• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Marvin vs JR Smith

A-town Hawks

If everything that atown says about JR Smith is true, then George Karl is BY FAR the worst coach in the NBA. He's limiting the minutes of a future star, just to play AI at the 2 and Carter at the 1?

( edited ) Why not play AI at the 1, Smith at the 2, and Melo at the 3 most of the game? There has to be a reason why he doesn't do it, even though Iverson easily led that team in assists.

So if he's not playing a potential "all-star" like JR, Karl is a HORRIBLE COACH.

Worse than Woody.

Quote:

If everything that atown says about JR Smith is true, then George Karl is BY FAR the worst coach in thw NBA. He's limiting the minutes of a future star, just to play AI at the 2 and Carter at the 1?

Karl is a HORRIBLR COACH then. Worse than Woody.

He may be. He has underachieved everywhere except Seattle. And Seattle was a Loooong time ago.

Denver had Loads of talent last year to be swept.

Woody did a Great job compared to Karl. Cmon 'cyde.

Quote:

I don't understand you can irrationally praise a player like JR Smith, who is solid, but claim a player who has had a better career is worse and has no star potential. Marvin's defense
is
above average for a SF, and JR Smith's defense is below average for a SG. If JR Smith was the player you claim him to be, he would have started instead of come off the bench. He's a solid shooter, but he does nothing to deserve the hype you're giving him. To say J.R. Smith, a player who has played for like 3 teams in his 4 years in the NBA, can be a star and reply Marvin can't be a star makes it seems like you don't watch the team. I'm not taking anything away from JR Smith, but his 12 ppg and 2 rpg averages, coupled with the fact that he could not get over 20 minutes on a team that isn't necessarily loaded with talent makes me believe that he isn't a future star. Marvin, who came into the league a year later, averages 15 and 6 and is a good defender, and he has NO star potential ?

I don't understand your logic.

All the things that you've stated right there have nothing to do with why JR can be a star. In your post I just saw alot of the reasons as to why JR is a risk vs reward type player. The kid is still immature, which is his biggest problem and explains why he's been to 3 teams in 4 years and couldnt get over 20 min per game. But on the court theres no denying he's a stud. I say he has star potential because even though in his career up till now he has had many maturity problems (like smoove) which comes with young players, the talent he possesses if channeled right can be used to make him a all-star (which he was being considered as before the A.I trade in 07). Woody has dealt with Smith's personality and imaturity problems nicely and Smith is playing like a star for us and is arguable the fac of our franchise (to the casual fan). Imagine if JR's talent is chanelled the right way and woody got him on the same page as everyone else, theres no doubt JR would help the team make HUGE offensive strides, not hurt us defensively, and help our future financially.

Marvin does nothing special for us that a guy like recently signed Mo evans would do for us if given the mintues and opportunity Marvin has had. I don't understand the Marvin hype to be honest he's a average player that has jus gotten more expectations and and more opportunity because he was the 2nd overall pick in 2004 (and wrongfully so). Im by no means a Marvin hater, I just think he should be utilized in a trade soon before his potential and value is exposed for what it is.

Quote:

If everything that atown says about JR Smith is true, then George Karl is BY FAR the worst coach in the NBA. He's limiting the minutes of a future star, just to play AI at the 2 and Carter at the 1?

( edited ) Why not play AI at the 1, Smith at the 2, and Melo at the 3 most of the game? There has to be a reason why he doesn't do it, even though Iverson easily led that team in assists.

So if he's not playing a potential "all-star" like JR, Karl is a HORRIBLE COACH.

Worse than Woody.

Maybe Karl isnt HORRIBLE. But alot of Denver fans do want him out because of his lack of stability in the rotation. And you ask why not play AI at the 1, JR at the 2 and melo at the 3? Because that rotation with AI at the 1 was not working for them as AI showed he wasnt comfortable running Karls system at the point, which expelled JR to the bench. Karl wasn't too happy with putting JR at the bench so he even experimented with JR playing the PG at times just to have the three best talents on the court but that failed so JR was reduced to a 6th man role. As I said Im also a nuggets fan, so i watch alot of the games (when the hawks were off).

Quote:

Quote:

a guy like Hollinger who like many ESPN writers dont give a damn to watch the hawks.

Ah...you gotta scratch that assertion. Hollinger is perched 25-35 games upstairs at the Philips. Watching.

Haha, yeah. I laughed when I saw that too because Hollinger often mentions that he goes to Hawks games regularly b/c he lives in ATL.

</font>

<font class="small">Quote:</font><hr />

I don't understand you can irrationally praise a player like JR Smith, who is solid, but claim a player who has had a better career is worse and has no star potential. Marvin's defense
is
above average for a SF, and JR Smith's defense is below average for a SG. If JR Smith was the player you claim him to be, he would have started instead of come off the bench. He's a solid shooter, but he does nothing to deserve the hype you're giving him. To say J.R. Smith, a player who has played for like 3 teams in his 4 years in the NBA, can be a star and reply Marvin can't be a star makes it seems like you don't watch the team. I'm not taking anything away from JR Smith, but his 12 ppg and 2 rpg averages, coupled with the fact that he could not get over 20 minutes on a team that isn't necessarily loaded with talent makes me believe that he isn't a future star. Marvin, who came into the league a year later, averages 15 and 6 and is a good defender, and he has NO star potential ?

<font class="post">

So you suppose AI and 'Melo are "isn't necessarily loaded with talent", "isn't necessarily loaded with talent"? You must be Mad.

You just named 2 people on a 15 man roster. Therefore, that roster isn't necessarily loaded with talent. They have talented players, no doubt, but it's not like they are filled with talent.

</font>

<font class="small">Quote:</font><hr />

is

<font class="post">

All the things that you've stated right there have nothing to do with why JR can be a star. In your post I just saw alot of the reasons as to why JR is a risk vs reward type player. The kid is still immature, which is his biggest problem and explains why he's been to 3 teams in 4 years and couldnt get over 20 min per game. But on the court theres no denying he's a stud. I say he has star potential because even though in his career up till now he has had many maturity problems (like smoove) which comes with young players, the talent he possesses if channeled right can be used to make him a all-star (which he was being considered as before the A.I trade in 07). Woody has dealt with Smith's personality and imaturity problems nicely and Smith is playing like a star for us and is arguable the fac of our franchise (to the casual fan). Imagine if JR's talent is chanelled the right way and woody got him on the same page as everyone else, theres no doubt JR would help the team make HUGE offensive strides, not hurt us defensively, and help our future financially.

Marvin does nothing special for us that a guy like recently signed Mo evans would do for us if given the mintues and opportunity Marvin has had. I don't understand the Marvin hype to be honest he's a average player that has jus gotten more expectations and and more opportunity because he was the 2nd overall pick in 2004 (and wrongfully so). Im by no means a Marvin hater, I just think he should be utilized in a trade soon before his potential and value is exposed for what it is.

I'm not saying JR Smith can't be a star. It's just that he has done next to nothing, and you are praising him like he is a Rudy Gay or <insert the name of a real borderline star>. JR Smith's career highs in points and minutes are both lower than Marvin, so like I've said Marvin has had the much better career so far. There's a lot of "if, ands, & buts" with JR Smith, but why trade for that when we know we are going to get from Marv ? Especially when JR has done next to nothing in the league, and Marvin Williams will be just as good as (or better than) JR Smith without the questions about his work ethic or maturity ? I just don't know what you think JR will bring to the table, and especially playing SF (I assumed that's where you wanted to start him) against some of the best forwards in the league. JR Smith on the Hawks will not make the Hawks better if you trade Marvin Williams. He's not the type of player you want to trade a starter for, but one that you add in addition to having that starter.