• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Potential. Belief not hope as a fan.

Zone034life

There is a difference between hoping a player develops properly and believing he will develop into an impact player. I hope every Hawks player does well in every game. That doesn't mean I believe some of them will develop into the player others believe they will.

So who do you believe will reach there full potential? We all hope they play well.

That depends on how good you think each one is going to be.

For example, Marv was billed as a star in the making when we drafted him so some people might think that is his potential. However, 3 years in we can all pretty much see that even if everything goes right he probably won't be a star.

How good do you think Horford will be? I think Horford is willing to work his ass off to become as good as he can be, but how good is that? I don't think he'll be a super star but I think that in the right situation he could be a fairly efficient 18-12 with good defense in the post.

What is Smith's potential? He came into the league with nothing and slipped to 17 because no one thought he'd be as good as he is now. Has he surpassed what most thought his potential would be?

• Premium Member

Quote:

For example, Marv was billed as a star in the making when we drafted him so some people might think that is his potential. However, 3 years in we can all pretty much see that even if everything goes right he probably won't be a star.

You do know that there is a difference between potential and expectation right?

Quote:

Quote:

You do know that there is a difference between potential and expectation right?

Sorry, that was a problem with my phrasing. I should have said, "That depends on how good you think each on COULD be" of course you could have read the rest of what I wrote and figured it out.

My point is that different people are going to think different things about the ceiling of a player. So for me, if Marv ever becomes a consistently solid wing defender who can consistently knock down the long jumper (he hits 41% of his 2pt. jumpers which isn't anything special and he doesn't take 3s), I'll be happy because he'll be a great role player. Some people are always going to judge him as the superstar he was billed at but I don't think that falls withing "potential" for him because I don't think he has the coordination, in-game athleticism, physical or mental toughness, or skillset for it.

Quote:

My point is that different people are going to think different things about the ceiling of a player.

And that is the obvious flaw in this poll.

I might think Zaza is capable of averaging 12 and 8 at his full potential.

You might think that he could be a 20/10 guy.

Therefore, I think he has reached his potential and you think he hasn't. What does that really say about him when we read the results of this poll in terms of his ability?

Not much, except that people have very different opinions of how good a player can/will be.

Zone3...It sounds like in the first paragraph you are asking who will be the best players for the Hawks when we look back on their careers. Then you ask who will reach their potential...I'm not sure which you mean.

Josh Smith realizing 1/2 his potential > Zaza Pachulia reaching all of his.

• Premium Member

Quote:

My point is that different people are going to think different things about the ceiling of a player. So for me, if Marv ever becomes a consistently solid wing defender who can consistently knock down the long jumper
(he hits 41% of his 2pt. jumpers which isn't anything special and he doesn't take 3s),
I'll be happy because he'll be a great role player. Some people are always going to judge him as the superstar he was billed at but I don't think that falls withing "potential" for him because I don't think he has the coordination, in-game athleticism, physical or mental toughness, or skillset for it.

You do realize that potential describes what a player can become and not what he has done already right?

The overanalyzation of this thread has already begun. Of course it is a matter of opinion what the ceiling of each player is.

The poll was intended for every person to vote on what they consider the max potential of each player and if they feel they can reach that goal. Is it that difficult?

I thought crimedog did an excellent job of explaining what he thought was good enough for Marvin to become in his career.

Jhay go by your own personal goals for each player and ask yourself, "Do I believe this player will reach that" or "Do I hope this player will reach that"?

I don't think Marv will be a SUPERSTAR along the lines of Chris Paul or Deron Williams but I do think he will be a very good player/borderline All Star.

I think Horforfd has a GREAT shot of being an 18/12 guy.

Where I disagree with you is Smoove. He didn't come into the league with "nothing." He came into the league as one of the top 5 athletes in the NBA. The only athletes in the entire league who I think are better athletes from a pure athleticism standpoint are Vince Carter and LeBron. There are others in the conversation (Kobe, T Mac, Amare, D Howard, etc) but I think Josh is top 5. That is A LOT more than "nothing."

Smoove's game was definitely raw coming into the league but when you are that level of an athlete, if you can develop AVERAGE NBA skills, you are going to be an elite level player. I ALWAYS thought that Smoove's POTENTIAL was that of an NBA superstar, I just wasn't sure (and still ain't) that he will reach his full potential. WORST CASE though, he will be a borderline All Star talent. Even though Smoove didn't get drafted until #17 and Chillz was the #6 pick in the same draft, I NEVER thought Chillz had as much POTENTIAL as Smoove.

Quote:

Quote:

My point is that different people are going to think different things about the ceiling of a player. So for me, if Marv ever becomes a consistently solid wing defender who can consistently knock down the long jumper
(he hits 41% of his 2pt. jumpers which isn't anything special and he doesn't take 3s),
I'll be happy because he'll be a great role player. Some people are always going to judge him as the superstar he was billed at but I don't think that falls withing "potential" for him because I don't think he has the coordination, in-game athleticism, physical or mental toughness, or skillset for it.

You do realize that potential describes what a player can become and not what he has done already right?

Ha, my point was that a lot of people say that Marv consistently hits his long 2s now which isn't the case. Realizing his potential would be more consistency there.

Quote:

There is a difference between hoping a player develops properly and believing he will develop into an impact player. I hope every Hawks player does well in every game. That doesn't mean I believe some of them will develop into the player others believe they will.

So who do you believe will reach there full potential? We all hope they play well.

btw the poll percentages make no sense. it should be percentage of all voters on each

If everyone steps up a little then the team can be really improved.

It will be very interesting to see if BK cast a shadow over these guys and the coaches. it's hard to tell but Sund projects a totally different kind of energy and is more positive and sure hope it is felt in our culture.

I chose all of them except Solomon Jones and Zaza Pachulia. Al Horford, Acie Law, Josh Childress, Josh Smith, Marvin Williams.... all of those players have shown great improvements already, and I've got a strong feeling that Al Horford and Josh Smith will reach their peak faster than any of those other players listed. However, I do believe some players will take longer to develop. Marvin is almost there (he's almost peaked, but he's still gradually improving in my eyes and stats-wise regardless of what the haters say). Acie Law is a bit too raw, but he will, in time, reach his peak. Chillz, IMO, is the same with Marvin. He's almost there. He's got the experience, but he's still got some ways to improve.

This question just goes to show you that we have many solid young players who can potentially become all-stars (Horford, Smith and maybe Marvin).