• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Someone Tell Me Why Smoove Is Still Chucking 3's?

JackB1

• Moderators
he shouldn't be standing outside the 3 pt line in the first place. He should be moving without the ball, looking for openings inside. There is no reason for him to be standing outside the 3 pt line in the half court set.

Agreed. I have said for years that this is a Woodson issue because either the system has Josh Smith outside the 3pt line where he should NOT be or Woodson isn't demanding his team actually carry out his system. Either way, that falls on Woodson in my book.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i dont blame woody for smoove chucking 3's I have heard woody get on josh about this situation before. i blame smoove, he's a very cocky player, which I generally love, with the exception of his three pointers that he takes. noone can tell him anything. he is never wrong in his own eyes, but i guess none of us are in our own eyes. just a thought GO HAWKS!!!

• Moderators
i dont blame woody for smoove chucking 3's I have heard woody get on josh about this situation before. i blame smoove, he's a very cocky player, which I generally love, with the exception of his three pointers that he takes. noone can tell him anything. he is never wrong in his own eyes, but i guess none of us are in our own eyes. just a thought GO HAWKS!!!

I absolutely blame Woodson. He had plenty of opportunity to coach Smith not to be outside the 3pt arc on offense or to sit him when he shot 3's, etc. Steps to get him to exercise better shot selection should have been done a while ago. Smoove might want to shoot 3's but Woodson should be in charge of the offense enough to control that.

Would anyone accept it if Solomon Jones was chucking half court shots and then say, "I can't blame Woodson. Solo just loves to shoot those half court shots! What can a coach do?"

I absolutely blame Woodson. He had plenty of opportunity to coach Smith not to be outside the 3pt arc on offense or to sit him when he shot 3's, etc. Steps to get him to exercise better shot selection should have been done a while ago. Smoove might want to shoot 3's but Woodson should be in charge of the offense enough to control that.

Would anyone accept it if Solomon Jones was chucking half court shots and then say, "I can't blame Woodson. Solo just loves to shoot those half court shots! What can a coach do?"

first off, you cant sit one of your best players in almost any situation, woody sitting smoove is not an option no matter what happens, i was just saying that i've seen and heard of woody addressing this situation b4 and obviously it hasn't changed so woody cant continue to beat a dead horse when he has to focus on so many other facets of the game. Josh is gonna do whatever he wants cause he thinks he's the best player in the NBA and i love that about him. And we all know that Josh has a little attitude problem, which i also love about him, But he does need to stop chucking threes. Josh will make 1 of 5 which is horrible but i will take that as long as his block average doesn't resemble his 3PT average. I cant stand that everyone hates on woody HE HAS DONE A GOOD JOB SINCE LAST YEAR'S PLAYOFFS AND I THINK WE SHOULD LET HIM HEaR ABOUT IT. woody knows what he is doing or he would not have a job and we would find someone else that would receive that same criticism.

• Moderators
first off, you cant sit one of your best players in almost any situation, woody sitting smoove is not an option no matter what happens,

Now that you are in the playoff hunt, you probably can't afford to. That is why it was so critical to this while Smith was developing and the team was winning 13 games, 26 games, etc. and way out of the playoff hunt.

i was just saying that i've seen and heard of woody addressing this situation b4 and obviously it hasn't changed so woody cant continue to beat a dead horse when he has to focus on so many other facets of the game.

I think it is inattention to this part of the game that is the biggest problem. Even at this juncture there is still something Woodson can do other than bench Smith -- scheme his offense so that Smith is required to be in the paint (making cuts in that area, setting screens for guards, setting screens back and forth with Horford, etc.) when there are fewer than 10 seconds on the clock to ensure that Smith isn't given the option to shoot the 3. Woodson won't do that. Instead, he continues to put Smith on the perimeter in those situations and let him make the bad choice.

Josh is gonna do whatever he wants cause he thinks he's the best player in the NBA and i love that about him. And we all know that Josh has a little attitude problem, which i also love about him, But he does need to stop chucking threes. Josh will make 1 of 5 which is horrible but i will take that as long as his block average doesn't resemble his 3PT average. I cant stand that everyone hates on woody HE HAS DONE A GOOD JOB SINCE LAST YEAR'S PLAYOFFS AND I THINK WE SHOULD LET HIM HEaR ABOUT IT. woody knows what he is doing or he would not have a job and we would find someone else that would receive that same criticism.

I am not a fan of Woodson's, but I would not fire him now if I were running the team. The team is clicking pretty well and there is no reason to upset that chemistry by changing head coach at this point in the season.

For me, starting to do a good job over the last 25 games of his coaching career is not enough (i.e., since the playoffs last season).

Given that management was trying to keep Knight when Knight quit leads to a problem with the logic that Woodson would not have a job if he didn't know what he was doing. That assumes that management would not continue to employ him unless he knew what he was doing. The same logic would apply to Knight. Yet, Knight's job in part is to evaluate the coach. Knight thought Wodson should be fired. If Knight knew what he was doing then Woodson should be fired. Knight should be retained because he knows what he is doing and he knows Woodson should be fired. But management refused to fire Woodson so their judgment is unreliable.

On the other hand, if Knight doesn't know what he is doing and improperly wants to fire Woodson then Knight should be fired because he doesn't know what he is doing. But if that is the case, management cannot be relied upon to fire someone who doesn't know what they are doing because they didn't want to fire Knight.

In either case, we cannot trust management would fire someone if he didn't know what he was doing.

it's obvious that knight had no idea what he was doing so that doesn't need to be talked about. i think taht woody has more reins and is doing a better job without the moron billy knight breathing down his throat. woody has done a better job and not to mention we have a lot of good talent on this team right now which i guess we can somewhat thank knight for but we would even be better if he had drafted differently. i cant blame woody he openly wanted chris paul and knight went in another direciton. anyway go hawks

Smith didn't even start shooting 3s until after the All-Star break in his second season. Smith only took 23 three pointers in his rookie year and only took 9 treys in the first 4 months of his second year.

Then Woody gave him the green light in march of his second season.

Simple solution. Don't pass the ball to Josh when he's behind the arch.

If he ain't got the ball, he can't shoot. He wants the ball. If he knows that, in order

to get the ball, he must move inside the arch, he will get inside.

There will be times when he will bring the ball up himself and shoot the three. Can't

stop that, but the rest of the stuff CAN be controlled, whether HE thinks it's possible

or not.

• Moderators
Smith didn't even start shooting 3s until after the All-Star break in his second season. Smith only took 23 three pointers in his rookie year and only took 9 treys in the first 4 months of his second year.

Exactly. There was a time and place to address this and Woodson let it blossom and continues to do so. That is on him.

• Premium Member
it means very easy. I use for some reason

Ah, I see. I was trying to decide whether you were leaning toward the "garden tool" definition or not. :)

I'm the only male in an office with 4 women, so I think I'll try that phrase out here...

:slap1:

• Premium Member
Simple solution. Don't pass the ball to Josh when he's behind the arch.

If he ain't got the ball, he can't shoot. He wants the ball. If he knows that, in order

to get the ball, he must move inside the arch, he will get inside.

There will be times when he will bring the ball up himself and shoot the three. Can't

stop that, but the rest of the stuff CAN be controlled, whether HE thinks it's possible

or not.

Yet you see Joe continue to pass him the ball when he's 'behind the arch'. Joe, as acting captain, has to know that Josh should get the ball at the 3-pt line.

WOW! I forgot that. This needs its own thread. Heck, that thread should be pinned at the top.

or not.

I don't think I've ever seen him do a Baron Davis pull up 3. I don't think he tries to show off, he just isn't aware of his limitations. When he brings the ball up he usually tries to go in for the dunk/layup or just passes it off if the D has gotten back.

Its when he catches the ball outside, if his defender is playing off of him it seems like he applies conventional logic (shoot the ball if the defender gives you space and then he'll have to play you close) without considering that he's a bad shooter. I think its a basic lack of self-awareness. He's trying to be the best player he can be but isn't smart enough to realize what that actually entails.

I agree with AHF though. Its on Josh but its on Woody too. Josh has shown this year and in the past that if he is given the ball in the right spots, he has a good chance of scoring. Unfortunately, we have very little movement in our half court sets and it seems like we rarely go to the hot hand inside (I'm thinking of the Knicks game where Josh and even Al were doing very well in the low post and after about 7 minutes of that, we just didn't go to it again).

to say that the defense doesn't guard smith when he's behind the 3 point line is ridiculous. he's not just standing out there by himself. his three pointers usually come off of dibble penetration when the defense helps, as do most players 3 pointers. if smith didn't shoot the three sometimes defenses would just pack the lane and keep him from ever driving to the hole. if he's open, he has to take the shot without thinking about it.

• Admin
to say that the defense doesn't guard smith when he's behind the 3 point line is ridiculous. he's not just standing out there by himself. his three pointers usually come off of dibble penetration when the defense helps, as do most players 3 pointers. if smith didn't shoot the three sometimes defenses would just pack the lane and keep him from ever driving to the hole. if he's open, he has to take the shot without thinking about it.

I completely disagree...he is ALWAYS open on the 3 point line. Its because he is a terrible 3 point shooter. If there is no lane then he passes it off.

There is no excuse for him taking 5 three point shots in a game.

• Moderators

By the same rationale, I expect to see Amare Stoudamire launching 3's now because Amare will never be able to drive to the hole if he isn't launching 3's when left open outside the arc.

Hmm...now that I think about it, I see Amare drive the lane all the time but never see him launching 3's.

I wonder why that is?