• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Wow Plaxico is in major trouble over unlawful gun posession

Admin

I don't really like or dislike Burress but if it's true that he didn't have license to carry to carry a concealed weapon then I hope that him being a star athlete doesn't get him out of this mess. If he's guilty then I really hope he gets his 3.5 years just like anyone else is required to get. Thoughts?

---------

We explained earlier tonight that, if Giants receiver Plaxico Burress didn’t have a valid license to carry a concealed weapon in New York City, he is facing a mandatory jail term of 3.5 years in prison.

Per the New York Post, Burress does not have a valid New York permit. His Florida permit expired in May 2008.

Though the Post characterizes Plaxico’s maximum criminal liability as one year in jail, mayor Michael Bloomberg made it clear in 2007 that illegal possession of a firearm in New York City results in a much stiffer penalty.

“Last year, our Administration succeeded in pushing through a law that gives New York the toughest penalty in the country for carrying an illegal loaded handgun,” Bloomberg said in July 2007. “Now, if you are convicted, you will serve a minimum of 3-1/2 years behind bars — no exceptions.”

If the phrase “no exceptions” includes “pro football players who scored the winning touchdown in a Super Bowl for the New York Giants,” then Burress has a problem much bigger than the hole in his leg.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/11/29/...o-carry-permit/

This story makes no sense - gotta be more to it than what is currently out there.

Any fool who knows anything about handguns knows....if you are carrying a revolver you leave the chamber directly in front of the firing pin empty (makes a 6-shooter into a 5-shooter)...but it's a standard safety precaution so that if you drop it and it lands on the hammer it can't shoot you or another person close.

If you are carrying a semi-auto you just don't pull the slide until it's necessary...then there isn't a bullet in the chamber and it doesn't go off if you accidentally pull the trigger or not.

My guess is that he was carrying a semi-auto, and if he was carrying it cocked he's a total idiot. Still, I doubt that we are getting the straight story on this one. As a guy said on the SportsTalk radio...wtf? If you aren't bleeding to death just find a backstreet doctor to sew you up and prescribe some anti-biotics....beats 3.5 years in jail. :doh:

I got shot in a non-life-threatening spot when hunting as a youngster. They put me in the hospital and all - but all they really did was make sure there were two holes in the skin (to make sure the bullet wasn't still in there) - then put a small bandage over both holes and gave me some A/Bs to prevent infection...it's not rocket science.

Edited by DJlaysitup

I don't really like or dislike Burress but if it's true that he didn't have license to carry to carry a concealed weapon then I hope that him being a star athlete doesn't get him out of this mess.

This seems like one of those situations where money/fame/prestige will help him do exactly that ('get out of this mess').

I don't really like or dislike Burress but if it's true that he didn't have license to carry to carry a concealed weapon then I hope that him being a star athlete doesn't get him out of this mess. If he's guilty then I really hope he gets his 3.5 years just like anyone else is required to get. Thoughts?

Forgetting the stupidity that Dj alluded to, isn't it a bit troubling that you could go to prison for simply having a desire to be able defend yourself if need be? I don't agree with permits or gun laws in general. What if you get shot waiting for it? Seriously, there are a ton of things to talk about here.

Forgetting the stupidity that Dj alluded to, isn't it a bit troubling that you could go to prison for simply having a desire to be able defend yourself if need be? I don't agree with permits or gun laws in general. What if you get shot waiting for it? Seriously, there are a ton of things to talk about here.

I think it's a bit excessive to go to prison for 3.5 years for unlawful possession of a firearm ... BUT if that's what it takes to get criminals to think twice about carrying them then I think it's worth it. I definitely don't have a problem with making people get a license to carry a firearm either since they are every bit as dangerous as an automobile.

As far as getting shot waiting for it all I have to say is that if you don't put yourself in a dangerous position the likelihood of being shot is pretty damn low.

I think it's a bit excessive to go to prison for 3.5 years for unlawful possession of a firearm ... BUT if that's what it takes to get criminals to think twice about carrying them then I think it's worth it. I definitely don't have a problem with making people get a license to carry a firearm either since they are every bit as dangerous as an automobile.

As far as getting shot waiting for it all I have to say is that if you don't put yourself in a dangerous position the likelihood of being shot is pretty damn low.

Giants receiver Smith robbed at gunpoint outside home

ESPN.com news services

Updated: December 2, 2008, 7:02 PM ET

Comment

Email

Print

New York Giants second-year receiver Steve Smith was robbed at gunpoint in the early hours of Nov. 25 after arriving home, according to Clifton, N.J., police.

Smith had just returned to his townhouse in a chauffeur-driven car when he was approached from behind by man who held a gun to Smith's head, Clifton police Capt. Robert Rowan said.

"He said to him, 'Give me everything you got,' and Mr. Smith turned over his jewelry and money and cell phone," Rowan said Tuesday.

The man left the scene and is still being sought, Rowan said. It was unclear if Smith's driver was at the townhouse during the holdup.

The robbery was first reported Sunday by NBC's Tiki Barber, a former Giants running back.

NFL security has been informed of the incident, league spokesman Greg Aiello said, according to Newsday. "We're aware of the situation," he said.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Sounds like all he did was try to go home.

Edited by TroyMcClure

• Moderators

I'm not sure a gun would have helped Steve Smith in that situation. Someone behind you is holding a gun to your head...I suspect the Giants are glad he didn't try to whip his own gun out and shoot the guy holding the gun to his head.

Generally, I am in favor of reasonable permit/license requirements for guns.

3.5 years does seem excessive for a legally purchased gun.

I'm not sure a gun would have helped Steve Smith in that situation. Someone behind you is holding a gun to your head...I suspect the Giants are glad he didn't try to whip his own gun out and shoot the guy holding the gun to his head.

Generally, I am in favor of reasonable permit/license requirements for guns.

3.5 years does seem excessive for a legally purchased gun.

You are right, but I was only showing how you can come in close proximity to a life threatening situation. I personally don't carry a gun but I have no problem if everyone on the street is packing underneath. We're not addressing the underlying issue of why should you have to have a permit to conceal?

I think if you need a license to drive you should need a license to have a gun. Also, just like you can't drink and drive, I dont think you should be able to carry a gun where alcohol is served.

In this case, I think Burress should never get a gun license again. Anyone who is incompetent enough with one to shoot himself with it is too incompetent to defend himself with it.

Im also amazed that there are no penalties for any of the other players with him. You'd think that being out late friday before a key divisional match up would have raised some eyebrows, especially after helping a teammate conceal a legal incident.

---------

We explained earlier tonight that, if Giants receiver Plaxico Burress didn’t have a valid license to carry a concealed weapon in New York City, he is facing a mandatory jail term of 3.5 years in prison.

Per the New York Post, Burress does not have a valid New York permit. His Florida permit expired in May 2008.

Though the Post characterizes Plaxico’s maximum criminal liability as one year in jail, mayor Michael Bloomberg made it clear in 2007 that illegal possession of a firearm in New York City results in a much stiffer penalty.

“Last year, our Administration succeeded in pushing through a law that gives New York the toughest penalty in the country for carrying an illegal loaded handgun,” Bloomberg said in July 2007. “Now, if you are convicted, you will serve a minimum of 3-1/2 years behind bars — no exceptions.”

If the phrase “no exceptions” includes “pro football players who scored the winning touchdown in a Super Bowl for the New York Giants,” then Burress has a problem much bigger than the hole in his leg.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/11/29/...o-carry-permit/

this sucks. and as a Giants fan from NJ, im disappointed at Plax. this obviously hurts our chances of repeating big time..he is our best offensive player and one of the best WR too..i think we can still win but it will be very very hard..everyone has to step up

I'm not saying the gun should not be legal and registered. I'm saying he shouldn't have to "apply" to conceal one.

So should anyone be able to get behind the wheel of a car without needing a permit?

I'm a bit shocked to hear that you think anyone and everyone should be able to carry a concealed weapon whenever they want without needing to prove that they're competent which is basically what you're saying when you don't think a permit to do so is necessary.

So should anyone be able to get behind the wheel of a car without needing a permit?

I'm a bit shocked to hear that you think anyone and everyone should be able to carry a concealed weapon whenever they want without needing to prove that they're competent which is basically what you're saying when you don't think a permit to do so is necessary.

Some of you guys are missing my point. You have to prove competence at the time of purchase. There is no test for who and who isn't qualified to put a gun under their shirt or not. Your car analogy doesn't work. You can't "hide" your car.

Some of you guys are missing my point. You have to prove competence at the time of purchase. There is no test for who and who isn't qualified to put a gun under their shirt or not. Your car analogy doesn't work. You can't "hide" your car.

Do you have a concealed carry permit? If you do then you'd know that there is a rather in depth class that you have to attend which includes passing a written test and proving your ability to actually fire the gun. At least that's how it is in Texas.

The car analogy is as fitting as can be made here because you are advocating letting anyone that can get their hands on a gun to carry them in the streets concealed without any repercussions. Those people that are able to acquire a gun by non-legal means would not be taking a test to prove that they can handle the weapon.