• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Zaza #8 in Reb/48 min & #1 in Offensive Reb/48 min.

jerrywest2

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We've covered Zaza's offensive rebounding ad nauseum. A large % of them are off his own point blank misses.

I'm not "hating" on Zaza Pachulia but he is what he is, a $4 million backup Center

Zaza does rebound his own misses alot, but he also gets a lot of "legit" offensive boards. Regardless, that's not a reason to play him because he sucks at everything else.

Zaza does rebound his own misses alot, but he also gets a lot of "legit" offensive boards. Regardless, that's not a reason to play him because he sucks at everything else.

I agree. I'd much rather develop Solo. We really could use a heavy center to stand up to big centers. However, #1 is #1, tap or legit.

ZaZa is good defensive matchup against slower big guys like Shaq and good teammate. Brings positive energy.

But one thing I really don't like about him - his help defense. He usually leaves his guy open and either draws the foul on penetrating guy or lets him get easy assist.

And if he could jump, Smith wouldn't have sprained his ankle :wink: .

What a shocker! A praise Zaza thread almost immediately turns into a hate on Zaza thread.

As much as everyone rags on him, his defensive rebounding is above average for centers now. I remember a couple of months ago I predicted this [not an attack on exodus, its a general attack on Zaza haters of which exodus happens to be part of the group]:

After 21 games (1/4th of the season) let's check his defensive rebounding numbers and I believe you will see them around 8-9 rebounds per 48.

http://www.hawksquawk.net/community/index....mp;#entry347925

Those are roughly average defensive rebounding stats. And currently he is sitting with 8.8 defensive rebounds per 48:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/p/pachuza01.html

(Take per 36 number and multiply by (48/36) to convert to per 48 minutes). This is only through 15 games however, so by 21 we may see Zaza play an extreme amount of minutes and go reboundless to make my prediction wrong. I wouldn't bet against that since Zaza has maintained high defensive rebounding rates since last March.

Maybe the haters are going to say that he is only getting weak defensive rebounds? Who knows, but I do know for sure people will continue to hate.

What a shocker! A praise Zaza thread almost immediately turns into a hate on Zaza thread.

As much as everyone rags on him, his defensive rebounding is above average for centers now. I remember a couple of months ago I predicted this [not an attack on exodus, its a general attack on Zaza haters of which exodus happens to be part of the group]:

Those are roughly average defensive rebounding stats. And currently he is sitting with 8.8 defensive rebounds per 48:

(Take per 36 number and multiply by (48/36) to convert to per 48 minutes). This is only through 15 games however, so by 21 we may see Zaza play an extreme amount of minutes and go reboundless to make my prediction wrong. I wouldn't bet against that since Zaza has maintained high defensive rebounding rates since last March.

Maybe the haters are going to say that he is only getting weak defensive rebounds? Who knows, but I do know for sure people will continue to hate.

I'm not hating on his rebounding, I'm hating his entire game. He is a black hole on offense, the problem with that is that he sucks offensively. He is also one of the worst defenders in the league. At least a few times a night I see Zaza let a guy go right past him for a layup without even attempting to challenge. A few rebounds doesn't make up for that.

Zaza had two big rebounding games against teams whose starting centers were out. Other than those two games he hasn't done squat on the defensive glass.

Toronto has never been a good rebounding team and without JO they are a pushover on the boards. The Wizards were starting a rookie for the first time when Zaza had his big rebounding game. That is 35 rebounds right there in two games.

Against a team that actually has a front line that doesn't suck Zaza isn't going to get many defensive rebounds.

I don't think Zaza plays like a girl anymore.

His improvements in defensive rebounding has been just as shocking to me as Marvin's 3s. Actually, I always thought Marvin could become a good 3 pt shooter if he worked on it. I never thought Zaza would put enough efforts on defensive rebounding.

Zaza had two big rebounding games against teams whose starting centers were out. Other than those two games he hasn't done squat on the defensive glass.

Toronto has never been a good rebounding team and without JO they are a pushover on the boards. The Wizards were starting a rookie for the first time when Zaza had his big rebounding game. That is 35 rebounds right there in two games.

Against a team that actually has a front line that doesn't suck Zaza isn't going to get many defensive rebounds.

All I see is more hate, just as I predicted. Let's just forget he is playing with a bum shoulder huh? And let's also forget his "2 good games" because clearly in 15 games so far this season those are outliers! More excuses, blah blah blah blah.

All I see is more hate, just as I predicted. Let's just forget he is playing with a bum shoulder huh? And let's also forget his "2 good games" because clearly in 15 games so far this season those are outliers! More excuses, blah blah blah blah.

Have you ever stopped to think that maybe someone with a differing point of view might agree with the bolded context as well?

Have you ever stopped to think that maybe someone with a differing point of view might agree with the bolded context as well?

And what "excuse" am I saying? That Zaza is an above average rebounder this year and has been since March? I have statistics to back it up. Exodus has excuses to the facts that he continues to ramble off.

Thanks for the backhanded comment Teke, doesn't really surprise me when someone has a formulated opinion on Zaza that they will fail to change their stance when statistics are staring them right in the face.

And what "excuse" am I saying? That Zaza is an above average rebounder this year and has been since March? I have statistics to back it up. Exodus has excuses to the facts that he continues to ramble off.

Thanks for the backhanded comment Teke, doesn't really surprise me when someone has a formulated opinion on Zaza that they will fail to change their stance when statistics are staring them right in the face.

I watch the games. Zaza is just short of garbage 80% of the time he's in there.

We've given you our opinions, and that's what they simply are opinions. Feel free to disagree, however so far you've been playing the "you're not a real fan" card.

Zaza's statistics say he's a good offensive rebounder, however as we've said we'd prefer him to be a better scorer as opposed to offensive rebounder having hit those 2 footers he has a penchant for missing and rebounding to begin with.

You can twist statistics around. When you watch the games your eyes don't lie. Zaza's had his moments this year but the Hawks are better off when he's not on the floor generally speaking.

Zaza Pachulia didn't dump my sister. I've got nothing against the man personally. No need to use the word "hate"

We've given you our opinions, and that's what they simply are opinions. Feel free to disagree, however so far you've been playing the "you're not a real fan" card.

I am not using that card, I know that everyone participating on Hawksquawk is a fan (someone will make a Hotlanta reference but he is still a fan). There is a reason people sign up for Hawksquawk, because they are fans and want to discuss them. Disagreements arise between philosophies but never about the entity of the team. Am I telling you or Exodus you aren't fans? No, that is foolish. I am just trying to explain to you that Zaza is an above average defensive rebounder. You guys are continuing to deny this.

You can twist statistics around. When you watch the games your eyes don't lie. Zaza's had his moments this year but the Hawks are better off when he's not on the floor generally speaking.

Oh yes, I am the king of twisting around defensive rebounding statistics. Obviously he gets weak defensive rebounds that should really only count as half a rebound. Are you going to start saying he was just lucky to be in the right place at the right time? The laundry list of excuses for why my statistics are 'twisted' is getting ridiculous and continues to.

Explain to me how I am twisting rebounding statistics. Is per minute not a good measure? Would you rather I use rebounding rate (the percentage of defensive rebounds collected from the opportunities of a defensive rebound available)? Is the sample size too small? Do you want to claim we played weak competition (that doesn't hold, everyone in the NBA eventually plays everyone else at least twice)?

The truth is, statistics do not lie its just that some people don't understand them. Allow me to help anyone who doesn't understand these to better understand. Also do not start misconstruing what I am saying. I am not touching the subject of Zaza being an effective scorer or any other facet of the game aside from defensive rebounding right now. I am simply pointing out what the statistics show to be the case, but more excuses pop up about Zaza not being a good defensive rebounder. Maybe the next excuse about Zaza is he doesn't have the correct form when rebounding? Who knows, but I know some off-base excuse is coming to try and refute Zaza's defensive rebounding statistics.

The truth is, statistics do not lie its just that some people don't understand them.

It is nice to see that you understand yourself so well.

Washington is getting outrebounded by 3 per game on the season. Toronto gets ourebounded by 3.4 rebounds per game with JO playing most of the games. he didn't play against us.

36% of Zaza's total (and defensive) rebounds came in two games against those two teams. How do you like those numbers?

gayasthis.jpg

Two years ago, Zaza was healthy for a whole season and shot 47.4% from the field and 78% from the free throw line.

He played a hella lot more minutes that season than he has since. He played about half of last season with shoulder pain, and he reaggravated that shoulder injury in our 7th game this year.

He's a better offensive player than he's showing out there. Small sample size may play a role in his rebounding stats-he's had really good stretches in the past, and he's probably not really a top ten rebounder in the NBA-but small sample size DEFINITELY plays a role in his poor offensive numbers thus far this season.

Last night Zaza played a solid 26 minutes with 6 points, 6 boards, 2 assists and just one TO. The rest of the bench was dreadfully awful....combined for 8 points, 4 boards, 3 assists and two turnovers.

Maurice Evans does not play that poorly most nights, is usually our best bench player...but aside from him, Zaza is easily our most effective reserve.

Explain to me how I am twisting rebounding statistics. Is per minute not a good measure? Would you rather I use rebounding rate (the percentage of defensive rebounds collected from the opportunities of a defensive rebound available)? Is the sample size too small? Do you want to claim we played weak competition (that doesn't hold, everyone in the NBA eventually plays everyone else at least twice)?

Rebound rate actually IS a better measure for rebounding, but it says pretty much the same about Zaza-he's definitely in the top ten in the NBA thus far.

Rebound rate actually IS a better measure for rebounding, but it says pretty much the same about Zaza-he's definitely in the top ten in the NBA thus far.

Zaza is currently 25th out of 53 centers in defensive rebounding rate using Hollingers ratings. that is above average now but i would wager that it won't stay that way.

Zaza has gotten 0 defensive rebounds in 2 games and 1 defensive rebound in 3 games. He played a total of 71 minutes in those 5 games, getting only 3 defensive rebounds.

In the end Zaza will be well below average in defensive rebounding rate, where he has always been.