• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

We MUST sign either Elson or Kwame!

gutz

Once we get the Joshes all wrapped up we MUST sign another big to help Horford. Zaza is useless as we all know. I think either Franciso Elson or Kwame are very serviceable bigs much better than Zaza that we can get on the cheap. Personally i saw Elson play some when he was on the Spurs and he is very active and can score and defend. We could get him very cheap I think. Thoughts?

Agreed, he is far from useless. Zaza was a big factor in our playoff series and I think that he proved that if he gets enough playing time and accepts his role as our primary big off the bench that he can still be quite useful.

That being said I do hope that we will sign Kwame.

Zaza's biggest problem last year was that he had a poor attitude after the decision was made to start Horford at Center and he was relegated to role player off the bench. He openly pouted and it clearly affected his play.

Woody said after the season that it was important for Zaza to accept his role and come back with a better attitude. Late in the season and particularly in the playoffs, he played a lot more like the Zaza of last year and the year before. THAT Zaza definitely has value and that is the Zaza that I'm sure Woody wants to see.

Let me explain what the wise and concise mrHonline is saying to you. Let's say we get lucky and sign Smoove starting at 11 and Chillz starting at 5.6 (MLE). That gives us 10 guys under contract and 3.6M of space under the luxury tax.

Maybe you can sign one decent free agent with that much. But you have to fill out the roster to at least 13 players, so you definitely have to have two minimum salaries (400K * 2). That's probably Mario and Jeremy Richardson. Now you have 2.8M left for one guy. You say you want big? Ok.....but won't Kwame get at least as much as Turiaf (who just signed an offer sheet for about 4M per year)? Maybe you can get Elson - but even he made 3M last year. You could get Randolph Morris (my choice). Lorenzen Wright (ugh). Ratliff? But that's about it.

[and oh yeah, we can't do jack until we get the Joshes signed....priorities. That's going to take a while, especially if no one is forcing our hand with an offer sheet. We'll be lucky if there is anything left by the time we get on the market.]

and go over the luxury tax as long as we move some salary to a team under the cap before next season ends. I think that will be the plan and if the team is playing well then they might just bite the bullet and pay the tax.

Really? I guess it makes sense that you would settle up the luxury tax for a given year after the year has played out, since all midyear transactions affect your payroll immediately.

I kind of doubt we will put ourselves in that sort of position, but we will see. Interesting options.

I would rather split the mid level exception between the RIGHT shooter and the RIGHT big before bringing back Chillz. Our lack of depth WILL hurt us when a guy inevitablly sprains his wrist, ankle, or worse. The problem is you have to secure those 2 players before you let Chillz walk or your playing Russian Roulet. (Of course a sign and trade is alwayse possible, supposedly 8 teams have contacted the Hawks on sign and trade for Chillz).

MLE = $5.86 mill for 08-09 unless my source is inaccurate.

To me the right shooter / wing would be Rush, Hayse, Azubuki, or Barnes for 1/2 the MLE or $2.93 mill.

To me the right big would be Elson or K. Brown for 1/2 the MLE or $2.93 mill.

I prefer that over Chillz alone and players off the scrap heap making the league minimum like a West or Cedric Bozman. Now I would love to sign Chillz and find players off the scrap heap or on the summer league roster who could give us real production but we are more inclined to find another Bozman or West before we do a Rush, Barnes, Hayse, Brown, Elson , etc in summer league.

Its a tough call for sure ! If we cannot secure both the big and shooter by splitting the MLE or trade then we just keep Chillz by matching the MLE he is sure to get and do the best we can off the scrap heat of summer league rosters and league leftovers to fill out the roster.

While I agree that ZaZa played well and physical vs. the Celtics we can't forget the 82 game regular season when he dissapeard and pouted. We need an upgrade at Center and shooter who can defend more then we need Chillz in my opinion. When Horford or Smith got in foul trouble and ZaZa had to be subbed in.... is where we lost alot of leads and lost alot of regular season games. I recall that very well ! Get us a sub who can hold down the fort when Horford or or Smoove get in foul trouble and a wing with range and we improve more as team in my opinion.

• Premium Member

Quote:

and go over the luxury tax as long as we move some salary to a team under the cap before next season ends. I think that will be the plan and if the team is playing well then they might just bite the bullet and pay the tax.

Everyone currently on the roster is "part of the core."

I don't see the Hawks trading Bibby, Marvin, JJ, Law, or Horford...

Claxton is untradeable, and Jones doesn't make enough to help you out.

I can see the Hawks trading Bibby IF ...

1). Bibby proves that he can still help a team win.

2). Acie proves that he is ready to run our team.

3). Speedy or a FA PG is capable of being the backup to Acie.

We would have to find a team with the cap room to absorb Bibby or find a team with a large trade exception and give us a contract back that would get us under the tax.

Yeah I didn't realize that until recently either and in fact that article just went up today about which teams will have to pay the tax and what their tax bills are. Honestly I don't see how we can keep from going over the tax unless we don't bring back one of the Joshes and until that happens I am still going to believe that both will be back.

Quote:

Zaza's biggest problem last year was that he had a poor attitude after the decision was made to start Horford at Center and he was relegated to role player off the bench. He openly pouted and it clearly affected his play.

Woody said after the season that it was important for Zaza to accept his role and come back with a better attitude. Late in the season and particularly in the playoffs, he played a lot more like the Zaza of last year and the year before. THAT Zaza definitely has value and that is the Zaza that I'm sure Woody wants to see.

I agree with your analysis. I also believe he (Zaza)Can start with Al at the 4. Of course it would neccesitate JSmith to play 3 and Marvin of the bench or elsewhere. I dont believe we need major help at the 5, but a quality backup with Solomon's increase in ability.

• Premium Member

Quote:

I can see the Hawks trading Bibby IF ...

1). Bibby proves that he can still help a team win.

2). Acie proves that he is ready to run our team.

3). Speedy or a FA PG is capable of being the backup to Acie.

But that trade would almost certainly have to agreed to soon, rather than at the deadline. Bibby simply makes too much to gamble the luxury tax on.

Quote:

We would have to find a team with the cap room to absorb Bibby or find a team with a large trade exception and give us a contract back that would get us under the tax.

There won't be a team with an exception big enough to get it done.

I think that I read that Minnesota has an 8 million dollar trade exception, although I have no idea when it expires. Surely there are other teams out there with large trade exceptions. If we can get a 6-8 million dollar trade exception and a 7-8 million dollar contract that would get us back under the tax.

Quote:

I think that I read that Minnesota has an 8 million dollar trade exception, although I have no idea when it expires. Surely there are other teams out there with large trade exceptions. If we can get a 6-8 million dollar trade exception and a 7-8 million dollar contract that would get us back under the tax.

Did the T'Wolves not burn most of that exception with the 76ers trade of Carney, Booth, & 1st for salary cap space ?

Quote:

I also believe he (Zaza)Can start with Al at the 4. Of course it would neccesitate JSmith to play 3 and Marvin of the bench or elsewhere. I dont believe we need major help at the 5, but a quality backup with Solomon's increase in ability.

I think that would be an awful idea. If we are going to start someone at the 5 other than Horford, it needs to be someone who is defensive oriented. Zaza is NOT that. People think of his performance during the playoffs and seem to forget that throughout the regular season his dogged propensity to flopping, lack of defense, playing smaller than his near 7 foot frame and weight would indicate, and bad shooting % (especially in the playoffs) was the norm--not the exception. It just wouldn't be prudent for him to star...period.

Furthermore, if Smith slides to a traditional 3 spot, it will take him away from what he does best (play near the rim) and encourage him to do things he is clearly not string at [yet], which is play around the perimeter and taking perimeter shots.

We need a clear upgrade over Zaza, and it needs to be someone who becomes the primary big off the bench instead of him.

As for the final note, Solo still needs a lot of work. If he had logged more PT like he should have, then Solo would be a little farther ahead (I seriously doubt he gets any more PT now that Woody is back). But since he is not, then we can't depend on him much. We need serious help at the 5 if we are going to help bolster out defense because asking Zaza to be that guy would be akin to fitting a round peg in a square hole...it just won't work.