• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Braves and Jake Peavy

Admin

Are the Yankees looking to sign Ben Sheets as well, Dolfan? I thought I read a rumor about that.

They are talking about Sheets if they can't get Pettite back for a reasonable deal. They are only looking at a 1-2 year deal for the final pitcher that they sign. It appears that Sheets is going to have to sign a short term deal but I'm not sure if I'd rather have him or Pettite.

Typical response for somone who makes excuses for losing. What have the Braves done the last three or four years? Let's see. definitely not in the playoffs. Started trading prospects for one year rental players i.e Texierra (sp) and dried up has been pitchers (Glavine).

Make all the excuses you can come up with for this now cheap ass organization.

A winner doesn't need excuses because they go out and do what it takes to be a winner.

If you can't play with the big boys then just admit it. Just don't expect season ticket holders to pay the big bucks for being mediocre.

typical response for anyone who unreasonably expects their team to drop coin like the yankees.

btw, i'm not making excuses for what the braves are doing, they've done things differently than i would've, but i'm just saying i'm not going to fault them for not WAY overspending on a guy like burnett the way the yankees did. just because they signed him and the braves didn't doesn't mean jack. the yanks and the mets have spent major bucks on big free agents the past number of years, and i don't see them having any ring ceremonies. even the bosox who have spent big money hasn't let the free agency frenzy get the best of them. they're getting younger and promoting from within (goodbye manny and hello pedroia).

the marlins, the rays, the a's, and the twins have all shown how you can build a winners on a budget with a few timely free agent pick ups and trades. not to say that the braves and wren are skilled enough to do what those teams do, but i'm not gonna bust their chops for not signing burnett. or trading the whole farm for peavy, either. i hope they get him, but not for the 4 players the padres wanted (particularly hansen).

if you've been a fan for 30 years, then you should know they will be up and down over all that time (like every team). and no, these aren't as bad as the 80's teams, so if you could live through that time and still root for them, then i would think that the team now wouldn't look so bad.

• Moderators
They are talking about Sheets if they can't get Pettite back for a reasonable deal. They are only looking at a 1-2 year deal for the final pitcher that they sign. It appears that Sheets is going to have to sign a short term deal but I'm not sure if I'd rather have him or Pettite.

CC, Burnett, and Sheets would be a hugely high risk/reward staff. Frankly, they would probably be happy to get two of those guys really panning out at any given time.

Sheets is very good when healthy. I think he would be a good short-term signing for the Yankees.

CC, Burnett, and Sheets would be a hugely high risk/reward staff. Frankly, they would probably be happy to get two of those guys really panning out at any given time.

Sheets is very good when healthy. I think he would be a good short-term signing for the Yankees.

Yeah they could really be a heck of a group when added to Chien Ming Wang and Joba Chamberlain if two of those FA signings pan out.

I'm definitely a fan of Sheets, he has tremendous talent, but I'm not sure that he's more valuable than Pettite would be. On a short term deal though Sheets could turn out to be a steal as long as he's not asking for too much money.

• Moderators

I would be a bit concerned with Pettite's age at this point. He was awful July - September last year. Post-All-Star break last season, he had a 5.35 ERA and 1.53 WHIP. That is just brutal.

Look at Sheets versus Pettite and I would definitely go for Sheets:

Pre-All-Star Break

Pettite 4.03 ERA, 1.34 WHIP, 91K

Sheets 2.85 ERA, 1.11 WHIP, 108K

Post-All-Star Break

Pettite 5.35 ERA, 1.53 WHIP, 67K

Sheets 3.46 ERA, 1.21 WHIP, 50K

I would be a bit concerned with Pettite's age at this point. He was awful July - September last year. Post-All-Star break last season, he had a 5.35 ERA and 1.53 WHIP. That is just brutal.

Look at Sheets versus Pettite and I would definitely go for Sheets:

Pre-All-Star Break

Pettite 4.03 ERA, 1.34 WHIP, 91K

Sheets 2.85 ERA, 1.11 WHIP, 108K

Post-All-Star Break

Pettite 5.35 ERA, 1.53 WHIP, 67K

Sheets 3.46 ERA, 1.21 WHIP, 50K

Yes Pettite was awful but I'm not entirely sure it's because of his age or anything like that. The benefit with Pettite is that he is a lefty and one of the better defensive pitchers and he's still got a great pick-off move. Other than that Sheets is certainly the better pitcher and he's younger. The questions are can he stay healthy (big if) and how would he pitch in the American league. For the same contract I would probably go with Sheets but I imagine he'll make more with more years than Pettite can make.

• Moderators

Pettite is just too far past his prime for me. He isn't past the point of being able to contribute but there is too much ugliness.

Remember 2007 (and Pettite wasn't missing time to explain these)?

June

4.76 ERA, 1.38 WHIP

July

6.96 ERA, 1.82 WHIP

September

5.86 ERA, 1.67 WHIP

Just to roar up the Jake Peavy fire again, it appears the Braves are getting set to sign Rafael Furcal. That would probably mean that either Escobar or K. Johnson are going to be on the move.

If it's Escobar, it's probably for Peavy since he was mentioned in previous talks.

If it's Kelly, maybe Kelly, Frenchy, and a pitcher to the Royals for Grienke and J. Guillen.

Just to roar up the Jake Peavy fire again, it appears the Braves are getting set to sign Rafael Furcal. That would probably mean that either Escobar or K. Johnson are going to be on the move.

If it's Escobar, it's probably for Peavy since he was mentioned in previous talks.

If it's Kelly, maybe Kelly, Frenchy, and a pitcher to the Royals for Grienke and J. Guillen.

I wouldn't be surprised if Furcal passes his physical today, and tomorrow the trade is announced. I agree that the trade is probably for either Grienke or Peavy, but there is also a possible Pirates deal that is being passed around. I think it was for Pat Maholm. I sort of like that deal as Maholm is a lefty, had a 3.71 ERA in 206 innings. The W/L isn't great, but he played for the Pirates.