• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

I was wrong about Matt Ryan

CBAreject

Hey, I can admit when I'm wrong, and I was wrong about Matt Ryan. I might not have been in the "bust" camp. I just thought we probably overdrafted a guy who was probably the 10th to 15th best player in the draft. I said we should've taken Glenn Dorsey, which was a popular view.

I was wrong. Matt Ryan was the perfect pick for this team, and if we'd traded down and missed out, it would've been the biggest mistake we'd made since trading Brett Favre.

Matt Ryan is a league-average QB in the NFL after his first half season. That's very good for a rookie, and he improves week-to-week. His flawless game against Oakland was incredible. Yes, Oakland is a bad team, but they have stud DB's. Secondary play is their strongsuit, and Ryan abused them.

The question on Ryan is how good is he going to be? We've paid him like he's a top-5 QB, and I thought that was a mistake. It looks like in time, he'll play at that level. I predict he'll play the rest of this season like a top-10 QB, and he'll be at the cusp of the top-5 passers by year 3. He'll be behind Brady, Romo, Rivers, and Brees, but I think he's going to be right there competing for a pro-bowl reserve spot with Rodgers.

I am with you on this, and I couldn't be happier to be wrong.

Ryan's limited TOs have wildly exceeded my expectations.

Who knew he would come into the NFL and actually throw fewer picks than he did his senior year? He has been a good game manager so far and has shown the capacity to beat teams if they sell out to stop the run. I think the coaching staff should also get some credit for bringing him along at the right speed.

I thought he would be a solid QB but figured he was a reach at 3. Also hated the big-time contract before he ever played a down of NFL football. Looks like the Birds got this one right though. Given what we've seen thus far it would be a disappointment if Ryan were not a top 5 QB a few years down the road.

Edited by jhay610

Put me in the glad to be wrong camp as well. I too was a Dorsey guy, but Ryan is simply amazing for a rookie QB.

There are some throws he's making that I thought were mistake throws, but he makes them every game and completes them. That pass he makes to the slot guy splitting the zone is simply the hardest pass to make in the NFL and he's completed one in the last 3 games.

I have seen some critisism of his accuracy (completing 58% of passes), but how much is that on the number of drops from the receivers? In the first 4 games the receivers were awful. They are getting better, but there are still too many drops.

Put me in the glad to be wrong camp as well. I too was a Dorsey guy, but Ryan is simply amazing for a rookie QB.

There are some throws he's making that I thought were mistake throws, but he makes them every game and completes them. That pass he makes to the slot guy splitting the zone is simply the hardest pass to make in the NFL and he's completed one in the last 3 games.

I have seen some critisism of his accuracy (completing 58% of passes), but how much is that on the number of drops from the receivers? In the first 4 games the receivers were awful. They are getting better, but there are still too many drops.

I'm not concerned about his completion rate. 58% is pretty good for a QB in a run-oriented offense (esp a 1st year QB with a mediocre receiving corp). When you run a pass-oriented offense, like the west coast, you need 65%. The reason for this is that the pass routes are longer in a run-first offense and thus lower percentage. These things have to be considered when evaluating a QB. The YPC for Roddy and Jenkins are very high. Also, Ryan's comp% has come up. It was closer to 50% after a rough early start. I'd like to see him complete over 60%, but our receiver corp isn't elite, so that might not happen this year. What's more important in our offense than comp% is interception rate, and that's been excellent. With the top running game in the league, Ryan needs to just stretch the D and prevent turnovers. Chandler did that when Jam was our star, and it got us to the superbowl.

I was wrong too, thought Ryan would be solid in a year or two and Dorsey would be a can't miss prospect. Ryan is, at worst, solid today and looks like he could be a truly special QB - the type that you take at 1 and thank your lucky stars you had the opportunity to draft. My biggest regret this season is the way that Chi game ended, partially because a W would help us in the standings but partially because wanted to see the Ryan-Roddy connection in the two minute drill.

• Moderators
My biggest regret this season is the way that Chi game ended, partially because a W would help us in the standings but partially because wanted to see the Ryan-Roddy connection in the two minute drill.

The 11 second drill in the Chi game was a fantastic ending, IMO. Are you talking about the Philly game?

I've really been impressed with the national sports figures who have really spoken highly of him. It's really nice for him to get that recognition and along with him the Falcon's getting their due.

Heard Smith on the radio and he is such a treat to listen to. There is no hype or slick talk but down to earth hard nosed football. Really gives a sense of confidence.

I've really been impressed with the national sports figures who have really spoken highly of him. It's really nice for him to get that recognition and along with him the Falcon's getting their due.

Heard Smith on the radio and he is such a treat to listen to. There is no hype or slick talk but down to earth hard nosed football. Really gives a sense of confidence.

What will the national media do when they can no longer make fun of the Falcons and Hawks?

As to the original topic I was just as wrong about Ryan as anyone. He's been incredibly impressive. I always knew that he had that "it" factor but I'm shocked that his decision making has been so good so quick and that he's been able to make all the throws that he's needed. I'm definitely happy that the Falcons got a good one with their pick and I look forward to a few years from now when the Dolphins and Falcons meet in the Super Bowl (and the Dolphins win of course!)

• 1 year later...

He's a good QB but I think we are given him much too much power before really earning it. He should not be changing (or checking, as they call it now) the plays EVERY snap or even gimmicking like he is. Get the call from the coach and run the play. His interceptions went up dramatically last year and I think it had a lot to do with this added responsibility of being Peyton Manning-lyte. Plus his audibles to run are usually poor, at best... we hardly ever even get through the line when he changes to running plays