• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Smoove a SF?

Swish

One question that may have bearing on the JS situation is whether or not Josh can be moved to small forward. If so then I think we do all necessary to keep him. If not, we still should keep him; but with Horf also a PF and we could turn Josh into a center...(Kaman, etc.)I don't know. Lets break it down, gentlemen magnify.gif

Why smoove could play SF:

1. If he works on it he could beat most guys off the dribble.

2. He can post up the bejesus out of most SFs.

3. This would let him defend guys like LeBron, Pierce, yada yada yada, which if practiced I think he could be a much better 1 on 1 defender.

4. I think our fast break might improve.

5. He's 6'9.

Why he can't:

1. You pretty much close your eyes when he launches that shot.

2. Some would say he is too slow to defend the perimeter.

3. This would probably curb his blocks.

4. Horf is not as good a post defender.

5. See number 1!

Any other points? What do y'all think?

He can cover many SF's adequately on defense, but I don't think his offense will ever be refined enough to be a SF on that end of the floor.

He does not have a good enough shot or ball handling skills to be put at SF full time.

PF is where he will make a name for himself. He is quicker than just about any other PF in the league.

I agree about Horford, I wish there was some way to keep them both...Horford at C just doesn't sound great to me. He had a great rookie year there, but he would be better at PF.

I think we'll eventually have to trade one for a Center, and as much as I love Josh Smith, I think it needs to be him that goes.

Horford will be a better man to man defender and much more consistent. I believe Horford will end up being the better player, even though Smoove's potential is still through the roof.

Get someone like Kaman in here for Smoove and I am a very happy man.

Whats this infatuation with Kaman. Lets take the boston series take smooth out and put kaman in the lineup.

Bibby

Johnson

Marvin

Horford

Kaman

what is that team gonna do. Smooth was the difference in the series everyone knew joe would be the main point of interest.

It's possible. Smith is young enough and is in an early enough stage in his career where if he works on it, he can get that jump shot to be more consistent. I was one of the few people who thought it wouldn't be possible, then someone on here, I think Diesel, pointed that out, and it's a very good point.

Quote:

It's possible. Smith is young enough and is in an early enough stage in his career where if he works on it, he can get that jump shot to be more consistent. I was one of the few people who thought it wouldn't be possible, then someone on here, I think Diesel, pointed that out, and it's a very good point.

Smoove is what he is.

He's not magically going to acquire ball handling skills and a perimeter jump shot.

He simply does not have those assets.

He belongs at the 4 for the reasons why I suggested when he was still at the 3.

At the 4 he is above average to elite at doing things that he is average to below doing at the 3.

It puts him near the basket where he is more dangerous offensively and defensively.

Quote:

Smith's eFG% on his jumper:

Rookie: 28% FG

2nd yr: 37%

3rd yr: 31%

last yr: 31%

+50% is great

+45% is good

+40% is average

+35% is below average

anything below 35% is absolutely horrible

Remember, the eFG% counts a made three pointer as 1.5 FGs.

So if you made 3 out of 6 total shots ( box score of 50% FG ), and two of those makes were 3-pointers, the two 3s woud actually equal 3FGs made + the one 2-pointer made . . . .that gives you a total of 4FGs made out of 6 . . . and your eFG% would be 66.7%.

It's almost like some people want Smith to fail or something. Or then again, it may be all about their dislike for Marvin, like it usually is.

Horford is very capable of becoming a guy who can effectively play both center and PF at a high level.

And I'll tell you this. If Horford proves to be the more efficient offensive player, he WILL eventually get more touches than Smoove in the halfcourt offense.

That will either force Smith to change up his game, and start crashing the offensive bords more to get his points, or he'll pout like AK47 did, and possibly want out anyway.

But people can't just keep saying that we need a center, without naming a REALISTIC guy we can bring in.

The key to a Horford/Smith frontline, is maximizing the production of Horford when he plays PF. And like other people have constantly said, that means maybe only getting a reserve center that can play defense for 20 minutes a game.

Guest Walter

Quote:

But people can't just keep saying that we need a center, without naming a REALISTIC guy we can bring in.

How realistic is JS/ZaZa/lotto protected 1st for Kaman/resigned Livingston?

I don't know how "realistic" any trade for Kaman is but it isn't very realistic. Still, Kaman, maybe Biedrins would be two of the few "available" centers I would consider for JS. I no longer consider Bynum, even after his injury, "available".

W

Quote:

Quote:

How realistic is JS/ZaZa/lotto protected 1st for Kaman/resigned Livingston?

I don't know how "realistic" any trade for Kaman is but it isn't very realistic. Still, Kaman, maybe Biedrins would be two of the few "available" centers I would consider for JS. I no longer consider Bynum, even after his injury, "available".

W

You propose to give JSmith, Zaza AND a #1 for TWO injuries that both do not shoot well healthy.

This must be your drinking hour.

Guest Walter

Quote:

You propose to give JSmith, Zaza AND a #1 for TWO injuries that both do not shoot well healthy. This must be your drinking hour.

First, I don't know the extent of Kaman's injury "history" last year but it appeared to be only a near season end ankle sprain. Otherwise, I don't see him as an "injury" AT ALL!

Having said that, it takes a real narrow-minded, short-sighted fan to look past the team's need at center and over-value a ZaZa.

I have no problem not including the lotto protected 1st for Livingston (I would necessitate an extensive physical BTW) and making the deal JS/ZaZa for Kaman.

The most important point is I desire to build a TEAM capable of contention. Do you think Kaman, Horford, & (FA MLE Pf/C due to Kaman's lower salary) is better or worse than Horford, ZaZa, JS? I LOVE Josh but you'd be crazy to say Horford, JS, ZaZa is a better 4, 5 threesome.

W

Quote:

Quote:

You propose to give JSmith, Zaza AND a #1 for TWO injuries that both do not shoot well healthy. This must be your drinking hour.

First, I don't know the extent of Kaman's injury "history" last year but it appeared to be only a near season end ankle sprain. Otherwise, I don't see him as an "injury" AT ALL!

Having said that, it takes a real narrow-minded, short-sighted fan to look past the team's need at center and over-value a ZaZa.

I have no problem not including the lotto protected 1st for Livingston (I would necessitate an extensive physical BTW) and making the deal JS/ZaZa for Kaman.

The most important point is I desire to build a TEAM capable of contention. Do you think Kaman, Horford, & (FA MLE Pf/C due to Kaman's lower salary) is better or worse than Horford, ZaZa, JS? I LOVE Josh but you'd be crazy to say Horford, JS, ZaZa is a better 4, 5 threesome.

W

I like Kamen but he does not have JSmith's range of impact. Clearly. Zaza is still very young, too young to dismiss. With a thin roster and Marvin's inevitable jettison, the pick will be needed.

Guest Walter

Quote:

I like Kamen but he does not have JSmith's range of impact. Clearly. Zaza is still very young, too young to dismiss. With a thin roster and Marvin's inevitable jettison, the pick will be needed.

Then retain the pick. I'm not sure Livingston will pass any physical anyway. But ZaZa/JS for Kaman isn't much different. Nobody's drinking but the person who would rather have a Horford, ZaZa, JS frontline over Kaman, Horford, FA MLE Pf/C.

W

Quote:

Quote:

Then retain the pick. I'm not sure Livingston will pass any physical anyway. But ZaZa/JS for Kaman isn't much different. Nobody's drinking but the person who would rather have a Horford, ZaZa, JS frontline over Kaman, Horford, FA MLE Pf/C.

W

Walter, who the heck is "FA MLE Pf/C" ? Kamen is a nice piece, like a Dalembart where as Daly is a better defender and Kamen is a better scorer. But Curry can score, Frye can score, Gasol can score. But as well as Kamen, they are not "Elite". JSmith has a chance to be "Elite" and is a better commodity than Kamen Right Now. Heck, Al is a better commodity as a center than Kamen.

I'd trade Marvin and Zaza for Kamen and a #2. But I wouldn't move Smith for him.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

W

Walter, who the heck is "FA MLE Pf/C" ? Kamen is a nice piece, like a Dalembart where as Daly is a better defender and Kamen is at better scorer. But Curry can score, Frye can score, Gasol can score. But as well as Kamen, they are not "Elite". JSmith has a chance to be "Elite" and is a better commodity than Kamen Right Now. Heck, Al is a better commodity as a center than Kamen.

I'd trade Marvin and Zaza for Kamen and a #2. But I wouldn't move Smith for him.

I'm a big Horford fan, but that just isn't true. If we put Horford on the block, and they put Kaman on the block, I think the Clippers would get more back than we would.

Guest Walter

Quote:

Kamen is a nice piece

Kaman averaged 15.7/12.7/2.8 last year. Find me the last center to do that other than Howard.

BTW, Duncan's rebound and block totals have only once been better than Kaman's this year. ONCE!

Dwight Howard got 20.7, 14.2, 2.2 in 3 more MPG this season.

Quote:

Quote:

Kamen is a nice piece

Kaman averaged 15.7/12.7/2.8 last year. Find me the last center to do that other than Howard.

BTW, Duncan's rebound and block totals have only once been better than Kaman's this year. ONCE!

Those are impressive numbers especially the rebounds. I would (after much internal debate) rather not have JSmith in trade discussions. I would have JSmith, Chillz, JJ and Al as "off the market" and asset the rest for improvement.

Marvin, Bibs and the 2010 pick are the bait.

Quote:

I'm a big Horford fan, but that just isn't true. If we put Horford on the block, and they put Kaman on the block, I think the Clippers would get more back than we would.

I would probably disagree here. You might be surprised after Horf's season. I'm thinking Kaman has probably hit the ceiling while Al is up, up, and away...

Quote:

Quote:

Kamen is a nice piece

So Walter- would you trade Josh for Kaman straight up?

Quote:

Quote:

W

What happened to Livingston again? Shattered kneecap?

I think those two frontlines are equal. Horf/JS causes so many matchup problems its unreal.