• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

James White To Hawks?

TruJerz

I have a system for converting Euroleague performance to NBA performance, one that's been uncanny in its accuracy in previous seasons. For instance, a year ago I projected a PER of 7.36 for Marco Belinelli, 15.16 for Juan Carlos Navarro and 16.27 for Luis Scola. The actual numbers were 8.23, 11.90 and 16.18, with only Navarro deviating from his projection. Previous seasons have shown similar accuracy.

The reason this works is that there's a predictable relationship between a player's stats in the Euroleague -- the highest level of European basketball -- and what they'll be in the NBA. Crossing the Atlantic does the following to a player's results:

• Scoring rate decreases 25 percent

• Rebound rate increases by 18 percent (there are more missed shots in NBA play)

• Assist rate increases by 31 percent (Euro scorers are tightwads with assists)

• Shooting percentage drops by 12 percent

• Overall, PER drops by 30 percent.

dont know how accurate this is, thanx for Big three at another site for posting it.

he's not our solution for anything but it would be great pick up. nothing to big but still a good pick up. If he can come off the bench get 5pts,3boards,run the fast break,give the starters a breather, pump up the fans/players with some big dunks, ill be happy.

Edited by Jammin29

This is a few years old, but very telling. If the light bulb has come on from playing in Europe, he could be very interesting role player. Like what they say about his defense.

Weaknesses

After five years in college, the light bulb still hasn’t fully come on for White, and there are serious question marks over whether it ever will. He gets into extended funks at times that can last for an entire game at best or a few weeks at worst, and has a tendency to become very passive when things get tough. During these stretches he would fail to assert himself in his team’s offense even when they need him to most, passing up wide open shots or settling for terrible ones, committing dumb fouls and generally displaying poor body language. Both his mental and physical toughness have been questioned repeatedly over the past few years.

Offensively, there is little doubt that White is an incredible athlete, but for someone with his set of tools, he really doesn’t use them nearly as much as he should. His slashing game is the part of his game that is most improvable, due to what you’d think he’d possess in terms of an incredible first step. White is not the most fluid player around, being a little bit too upright when handling the ball, and he lacks the body control needed to be able to slash to the basket efficiently through traffic. For all of his ridiculous athleticism, it’s hard to think of too many instances where he made a highlight reel play in a halfcourt set. He certainly lacks polish in terms of creating separation from his defender, whether it’s with advanced ball-handling moves or pulling up sharply off the dribble from mid-range. His decision making in general could use some work, as well as his shot selection. White is a pretty good outside shooter right now but is still prone to bouts of streakiness. Adding range to his shot is a priority, and becoming more versatile in terms of being able to consistently knockdown shots off the dribble would help.

Defensively he has great potential as mentioned, but seems to lack a bit of focus at times and will not apply himself to stopping his man as much as you’d hope on a consistent basis.

Edited by DrReality

Good to see someone work in some Marvin hate into a thread that has nothing to do with Marvin.

Dolf,

You are right I need to go to a dumping on Marvin AA meeting. I actually saw a guy in Home Depot wearing a Marvin Williams jersey and it took all my inner strength to not ask him what the hell was wrong with him.

I just can't get over it, I hate Marvins lack of game! It's all I think about all day long. I need counseling.

Hawk88

dont know how accurate this is, thanx for Big three at another site for posting it.

he's not our solution for anything but it would be great pick up. nothing to big but still a good pick up. If he can come off the bench get 5pts,3boards,run the fast break,give the starters a breather, pump up the fans/players with some big dunks, ill be happy.

Mario can do the same thing. He won the slam dunk contest in college. He can get some easy buckets and he rebounds well. Can handle the ball if needed too.

James White is a much better shooter though.

and he's not in the NBA. put two and two together. Gerald Green would me somebodies 6th man if that were the case. Some players just don't get it, not saying that guy doesn't because I don't know enough about him but that's just what it is.

Weaknesses

He gets into extended funks at times that can last for an entire game at best or a few weeks at worst, and has a tendency to become very passive when things get tough. During these stretches he would fail to assert himself in his team’s offense even when they need him to most, passing up wide open shots or settling for terrible ones, committing dumb fouls and generally displaying poor body language. Both his mental and physical toughness have been questioned repeatedly over the past few years.

Defensively he has great potential as mentioned, but seems to lack a bit of focus at times and will not apply himself to stopping his man as much as you’d hope on a consistent basis.

Come on guys, didn't you hear Dolf? Stop bringing up MW in this thread. :cool: