• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Is Prince Or Howard The Better Wing Compliment Next To Jj ?

coachx

Not because he's a great offensive player. It's because..and I quote (though I forgot who I'm quoting) "Tayshaun Prince can defend 4 positions, from the 1 to the 4"

The Olympic committee has gone away from throwing all the best NBA players together and giving them Team USA jerseys. This time around they focused on building a team, and Tayshaun's defensive ability is a great commodity. With that said, once Smith leaves we'll need a 2nd scorer more than we need a defensive stopper.

Edited by EazyRoc

Yeah give me Josh Howard and Brandon Bass for Smoove (if it comes to that which I hope not) 10 out of 10.

Dallas would be pretty good next year (past that IDK cause Kidd is so old)

Kidd

?

Stack

Smoove

Nowitzki

I'm having trouble remembering a few of their players-who is the SG after Howard?

I'm sorry man. I just don't see why people are raving over Amir Johnson. If we get him, he definitely would be fighting with Randolph Morris for a spot in the rotation. He isn't good enough to start and is always in foul trouble. It could be a few years before he is skilled enough to earn starter's minutes. Brandon Bass is WAY more skilled than Amir Johnson, and is fairly athletic. If we were to give him 30 minutes a game, I could see him averaged 12/8, which is great from a backup PF. Amir Johnson might foul out with 30 minutes a game. We don't need another project center that we've got to wait to develop (we've got Morris), but we do need a backup PF in a situation where Smith gets traded.

Johnson has some potential to be a starter. I have no idea if he'll reach it or not. Collecting 7' guys is generally a good idea though. Bass is just another 6'8" bench PF.

The question for me is how does this team workout with both trades? I just think the Prince/Johnson trade provides better depth for the Hawks than the Howard/Bass does. I can see the argument for Howard, but I don't see it as better than the Prince one.

The way I am thinking about all of this is that if Gearon does trade Smith, then they had damned well better move Horford to PF. That's the only scenario that makes any sense for pushing Smith out the door. Horf at PF might give him the edge he needs to improve his offense.

In all, trading Smith is just dumb, but if they do it, then they need to maximize the talent they have. That means giving the starting PF to Hoford and finding some three-headed combo to fill the C role. I like Johnson/Zaza/Morris better than Zaza/Morris/Bass.

In comparing Bass vs. Amir, I'm going on only a few things (since I haven't seen much of either of them).

(1) Amir is supposed to be close to 6'11, while Bass is 6'8.

(2) Amir has posted PER's of 20, 20, and 17 in his first 3 season, while Bass has posted PER's of 9, 7, and 15.

(3) Amir is 21, Bass is 24.

(4) Hollinger has a much more positive report on Amir than on Bass:

Amir Johnson:

2006-07 season: Johnson wins the title of Best Prospect Nobody Has Seen Play. Johnson hardly got on the court for the Pistons, but put up some monstrous numbers in the D-League. In 22 games for Sioux Falls, he averaged 18.3 points, 9.7 boards, and 3.1 blocks while shooting 62.3 percent from the field. He opened eyes in the final game of the regular season when he had 20 points and 12 rebounds against Boston.

His career numbers are really strong, too: In 164 NBA minutes he's shot 58.1 percent from the floor, blocked 15 shots and made 15 of 18 attempts from the line. Only Alonzo Mourning had a better rate of blocks per minute last year. He's still only 20 years old, as he turned pro directly out of high school and was a second-round pick by Detroit in 2005.

Scouting report: A diamond in the rough by all accounts, Johnson is still listed at 6-9 but reportedly has grown since turning pro and now is closer to 6-11. He still needs to add muscle to go with his length, but his numbers from the D-League and his limited pro action indicate his tremendous potential both as a shot-blocker and a finisher around the basket.

Unusually for a player of this type, it also appears he can shoot a little -- at the very least he'll make his foul shots. One red flag from the D-League was that he made over three turnovers a game; he'll have to cut that considerably to break into Detroit's rotation.

2007-08 outlook: Johnson signed a three-year, $11 million deal to stay with Detroit, and he could be a wild card who allows the Pistons to stay on top of the Central Division. Suffice it to say he won't be riding buses around South Dakota this year -- he's no longer eligible, actually, as a third-year player. With Chris Webber and Dale Davis departing, the plan is to plug Johnson in to the frontcourt rotation and see if his athleticism can help energize the Pistons' second unit.

Brandon Bass:

2006-07 season: : Bass got a few opportunities early in the season, didn't do much with them, and then wilted on the bench in the second half, playing a grand total of 34 minutes after the All-Star break. Not that he made much of a case for himself. Bass put up a single-digit Player Efficiency Rating for the second straight year and shot 34.1 percent from the floor.

Scouting report: : An undersized power forward at 6-8, Bass has yet to show he has enough skill or athleticism to make up for his height disadvantage. While he's solidly built and can handle the pounding inside -- in fact his rebound rates in both pro seasons have been quite good -- his offensive game is another story.

Bass prefers to play around the basket, but going up against longer opponents has severely impacted his accuracy. He's at 37.7 percent from the floor in his pro career; he'll need to get that closer to 50 if he's going to stick in the league.

2007-08 outlook: Bass got a lifeline when the Mavericks unexpectedly offered him a contract for this season, and with Devean George as his main competition it seems a strong preseason could earn him some minutes behind Dirk Nowitzki.

All that information is outdated.

Look at what both have done recently. Brandon Bass has A LOT more on his resume than Amir Johnson. He had an excellent showing in the playoffs (for a bench player). Besides, PER means nothing to me when the player it's being to applied to a player that can't get on the court and stay on the court. Age doesn't mean much, because it's not like either player is going to be a franchise player. I'd rather have a player who can contribute NOW, than a foul-prone, raw athlete who won't be able to contribute more than players like ZaZa or even Morris.

Edited by EazyRoc

but we do need a backup PF in a situation where Smith gets traded.

If a backup PF is what your after Detroit has Maxielle who they would trade. Maxielle and Bass are both the same type of PF. Maxielle maybe has more shot blocking. Both have that high energy that is great to bring off the bench.

To me the trade should depend on who you like the most out of Prince and Howard b/c Maxielle and Bass cancel each other out and Amir Johnson is no more proven then Solo. To say I do this deal b/c of "Amir Johnson" is a bit of a stretch. The kid has done nothing.