys who will put up a 3pt. shot in Carroll, Wallace, Felton, and Wilkins. While their % isn't the greatest, they are a threat to shoot. Also remember that in 06'-07' when given significant playing time next to Ray Allen, Damien Wilkins shot 41% from 3pt. range. Felton's first two seasons, he shot better than the 28% he shot last year. Shooting % generally gets better when you get wide open looks. I'd day say playing alongside JJ will get Felton, Wallace, Wilkins, and Carroll alot of open looks. You can't tell me a player can't get better by playing in a system. Prime example is Al Harrington. He never did anything beyond the arc, but got to Golden State and played along with other great shooters and all of a sudden he's a deep threat that shoots with solid accuracy. Childress only pulled the trigger 60 times this past season from beyond the arc. Williams 10 times. Bibby and JJ took most of the 3's this team shot. I don't really want to mess with that duo, but I think our team at least maintains (if not improves on 3pt. shooting), offense, and gets better in transition, defense and a much deeper bench through these moves.

Quote:

While I agree with most of your post, the point you are failing to realize is the key to many fast breaks is TO's.

Secondly, outside of Johnson, who do we currently have that will shoot a 3 consistently? Bibby and .....err, that's really it since Salim is gone and never saw the floor anyways. We now have guys who will put up a 3pt. shot in Carroll, Wallace, Felton, and Wilkins. While their % isn't the greatest, they are a threat to shoot. Also remember that in 06'-07' when given significant playing time next to Ray Allen, Damien Wilkins shot 41% from 3pt. range. Felton's first two seasons, he shot better than the 28% he shot last year. Shooting % generally gets better when you get wide open looks. I'd day say playing alongside JJ will get Felton, Wallace, Wilkins, and Carroll alot of open looks. You can't tell me a player can't get better by playing in a system. Prime example is Al Harrington.
He never did anything beyond the arc, but got to Golden State and played along with other great shooters and all of a sudden he's a deep threat that shoots with solid accuracy.
Childress only pulled the trigger 60 times this past season from beyond the arc. Williams 10 times. Bibby and JJ took most of the 3's this team shot. I don't really want to mess with that duo, but I think our team at least maintains (if not improves on 3pt. shooting), offense, and gets better in transition, defense and a much deeper bench through these moves.

I just don't see it working on offense, but I do think our defense would be much better.

What if we keep Bibby and let him go at the end of the year ? Won't we have 14 mil to get a free agent ?

• Premium Member

Quote:

32% doesn't make you a threat.

32% is much better than 10%... with only 10 shots from outside.

Think about that EazyRoc. How often do you think other teams worried about Marvin shooting a three? If they see Marvin on the 3 pt line, what do you think they thought?

A. "Damn, I need to get over there... he's about to kill us with the three."

B. "Maybe I need to stop doubling Joe Johnson because Marvin's open on the three."

C. "Marvin's on the three point line... HA HA... Yeah Right!!"

D. " Marvin's open for three... I wish he would shoot, we could use a rebound here!"

Quote:

Quote:

Think about that EazyRoc. How often do you think other teams worried about Marvin shooting a three? If they see Marvin on the 3 pt line, what do you think they thought?

B. "Maybe I need to stop doubling Joe Johnson because Marvin's open on the three."

D. " Marvin's open for three... I wish he would shoot, we could use a rebound here!"

However, Marvin can shoot from 18-20 foot consistently. I would be willing to bet that Marvin shoots a better 3pt % than Gerald Wallace next year, barring any major injuries from either player. No proof to really back that up, but I think Marvin has good form and with enough practice will be a good 3pt shooter.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

However, Marvin can shoot from 18-20 foot consistently. I would be willing to bet that Marvin shoots a better 3pt % than Gerald Wallace next year, barring any major injuries from either player. No proof to really back that up, but I think Marvin has good form and with enough practice will be a good 3pt shooter.

I don't disagree that Marvin COULD be a good 3pt. shooter, but why doesn't he ever try one? I'd dare say out of the 10 he did shoot this year, a few of them were shots thrown up at the buzzer so he doesn't make an effort to shoot them. Heck, even Chillz attempted 60 this season. I compare Marvin to Braves' pitcher Chuck James. Has all the tools to be successful, but refuses to throw his slider. He only throws fastball and changeup. His fastball is only around 90MPH, but his change is so good it keeps people off his fastball. When players start sitting on the changeup he gets rocked. The same being said for Marvin, he could really take his game to the next level if he developed that 3pt. shot. It would certainly make defenders stay honest with him much like Diesel was talking about.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Well, Damn. Smoove COULD be the best PF in basketball if he developed his low post play and defense. Chillz COULD be the best 6th man in basketball if he changed the way he shoots. Acie COULD have been Rookie of the year if he didn't turn the ball over and shot better from outside.

You're willing to bet that Marvin shoots a better 3pt % than Wallace next year. Let me introduce you to a simple thing called THE FACTS. The fact is...

Over his career, he is 25 for 108 from 3.. (23%)...

Do you know how pathetic that is? 3 years of playing basketball and Marvin has only attempted 108 3 pters.

He's not going to magically get the confidence to be a three point shooter. He was a PF in college and he's lucky to be a midrange shooter now. He doesn't have it. Yet, Squawkers will complain day in and day out if a Sf who doesn't shoot 40% from three is proposed for this team.

" That will be a terrible shooting team with ____________________"

Well guess What. 23% Marvin is really helping our shooting right now huh?

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Well, Damn. Smoove COULD be the best PF in basketball if he developed his low post play and defense. Chillz COULD be the best 6th man in basketball if he changed the way he shoots. Acie COULD have been Rookie of the year if he didn't turn the ball over and shot better from outside.

You're willing to bet that Marvin shoots a better 3pt % than Wallace next year. Let me introduce you to a simple thing called THE FACTS. The fact is...

Over his career, he is 25 for 108 from 3.. (23%)...

Do you know how pathetic that is? 3 years of playing basketball and Marvin has only attempted 108 3 pters.

He's not going to magically get the confidence to be a three point shooter. He was a PF in college and he's lucky to be a midrange shooter now. He doesn't have it. Yet, Squawkers will complain day in and day out if a Sf who doesn't shoot 40% from three is proposed for this team.

" That will be a terrible shooting team with ____________________"

Well guess What. 23% Marvin is really helping our shooting right now huh?

The 3pt shot isn't the only shot on the court. Marvin really does help our shooting right now without a 3pt shot. The thing with Gerald Wallace is he shoots a bad % on 3s and midrange. I'd rather a guy be a bad 3pt % and take 10, than be a bad one and take several. Our offense would be significantly worse without Marvin's midrange jumpshot, and that's a fact. That's a hole Gerald Wallace can't fill, and because he's such a bad 3pt shooter, I'd rather him not take 3s if he was on our team too. Who cares if he's 23% out of 108 3pts in his career ? Gerald Wallace is still the worse shooter and that's a fact. He won't get better, either. Atleast Marvin can still develop the range on his consistent jumpshot.

Gerald Wallace shot a much better 3pt% than Marvin, and still was the worse shooter.

You know he won't get better? Who exactly has Gerald Wallace shared the floor with that demanded a double team and left him with open looks? I will agree with you that Felton, for the most part is a chucker, but I also reiterate my point about people becoming better shooters when teamed with guys who force the defense to be stretched and double team. That's the only reason Marvin had so many open looks. I think Marvin's a solid player, but his lack to extend the defense a little makes him more of a 1 dimensional offensive player. For all his shortcomings when shooting jumpers, Josh Smith does at least keep the defense honest from time to time because he will shoot the long shot (much to the chagrin of Hawks fans everywhere). This makes him doubly dangerous when he brings it down and cuts to the basket. In a perfect world, I'd gladly take Josh shooting 33% from the 3pt. line. I guarantee you defenses wouldn't leave him wide open like they will Marvin if he played behind the line.

• Premium Member

Quote:

The 3pt shot isn't the only shot on the court. Marvin really does help our shooting right
now
without a 3pt shot. The thing with Gerald Wallace is he shoots a bad % on 3s and midrange. I'd rather a guy be a bad 3pt % and take 10, than be a bad one and take several. Our offense would be significantly worse without Marvin's midrange jumpshot, and that's a fact. That's a hole Gerald Wallace can't fill, and because he's such a bad 3pt shooter, I'd rather him not take 3s if he was on our team too. Who cares if he's 23% out of 108 3pts in his career ? Gerald Wallace is
still
the worse shooter and that's a fact. He won't get better, either. Atleast Marvin can still develop the range on his consistent jumpshot.

Gerald Wallace shot a much better 3pt% than Marvin, and
still
was the worse shooter.

Down the stretch of last season. The last 42 games...

Marvin shot 43.9 % from the field. While attempting 4 3 pters.

In that same time, GWallace shot 43% from the field... While attempting 77 3 pters.

Your claim is that Marvin is a great FG% shooter... Well, down the stretch when we really needed wins, Marvin was not much better than Wallace. IN fact, if Wallace would not have shot those 77 3 pters, I'm sure that he would have had a better FG% than Marvin.

Bottom line is that Marvin's shooting is nothing special. He doesn't provide a threat for the opposition. The reason why JJ is double teamed most of the time is because nobody fears Marvin from downtown. When Marvin goes downtown, stores leave the register open and the cashiers walk out on lunch break with the door open. Nobody cares if Marvin is downtown. He's not a threat. That has an immediate impact on our team.

Quote:

The reason why JJ is double teamed most of the time is because nobody fears
Smith
from downtown. When
Smith
goes downtown, stores leave the register open and the cashiers walk out on lunch break with the door open. Nobody cares if
Smith
is downtown. He's not a threat. That has an immediate impact on our team.

corrected

Quote:

In a perfect world, I'd gladly take Josh shooting 33% from the 3pt. line.

Too bad he only shoots 25% on WIDE OPEN 3s. Not to mention that standing around the 3 pt line takes him off the offensive glass.

Quote:

I think Marvin's a solid player, but his lack to extend the defense a little makes him more of a 1 dimensional offensive player.

Marvin drives and gets to the line a lot for a 1 dimensional player.

Quote:

Quote:

In a perfect world, I'd gladly take Josh shooting 33% from the 3pt. line.

Too bad he only shoots 25% on WIDE OPEN 3s. Not to mention that standing around the 3 pt line takes him off the offensive glass.

Quote:

I think Marvin's a solid player, but his lack to extend the defense a little makes him more of a 1 dimensional offensive player.

Marvin drives and gets to the line a lot for a 1 dimensional player.

My point was simply that Josh chucking up 3's, albeit ill advised, keeps the defense honest which gives him the ability to drive to the lane. When Marvin plays aggresive, he's a better player no doubt. Unfortunately his aggressiveness comes and goes. If he could bridle it and keep it a constant part of his game, as well as keep it under control, he could become a better player. Understand, I like Marvin, but IMO the notion that Marvin Williams is a better player than Gerald Wallace is crazy. Will he eventually be? Who knows? Either way, I don't see the Hawks ponying up to find out unless he has a breakout year. He still puts up decent stats, but I believe someone out there with more $ to spend, will offer him a pretty good amount of that $ based on the potential Atlanta drafted him for and I don't see him worth that. Wallace is in the least, a lock down defender and versatile player. Marvin has a nice mid-range jumper and occasionally plays with fire. To me, it's not even a contest not to mention the other pieces of the deal I was proposing. Felton may not be the answer, but I'd feel pretty good about a rotation of Felton, Law, and God forbid we mention the name of Speedy Claxton. lol.