• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

What $72 Million Gets You

thecampster

Before I start, it's been 4 years since I posted on this board (although i read it fairly religiously). A whatup to Dolfan and the guys. Long time no see.

OK so the Bobcats just payed 72 million over 6 years for Okafor. Here is his stat line and how it compares to Josh (I hope this shows right).

Cat---Okafor---Smooth

PPG----14.3-------17.2-----+2.9

RPG----10.8-------8.2------ -2.6

APG-----1.0-------3.4-------+2.4

Stl--------.8-------1.5-------+.7

Blk------2.0-------3.4-------+1.4

So except for rebounds, Josh is better, flat better all around. I don't wanna hear anyone complaining about them playing different positions....the stats are across the board better.

And I don't want to hear anyone make the excuse that Okafor was overpaid. There is no such thing as overpaid. You are paid exactly what the market will give you and it seems the going rate for 14.3 ppg, 10.8 boards, 1.0 assists, .8 steals, 2 blocks is 12 million per season....

The Josh Smith negotiation should be over by now....if he'll take 12 mil per, then we are getting a deal by league standards. Okafor is the new 12mil per bar that is set.

But incase anyone has any question at this point, let's put up the interesting stats on Josh.

In the league he was

2nd in blocks,

16th in Steals,

26th in Rebounds,

44th in ppg,

48th in assists .

Remember this is a 30 team league. Top 60 is considered a top 2 performer per team in any category. And per nba.com he is the 21st highest rated fantasy player (by statistics) and the has the 35th highest efficiency per 48 minutes number in the league.

Yes people...he is this good and put up these stats last year without having a legit point guard on the team for the first 50+ games. Attention to the ASG....sign him now, period.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why people want to get rid of this guy confuses the hell out of me.

It confuses me 2 lol, don't get me wrong I love Al, but there is absolutely no way in hell we should give up on a future superstar just to move AL to PF... THE ASG needs to stop being so damn cheap and resign the kid...

It confuses me 2 lol, don't get me wrong I love Al, but there is absolutely no way in hell we should give up on a future superstar just to move AL to PF... THE ASG needs to stop being so damn cheap and resign the kid...

Exactly because Okafor isn't a center either. Dude was like 6'8 without shoes. He and Smoove are basically the same size.

And just to make another comparison to another well known small forward.

Here is the stat line for Scottie Pippen his 4th year in the league (when he was 25/26 and had the benefit of college).

Cat---Pippen---Smooth

PPG----17.8-------17.2----- -.6

RPG----7.3-------8.2------ +.9

APG-----6.2-------3.4------- -2.8

Stl-------2.4-------1.5------- - .9

Blk------1.1-------3.4-------+2.3

I don't think anyone realizes how similar the stats are. Josh just gets blocks where pippen gets assists. but besides that they are virtual stat twins. I don't think anyone in the NBA if confronted with the opportunity to sign Scottie Pippen entering his prime today would bat an eye at signing him for 12mil per season.

You missed a rather important one.

Cat---Okafor---Smooth

FG%----53.4--------45.7---- -7.7

If Smith would simply stay inside where he shoots 60% instead of outside where he shoots 30% he'd likely be paid handsomely by now. It wouldn't surprise me if the $ .10 head on top of that $100 million body is what scares GM's off.

Since we are talking about stats Josh had a triple double this year. Not alot of players in this league that can do that.

I remember that game and people were complaining about some BS and I had to point out that he just had a triple double. Quick to jump on little crap but ignore the good things.

The whole price/value thing is like you stated insignificant. The cap/luxury limit goes up every year by like 1.5m so give or take a mil per year for someone like josh isnt a big deal. Its alot more important for players in the Childress category, 4-8m per price range.

But then again, scottie pippen shot 52% from the field...

You missed a rather important one.

Cat---Okafor---Smooth

FG%----53.4--------45.7---- -7.7

If Smith would simply stay inside where he shoots 60% instead of outside where he shoots 30% he'd likely be paid handsomely by now. It wouldn't surprise me if the $ .10 head on top of that $100 million body is what scares GM's off.

Scheme brother. I can't fault him for running the play as it's drawn up.

There are 5 players on the floor in the NBA. Roughly half the plays lead to isolation and the other half are 2/3 man games. Only when the play breaks down do the other 2 players get involved. The isolation plays are typically 2 kinds, wing and post.

In the wing, space is cleared out for typically the shooting guard or small forward to create a shot on their own by driving or the 2nd option, if the defense has drawn to the driving wing player rotate out to the point guard who either shoots from range or rotates to weak side of the defense that has been cleared by the wing. In the post, typically the power forward/center tries to isolate his defender. If left alone, he backs him in for a post move attempt. 1 wing and the weak side post are given put back duty on a miss. the other wing and point are given stop duty on a rebound and outlet pass. If the defense rotates to give help in the post, the post finds the point or wing who either make rotate or shoot choices.

in the 2/3 man games, the ball is moved between 2-3 players with motion (see, pick and roll or triangle for examples). 2 of those players have to have handles and one has to be a post that can catch pass out of the post. In this scenario, smith had to assume one of the handles players as we have been guard deficiant for years.

In both systems it is utilization and system that is keeping smooth from the basket on many plays. This is the price paid for being a tweener.

This is why Claxton being a sorry excuse for a doorstop has killed us. He was signed and brought in to try to add another guard/wing option. We needed more handles and he was and I expect him to continue to be an epic fail.

Look at the statistical difference in Josh after Bibby showed up in FG%. Feb, 48.2%, March 49.8%, April, 46.4%.

And now before the bibby trade. Nov 37.4, Dec 44.9, Jan 47.5.

Josh was playing within the scheme as he was being utilized by the coach due to poor player personnel decisions.

Pippen was a much better player on both ends of the floor. You can compare Smith and Okafor, but stay away from Pippen.

Yeah that is definitely not apples/apples.

Man HIgh5 I keep thinking you are Exodus with the identical avatars.

Pippen was a much better player on both ends of the floor. You can compare Smith and Okafor, but stay away from Pippen.

As far as Pippen goes, I was comparing year 4 Pippen to year 4 Josh. And stat wise it's an almost dead on comparison. And year 4 Josh is 3.5 years younger than year 4 Pippen.

As far as Pippen goes, I was comparing year 4 Pippen to year 4 Josh. And stat wise it's an almost dead on comparison. And year 4 Josh is 3.5 years younger than year 4 Pippen.

Pippen's impact went well beyond the stat sheet. I'd say Smith's stats make him look better than he is.

Because this is Atlanta. The biggest joke of a sports city in the nation.

Fickle fans, incompetent ownerhip, etc.

Re-signing Josh Smith would make too much sense.

glad I saw your tag....prompted me to go get another one.

Cat----Deng----Smooth

PPG----17.0-------17.2----- +.2

RPG----6.3-------8.2------ +1.9

APG-----2.5-------3.4------- +.9

Stl-------.9-------1.5------- +.6

Blk------.46-------3.4-------+2.94

FG%----47.9------.45.7----- -2.2%

And Deng got 6 years, 70 million. To quote the 2 live stu's.. "Come on Man"

Edited by thecampster

Exactly because Okafor isn't a center either. Dude was like 6'8 without shoes. He and Smoove are basically the same size.

No they aren't. Okafor is 2.75" taller, his standing reach is 4" higher and he weighs 20 pounds more than Smith.

measurements

He can definitely play center although he is better splitting his time between the 4 and 5.

Having said that i am fine with Smith getting 6 years $72 million.