• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Clipps just showed....

Diesel

• Premium Member

How powerful cap space can be.

The question is... what will we do with our 15 Million dollar cap space of Bibby and our 4 Million dollar cap space of Zaza. Camby is by no means a bad player.

Quote:

The question is... what will we do with our 15 Million dollar cap space of Bibby and our 4 Million dollar cap space of Zaza. Camby is by no means a bad player.

I say we keep Bibby all season, and just let him walk at the end. That 15 mil could get us a good FA next summer.

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

I say we keep Bibby all season, and just let him walk at the end. That 15 mil could get us a good FA next summer.

I haven't checked the numbers but I believe next summer we won't be able to spend more than the MLE because we won't have cap room even with Bibby's contract coming off the books.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I haven't checked the numbers but I believe next summer we won't be able to spend more than the MLE because we won't have cap room even with Bibby's contract coming off the books.

It depends on how much we spend for Smoove and Chillz.

We stand to lose 20 Million with Zaza, Bibby, and Solo coming off. That can take us from 65 Million to 45 Million. So you're right, we won't be close enough to get a big free agent.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

We stand to lose 20 Million with Zaza, Bibby, and Solo coming off. That can take us from 65 Million to 45 Million. So you're right, we won't be close enough to get a big free agent.

I don't understand. 15 million is 15 million, we wouldn't be able to offer someone a 5/70 to make up the gap left by Bibby's expired contract ?

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I don't understand. 15 million is 15 million, we wouldn't be able to offer someone a 5/70 to make up the gap left by Bibby's expired contract ?

The Knicks lose salary every year off their cap but their number is so high they can't bid on FAs (other than the MLE). To bid on an unrestricted FA, you need to be under the cap.

Here is a simplistic example:

If the cap is 55M and the luxury tax is 70M and we are at 68M next season, we can lose 15M off that number and we are only down to 53M. That would leave us 2M in cap room to make an offer - not enough to get a real FA. Even if we are only at 62M next year in this hypo, 15M coming off the cap would only put us at 47M and give us only 8M to bid on a FA.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

The Knicks lose salary every year off their cap but their number is so high they can't bid on FAs (other than the MLE). To bid on an unrestricted FA, you need to be under the cap.

Here is a simplistic example:

If the cap is 55M and the luxury tax is 70M and we are at 68M next season, we can lose 15M off that number and we are only down to 53M. That would leave us 2M in cap room to make an offer - not enough to get a real FA. Even if we are only at 62M next year in this hypo, 15M coming off the cap would only put us at 47M and give us only 8M to bid on a FA.

Ah! Ok. I was thinking that once you went over the cap, you were in luxury tax land. But there is a 15 mil gap between that. Thanks.

• Moderators

Quote:

Ah! Ok. I was thinking that once you went over the cap, you were in luxury tax land. But there is a 15 mil gap between that. Thanks.

15 million was kind of an arbitrary number I picked for the example but it is somewhere not too far from there in real life.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

15 million was kind of an arbitrary number I picked for the example but it is somewhere not too far from there in real life.

This year, the Luxury tax cap is 71.1 We're at 51.747. We have roughly 19 Million before we stop spending. That's why a frontloaded contract to Smoove was so big. It would put us at the LTC.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

This year, the Luxury tax cap is 71.1 We're at 51.747. We have roughly 19 Million before we stop spending. That's why a frontloaded contract to Smoove was so big. It would put us at the LTC.

mwahaha.gifmwahaha.gifmwahaha.gifmwahaha.gif

I guess you missed the post where AHF quoted the CBA directly and it said specifically that signing bonuses are spread out over the life of the contract.

Quote:

Quote:

Yeah, like J-Smoove LOL

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Yeah, like J-Smoove LOL

You lost me.