08-09 College Football

Swish

Maybe this has been covered, but I haven't seen it. Who does everyone like nationally, and why, and who do you like in the SEC and ACC? I personally have grown up bleeding Tennessee orange, being that I originated there, lived in Atlanta for 14 years and am now back to Vol country, so ignore my bias :).

Nationally...I like Mizzou and Georgia. Chase Daniel could be the best QB in the country (Tebow overrated IMO). Stafford/Moreno is the best 1-2 punch in the nation. For me, it goes way down past these two teams. I end my nightly prayers with begging not to see Ohio State against an SEC team in the national title game this year lol. Seriously, if it ends up being OSU-Georgia...my gosh. OSU should probably just throw in the towel at that point. Destroyed by UF and LSU--both of whom aren't as talented as the 08 Dawgs.

In the ACC...after watching Clemson get destroyed, I'm in limbo. GT is a sleeper, but likely will be bowling in Idaho or whatever. I'm thinking :

1.Wake Forest

2. Clemson

3. Ga Tech

4. Va Tech

Or something like that.

In the SEC I like Georgia, Auburn, LSU, Tennessee, and Florida in that order. The media seems to think for Florida Tebow and Harvin will just solve everything...I'm not so convinced. LSU will have QB problems. The thing for UT is; our RB is 700 yards from the all time UT record...He's slow--but he has the stuff. The big reason for last season's "success" is that our offensive line gave up FOUR sacks. Yeah, FOUR. Ridiculous.

What y'all think about this year?

I agree. AU is a real sleeper. I think their QB and star receiver stayed. They added a lot of good freshmen, and they have Nick Saban as a coach. I don't think they got a chance at the BCS, but they could ruin someone else's chance at the BCS.

I personally have grown up bleeding Tennessee orange

I knew there was something wrong with you, Swish. JK. My best friend went to Tenn and lives there. I like how you dismiss the Tide. Cute. I'm a Bama fan. Finally off probation, and with a defensive guru at the helm, they are ready to shine. Keep in mind, every game they lost last year was by a touchdown or less. They surrendered two late scores to LSU to lose. They have a senior qb and will be in the mix. And do I have to remind you of what they did to the Vols last year?

Tebow ain't overrated. I haven't played real football in 15 years and I could tackle Chase Daniel tomorrow. Tebow is a beast. Absolutely huge. He runs downhill, as they say. He does have mechanical flaws with his throwing motion, but I hear they've worked on that a lot. Seriously though, 49 touchdowns. He's good, man.

lol...us UT fans do have a bad rap don't we.

I iwasn't dissing Bama dude, though I love to; I included them in championship candidates.

Yeah, Tebow is good...but I just don't think he is all that.

Please don't remind me what you did to us last year I'm still sick from it.

HOWEVER, will you kindly remind me who was SEC East champs? Thanks.

I agree. AU is a real sleeper. I think their QB and star receiver stayed. They added a lot of good freshmen, and they have Nick Saban as a coach. I don't think they got a chance at the BCS, but they could ruin someone else's chance at the BCS.

Whoa, Eazy! That's pretty insulting. AU is Auburn. It's UA. The University of Alabama. They do have a senior qb. They added the #1 receiver in the country in Julio Jones, as well. They've been on probation for roughly 7 years. Maybe that's why you don't know they have 12 National Titles. They are arguably the most accomplished football program in college history. Very proud tradition. Don't count them out just yet.

lol...us UT fans do have a bad rap don't we.

I iwasn't dissing Bama dude, though I love to; I included them in championship candidates.

Yeah, Tebow is good...but I just don't think he is all that.

Please don't remind me what you did to us last year I'm still sick from it.

HOWEVER, will you kindly remind me who was SEC East champs? Thanks.

That rap isn't as bad as the Bama one. Field Goal Phil has had death threats in Alabama. And we all remember the brick through Bill Curry's window. He went 29-12, I think, but... he lost three straight to Auburn.

It's sad. I've grown to really respect the Tennessee program over the years. They've been playing the type of smash mouth football that I'm glad Bama is returning to.

I was at a cookout. What happened with you guys tonight?

Whoa, Eazy! That's pretty insulting. AU is Auburn. It's UA. The University of Alabama. They do have a senior qb. They added the #1 receiver in the country in Julio Jones, as well. They've been on probation for roughly 7 years. Maybe that's why you don't know they have 12 National Titles. They are arguably the most accomplished football program in college history. Very proud tradition. Don't count them out just yet.

Haha! My bad. I've got a friend who's a big UA fan (In fact, I believe he was on a scholarship as a RB about 7 or so years ago), and he'd probably kill me for calling them AU. Their offense is going to be very potent with Jones and Hall on opposite sides. They just don't have right mixture of talent and experience most BCS teams have. I'm rooting for them as my SEC team, but I'll be surprised if they make it to the big one.

ARRRGHHHH! :brick wall: Why do I continually subject myself to cardiac arrest and heartbreak year after year!??!?!?!

27-24 UCLA in OT!!!! F Neuheisel. And F Fat Phil Fulmer. Time to can the pumpkin. (typical knee jerk reaction, I know)

DAMN, DAMN, DAMN!!!!! :angry22: :angry22: :angry22: :angry22:

I'm recovering from a nasty sinus infection over the weekend and last night's performance by the Vols surely didn't help things (my headache got even worse and by the end of the game, I was kicking my kids' toys across the living room in fits of disgust).

How come I could see Lincoln shanking that FG from hundreds of miles away? How come I could I also see UCLA's QB transforming into Dan Marino after halftime when we had opportunities time and time again to put the game away?

That's why I've never, EVER had a problem with hanging 50+ on an opponent when you get the chance. When you get the other team down and they're ready to quit, its your duty to drop the hammer and break their will. Otherwise, you get...

UCLA 27, Tennessee 24.

With the Bataan Death March we have to get through early into the season (UF, Auburn, UGA, Bama), things aren't looking good in Big Orange Country, that's for sure....

Your right, UT had plenty of opportunities to end that game. But they didn't ease up, they just couldn't get out of their own way. Fumbling on the 5, going backwards on a drive that starts on the opponent's 25 yard line, jumping off sides on a long field goal attempt, jumping offsides when an opponent is backed up to their own 1 inch line.

Granted, I hate Tenn, but I always pull SEC in out of conference games. They fought hard at the end, but it could've been over in the 3rd.

Ugh.

Edited by jhay610

ARRRGHHHH! :brick wall: Why do I continually subject myself to cardiac arrest and heartbreak year after year!??!?!?!

27-24 UCLA in OT!!!! F Neuheisel. And F Fat Phil Fulmer. Time to can the pumpkin. (typical knee jerk reaction, I know)

HA-HA! If we would have never lost to yall Uga would have probably won the BCS Championship. You guys fail once again!

HA-HA! If we would have never lost to yall Uga would have probably won the BCS Championship. You guys fail once again!

No doubt. Yet and still, Tennessee still finds a way to lose a shoe almost every October....because its firmly implanted up UGA's tail.....