• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

This Is Worth The Read.....

Diesel

• Premium Member

I started thinking... What if it's not the ASG? What if it's Sund? Is there anything in Sund's history that suggests that he is a procastinator? Let's see:

April 24 2007

Named team consultant.

April 11 2007

Signed guard Randy Livingston.

January 25 2007

Signed forward Andre Brown for the remainder of the season.

January 15 2007

Signed forward Andre Brown to a second 10-day contract.

January 5 2007

Signed forward Andre Brown to a 10-day contract.

January 4 2007

Waived guard Desmon Farmer and center Andreas Glyniadakis.

November 5 2006

Signed center Andreas Glyniadakis and waived guard Kareem Rush.

October 31 2006

Signed forward Nick Collison to a contract extension.

October 30 2006

Signed guard Luke Ridnour to a contract extension.

October 26 2006

Waived guards Milt Palacio and Denham Brown.

October 20 2006

Waived forward Kenny Adeleke and exercised the contract options on centers Robert Swift and Johan Petro through 2007-08.

October 2 2006

Signed guard Denham Brown.

September 29 2006

Signed guards Milt Palacio, Desmon Farmer and Kareem Rush and forward Kenny Adeleke.

August 15 2006

Re-signed forward Chris Wilcox.

July 27 2006

Traded forward Mikki Moore to the New Jersey Nets for a 2009 second-round pick.

July 12 2006

Signed forward Mickael Gelabale.

July 10 2006

Signed center Saer Sene.

Draft 2006

Selected center Saer Sene (10th overall pick) and guards Denham Brown (40th overall pick) and Yotam Halperin (53rd overall pick).

June 23 2006

Tendered a qualifying offer to forward Chris Wilcox.

June 7 2006

Named Gordon Chiesa assistant coach.

SEASON 2005-06

April 17 2006

Exercised the contract option on head coach Bob Hill through 2007-08.

March 22 2006

Signed forward Noel Felix for the remainder of the season.

March 12 2006

Signed forward Noel Felix to a second 10-day contract.

March 8 2006

Signed forward Marcus Fizer to a 10-day contract.

March 2 2006

Signed forward Noel Felix to a 10-day contract.

March 1 2006

Waived forward Bryon Russell.

February 28 2006

Waived guard Rick Brunson.

February 23 2006

Traded Reggie Evans to the Denver Nuggets and center Vitaly Potapenko to the Sacramento Kings for guard Earl Watson, forward Bryon Russell, a 2008 second-round pick and cash from the Denver Nuggets; traded guard Ronald Murray to the Cleveland Cavaliers for Mike Wilks.

February 14 2006

Traded forward Vladimir Radmanovic to the Los Angeles Clippers for forward Chris Wilcox.

February 7 2006

Signed Mateen Cleaves to a second 10-day contract.

January 28 2006

Signed Mateen Cleaves to a 10-day contract.

January 20 2006

Named Detlef Schrempf assistant coach.

January 4 2006

Waived guard Mateen Cleaves.

January 3 2006

Fired head coach Bob Weiss and named Bob Hill interim head coach.

October 11 2005

Named Brendan Malone basketball operations consultant.

October 6 2005

Exercised the contract options on guard Luke Ridnour and forward Nick Collison through 2006-07.

October 4 2005

Re-signed forward Reggie Evans to a one-year qualifying offer.

September 30 2005

Re-signed guard Mateen Cleaves.

September 27 2005

Re-signed guard Ronald Murray to a one-year qualifying offer.

September 21 2005

Re-signed forward Vladimir Radmanovic to a one-year qualifying offer.

August 31 2005

Signed forward Mikki Moore.

August 26 2005

Named Bob Hill and Ralph Lewis assistant coaches.

August 24 2005

Matched the offer sheet tendered by the Minnesota Timberwolves to forward Damien Wilkins.

August 23 2005

Re-signed center Vitaly Potapenko.

August 5 2005

Signed guard Rick Brunson.

August 3 2005

Re-signed guard Ray Allen.

August 1 2005

Signed Jack Sikma to a contract extension and named Walt Rock assistant coach.

July 18 2005

Named Bob Weiss head coach.

July 12 2005

Signed center Johan Petro.

June 30 2005

Extended qualifying offers to guard Ronald Murray and forwards Vladimir Radmanovic, Reggie Evans and Damien Wilkins.

Draft 2005

Selected center Johan Petro (25th overall pick) and forwards Mickael Gelabale (48th overall pick) and Lawrence Roberts (55th overall pick).

Traded the draft rights to forward Lawrence Roberts to the Memphis Grizzlies for cash considerations.

June 22 2005

Signed a three-year contract extension.

SEASON 2004-05

January 31 2005

Waived guard Ibrahim Kutluay.

November 5 2004

Signed guard Mateen Cleaves.

October 28 2004

Waived guards Mateen Cleaves and Galen Young.

October 15 2004

Waived guards David Young and Carl English.

October 7 2004

Waived forward Leon Smith.

October 4 2004

Signed guards Mateen Cleaves, Carl English and Galen Young and forwards Damien Wilkins and Leon Smith.

September 22 2004

Signed guard Ibrahim Kutluay.

September 1 2004

Signed guard David Young.

July 26 2004

Traded center Calvin Booth to the Dallas Mavericks for forward Danny Fortson.

July 14 2004

Signed center Robert Swift.

Draft 2004

Selected center Robert Swift (12th overall pick) and guard Andre Emmett (35th overall pick) and David Young (41st overall pick).

Traded the draft rights to guard Andre Emmett to the Memphis Grizzlies for a future second-round pick and cash considerations.

SEASON 2003-04

April 7 2003

Signed forward Leon Smith to a 10-day contract.

October 22 2003

Exercised the contract option on forward Vladimir Radmanovic through 2004-05.

October 1 2003

Waived guard Joseph Forte.

September 28 2003

Signed center Predrag Drobnjak and traded him to the Los Angeles Clippers for a second-round pick.

September 27 2003

Re-signed forward Reggie Evans.

July 19 2003

Signed guard Antonio Daniels.

July 9 2003

Signed guard Luke Ridnour.

July 7 2003

Signed forward Nick Collison.

Draft 2003

Selected forward Nick Collison (12th overall pick) and guards Luke Ridnour (14th overall pick) and Willie Green (41st overall pick).

Traded the draft rights to guard Willie Green to the Seattle SuperSonics for the draft rights to guard Paccelis Morlende.

SEASON 2002-03

February 20 2003

Traded guards Gary Payton and Desmond Mason to the Milwaukee Bucks for guards Ray Allen, Kevin Ollie and Ronald Murray and a conditional 2003 first-round draft pick; traded guard Kenny Anderson to the New Orleans Hornets for center Elden Campbell.

October 24 2002

Waived guard Miles Simon.

October 23 2002

Waived forward Kei Madison.

October 9 2002

Released guard Sean Colson, forward Jameel Watkins and centers Eric Chenowith, Jonathan Kerner and Ron Rollerson.

September 19 2002

Re-signed forward Rashard Lewis to a seven-year contract.

August 21 2002

Signed forward Ansu Sesay to a two-year contract.

August 19 2002

Exercised the contract option on guard Desmond Mason through 2003-04.

July 22 2002

Traded forward Vin Baker and guard Shammond Williams to the Boston Celtics for center Vitaly Potapenko and guards Kenny Anderson and Joseph Forte.

July 18 2002

Signed center Jerome James to a three-year contract.

Draft 2002

Selected center Peter Fehse (49th overall pick).

So here we see.. most of his resigns on RFAs come in August and Sept.

Most of his signed Rookie take the month of July.

So for those of you who think that we will move on Smoove soon... I doubt it. Sund's history suggests that he's not quick to move.

Just imagine...

If we lose Both Smoove and Chillz because of the incompetent slowness of Sund... what that will make BK look like?

BK said (as he was leaving) that it's most important to sign the Joshes. I think both Joshes would probably be resigned if BK were still here.

So here we see.. most of his resigns on RFAs come in August and Sept.

Most of his signed Rookie take the month of July.

So for those of you who think that we will move on Smoove soon... I doubt it. Sund's history suggests that he's not quick to move.

His history definitely suggests that he will take his time signing guys. I wonder if any of his players other than Radman actually took he QO. He certainly doesn't seem to threatened by the possibility of it.

Yeah, I also suggested this based on recent comments by Seattle fans. The thread isn't very inspiring. Sund has a history of being a d*ck with RFAs, and he has no relationship with Smith.

http://www.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=827884

Since those people are internet posters they must be mindless reactionary critics so their opinions don't count.

Ex,

Wouldn't it be fair to say that in most of your post you take the attitude that "those people don't count."???????

You obviously are missing my joke but i know Atlas gets it.

Good luck finding any post i have made which is derogatory to internet posters in general or posters on this board as a whole.

I think its more like Sund was hired because he takes his time. The ASG also has a track record of taking forever to get something done. See: JJ, Al Harrington, finding a vet PG, finding a legit big man, etc.

I think its more like Sund was hired because he takes his time.

It's perfectly reasonable to take your time with a player who is not one of the top 3 players on your team and is commanding more money than he should earn (i.e. Childress). Like PHX with JJ, he was their 4th best player and we were offering the max. It's completely understandable that they didn't want to pay.

However, when the player is an absolute key to your team winning, is 22 years old and a hometown kid with no injury history, you don't alienate them and treat them like you don't care to get them resigned just because it's over a few million dollars. You just don't do that, PERIOD, especially when you're already a playoff team. It leads to players feeling insulted and unappreciated by the organization, similar to Childress and JJ.

Since those people are internet posters they must be mindless reactionary critics so their opinions don't count.

Yeah, I wouldn't buy the opinions of fans of the team that the GM ran for all those years either. :rolleyes: They obviously have no clue what they're talking about, much like us with BK.

Well, whether Sund is a procrastinator or not....the bottom-line is that if the ASG came to him and said "Look, this guy is absolute priority to this franchise. Get him signed, NOW.", then Sund would sign him. I mean those would be his bosses speaking there, and that's what I would have expected out of them given how repeatedly they asserted the utmost priority of keeping the Hawks core together no matter the cost. Why that's changed, I have no idea. I don't think it's Sund though, as I don't believe he has that level of autonomy yet (if he ever will). I believe this emanates from the top, and that Sund is working with whatever he's been given to work with.

Could the whole plan have changed once BK left? Could these guys be THAT fricken crazy? I would really hope not, but like I say, nothing would surprise me when it comes to the Atlanta Spirit Group.

• Premium Member
It's perfectly reasonable to take your time with a player who is not one of the top 3 players on your team and is commanding more money than he should earn (i.e. Childress). Like PHX with JJ, he was their 4th best player and we were offering the max. It's completely understandable that they didn't want to pay.

However, when the player is an absolute key to your team winning, is 22 years old and a hometown kid with no injury history, you don't alienate them and treat them like you don't care to get them resigned just because it's over a few million dollars. You just don't do that, PERIOD, especially when you're already a playoff team. It leads to players feeling insulted and unappreciated by the organization, similar to Childress and JJ.

Sund resigned Reshard Lewis in Late September. He was also late in resigning Ray Allen. He's not going to resign anybody quickly.

He should be one and done. I don't want him handling the JJ and the Horf Negotiations.

• Premium Member
Well, whether Sund is a procrastinator or not....the bottom-line is that if the ASG came to him and said "Look, this guy is absolute priority to this franchise. Get him signed, NOW.", then Sund would sign him. I mean those would be his bosses speaking there, and that's what I would have expected out of them given how repeatedly they asserted the utmost priority of keeping the Hawks core together no matter the cost. Why that's changed, I have no idea. I don't think it's Sund though, as I don't believe he has that level of autonomy yet (if he ever will). I believe this emanates from the top, and that Sund is working with whatever he's been given to work with.

Could the whole plan have changed once BK left? Could these guys be THAT fricken crazy? I would really hope not, but like I say, nothing would surprise me when it comes to the Atlanta Spirit Group.

I think you need to reconsider that... When we hired Sund... this was what was said:

A decision has to be made on Mike Woodson. Decisions have to be made on Josh Smith, and Josh Childress, and a lineup that remains slightly mismatched. Decisions have to be made because this market appears eager to embrace this team, or is quite willing to go back to ignoring it.

“From my perspective, I’m thrilled,” owner Michael Gearon Jr. said. “The guy we hired was the most qualified and the most experienced general manager we could have hired. He’s really good at the things for where we need to be with the franchise. He can take this team and help us move to next level.”

If there was any question that ownership will let Sund runs things, Gearon somewhat doused that when he asked if hi new general manager will go through an evaluation process with Woodson: “I look forward to all questions related to the franchise and personnel being directed to him.”

It’s all in Rick Sund’s lap now. Things could be worse. Chris Grant — he would’ve been worse.

I think Sund is free to run the team as he sees fit and probably only answers to ASG about big money issues. I think BK had the same levity. I mean why go to fight over the power of GM to make deals and then hire Sund and make him answer to you about every little thing.

Sund will destroy this team.

The article

What I was saying was that the ASG wanted a guy that was comfortable with the way they operate, e.g., taking their sweet time to make decissions. Sund was a good fit for them because he wates players out to get the "best" deal for the owners.

I don't condone or even endorse this thinking, its really penny smart and pound foolish, esp. when it comes with dealing with people you are counting on to be loyal and productive.

As of today, I would say that the chances of Smith being a Hawk come the Fall are around 35 (staying)/65(leaving).

Actually it may be even less than that---

With Detroit singnign Kwame they have set themselves up to loose Amir without problem. I am beginning to think the SnT will happen by the end of the weekend.