• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

(Altercation) Flip may see less minutes after...

y2kenta

....last night's game vs NY Knick!!!

When Woody pulled Flip in the 4th in favor of Bibby (right after Flip hoisted a bad shot and had a careless turnover in a close game) Flip came off the floor and Woody said something to him and Flip said something, looking as if he snapped back at Woody as he kept walking down the bench to find a seat....Woody's reaction looked as if he didn't like Flip's reaction and he turned to go after Flip and the camera kept changing back to the floor....but I did see Horford restraining Flip and stepping in between him and Woody....Tempers obviously flared, but I hope it wasn't nothing serious because we "DO" need Flip to give us a punch off the bench, but he has been struggling lately while still hogging Woody's backup PG minutes....Acie needs some of that PT to become more steady....

:slap1:

Anyone else see that last night?

When Woody pulled Flip in the 4th in favor of Bibby (right after Flip hoisted a bad shot and had a careless turnover in a close game) Flip came off the floor and Woody said something to him and Flip said something, looking as if he snapped back at Woody as he kept walking down the bench to find a seat....Woody's reaction looked as if he didn't like Flip's reaction and he turned to go after Flip and the camera kept changing back to the floor....but I did see Horford restraining Flip and stepping in between him and Woody....Tempers obviously flared, but I hope it wasn't nothing serious because we "DO" need Flip to give us a punch off the bench, but he has been struggling lately while still hogging Woody's backup PG minutes....Acie needs some of that PT to become more steady....

Hey, this is good news. Acie needs a chance to get out and play the point without Flip on the floor ball-hogging.

When you talk about Flip struggling, you fail to realize that he's still shooting 4.5% better than his career average from 3, and he's only a couple of points below his career FG%.

The really disturbing trend is that he usually shares the ball a bit better than he has this year. Normally he gets pigeonholed into playing the backup point, but we've let him play mostly as a 2....which boils down to, he's still ball hogging and putting on dribbling displays, but he doesn't feel the need to play distributor since he's not playing point.

Just for one game, as an experiment (one that's sure to fail), I'd like to see Mario get all of Flip's minutes-he's actually less detrimental to the offense than Flip is at that point (even counting Flip's fairly solid performance last night).

Woodson was ticked off after the game and let his team have it in the locker room. And several of the players were not pleased about being called out.
http://www.ajc.com/blogs/content/shared-bl...aying_fast.html (from Sekou's second entry in the comments section)

I'm assuming one of those players referred to above is Flip. I have no problem w/ Woody letting him know that kind of play is unacceptable. We do need Flip to get decent minutes off the bench though. He's the only guy in the second unit who can really create his own shot when the offense stagnates. Unfortunately it seems like it's the only way he knows how to play.

• Premium Member
http://www.ajc.com/blogs/content/shared-bl...aying_fast.html (from Sekou's second entry in the comments section)

I'm assuming one of those players referred to above is Flip. I have no problem w/ Woody letting him know that kind of play is unacceptable. We do need Flip to get decent minutes off the bench though. He's the only guy in the second unit who can really create his own shot when the offense stagnates. Unfortunately it seems like it's the only way he knows how to play.

The only two players who should get a pass from last night were Marvin, who took it to the rack on a number of occasions, and Bibby, who shouldn't be expected to penetrate because he sucks at it.

The ironic thing is that Flip is a good penetrator and a horrible jumpshooter. If anyone should have been aggressive, it should've been him.

I have noticed Flip makes plenty of bad decisions and takes bad shots. I guess you let him play, if he's hot but when he goes cold you need to take him out. He is a sub, not a guy you can depend on.

Hawk88

Flip's a chucker. Woody should know that. I am sure Sund does.

In other words, Flip is going to put up bad shots. The payoff is that he can really go off at any moment, and those bad shots seem to be the key to getting him going.

The Hawks need Flip over the 82 games. I hope Woodson doesn't keep him in the dog house too long. Heck, we are really going to need Flip tonight to guard Terry.

Flip's a chucker. Woody should know that. I am sure Sund does.

In other words, Flip is going to put up bad shots. The payoff is that he can really go off at any moment, and those bad shots seem to be the key to getting him going.

The Hawks need Flip over the 82 games. I hope Woodson doesn't keep him in the dog house too long. Heck, we are really going to need Flip tonight to guard Terry.

Yep, he is who he is. There is a reason that he is on a vet min contract and there is an equally powerful reason that he has been able to stay in the league and get PT at his various stops.

Over the course of the season, Flip will probably average in the low 40%s and the high 20%s from deep. When he's hittin'em, he's your favorite bench player and when he's not your wonder why he's in the league.

Edited by crimedog

Flip loses confidence if he's told to slow down and share the ball. So you either let him do his crazy things, which worked more often than not so far, or he's lost and useless. I'd give him 5-15 mpg and free hand.

Flip is the kind of player I think we will be fine with having for one season and one season only. The guy has been really getting on Woodson bad side here of late. If Acie would learn how to play with confidence he might have no trouble with benching Flip for a few games just to send a message.

But how do you gain confidence when you're benched after 1 mistake? That's what usually happens to Solo and Acie. Youth = turnovers and how do you prove yourself playing only a few minutes per game? Murray's turnovers are often dangerous, he should be sub'ed after first one.

Edited by tremor