• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Enough with the Rondo all star talk already

NJHAWK

I cant believe those looney toons on espn last night were saying he deserved to be an all star. You gotta be kidding me. Look he is a nice role player but most nights nobody even bothers to guard the guy. He is an after thought and folks are too busy trying to guard the 3 all nba players they have. When he gets in the middle of the lane everyone guards the passing options and let him walk to the hoop. 10 points and 6 assist a game on that team? All star? What a joke. He is the only guy in the nba who gets more room to shot jumpers than Smoove.

Edited by NJHAWK

At this point I think he is a better player and more valuable than ray allen.

PPG does not tell you the whole story about a player.

Rondo is 3rd in steals per game, 11th in Assist to TO ratio, 3rd in defensive rating, 8th in assists...

And while in offense things are made easy for him, dont tell me that on D playing alongside Ray Allen and Paul Pierce makes things easy for him.

At this point in his career, Ray Allen is little more than a sharpshooter, easily replaceable.

A defense first PG like rondo, on the other hand... The only PGs in the eastern conference Id pick over rondo if Im starting from scratch are calderon and harris. And in a team with so many scorers and shooters like the celtics, Rondo is the perfect fit.

To say he is a BJ Armstrong type of player is laughable.

Switch Bibby and Rondo around and the celtics are a much worse team, and the hawks a much better one.

Edited by dlpin

I cant believe those looney toons on espn last night were saying he deserved to be an all star. You gotta be kidding me. Look he is a nice role player but most nights nobody even bothers to guard the guy. He is an after thought and folks are too busy trying to guard the 3 all nba players they have. When he gets in the middle of the lane everyone guards the passing options and let him walk to the hoop. 10 points and 6 assist a game on that team? All star? What a joke. He is the only guy in the nba who gets more room to shot jumpers than Smoove.

all star, no. but he is a hell of a player...top 10 PG too. Im a Bibby fan but Rondo is better than him. if Rondo gets a jumpshot, he will be a star! until then he will just be a good player

I totally agree that Rondo should be an allstar !

Rondo and D. Harris will be the allstar PGs for the Eastern Conference.

Half of basketball is defense and Rondo is the best defensive PG in the game today. His offense is not too shabby either.

Allen, KG, amd Pierce are all basically averaging career lows this year in points and Rondo is the one picking up the slack.

• Moderators

I don't think he is an all-star level player yet but he is a becoming a bigtime player. He is much more than simply a role player for the Celtics or any other team.

Also agree with those saying, Rondo > Bibby but it is closer than the head to head matchups would indicate (neither of them are All-Star level this season).

I don't think he is an all-star level player yet but he is a becoming a bigtime player. He is much more than simply a role player for the Celtics or any other team.

Also agree with those saying, Rondo > Bibby but it is closer than the head to head matchups would indicate (neither of them are All-Star level this season).

More then anyting its the lack of talented PGs in the East that would make Rondo an allstar.

The West is loaded with allstar talented PGs:

Paul, Parker, Nash, Kidd, B. Davis, and Billups are all in the West.

Besides Devin Harris, what PG would you put in the allstar game for the East ? I don't consider AI a PG at all. Arenas is not really a PG either but he is hurt anyway. Calderon's has talent but his team is dissapointing this year so I don't see him making it.

Edited by coachx

• Moderators
More then anyting its the lack of talented PGs in the East that would make Rondo an allstar.

The West is loaded with allstar talented PGs:

Paul, Parker, Nash, Kidd, B. Davis, and Billups are all in the West.

Besides Devin Harris, what PG would you put in the allstar game for the East ? I don't consider AI a PG at all. Arenas is not really a PG either but he is hurt anyway. Calderon's has talent but his team is dissapointing this year so I don't see him making it.

It is a weak class this year. I guess I am using the term All-Star more as a description of a level of play than actually talking about making the team. Guys can have an All-Star year, IMO, without making the team. I love Jamaal Magloire but he wasn't having an All-Star caliber year, IMO, when he made the team.

It is a weak class this year. I guess I am using the term All-Star more as a description of a level of play than actually talking about making the team. Guys can have an All-Star year, IMO, without making the team. I love Jamaal Magloire but he wasn't having an All-Star caliber year, IMO, when he made the team.

I totally agree with that.

Personally I love Ashley Judd, but congrats on coming out of the closet AHF ;)

Back on topic though, I believe Rondo should make the team this year but he's not an All-Star PG in most years. I'd love to have him as the Hawks PG but let's not fool ourselves he's no Jason Kidd in his prime and I'm sure most teams would take even Devin Harris over Rondo.

Mike Bibby would be deadly on Boston, they would be just as good with him. He would get wide open 3's the whole game. He gets some here because of JJ. On Boston he would have a guy in the post and guys on the wing to pass to. Saying we would be better and win more games with Rondo is insane. Teams would double Joe and make Rondo shoot. It would be just like when we had AJ at the point. Joe would have no protection because unlike Pierce, Joe wouldnt have KG and Ray he would just have Rondo. Rondo is a super defender and if you want to talk about him making the all defense team at point thats fine but an all star, lol thats insane. Long term Rondo is the better choice because he has alot of time to get better and develope as where Bibby is what he is. When Bibby was in his prime he was not an all star but he was 10 times better than Rondo.

Mike Bibby would be deadly on Boston, they would be just as good with him. He would get wide open 3's the whole game. He gets some here because of JJ. On Boston he would have a guy in the post and guys on the wing to pass to. Saying we would be better and win more games with Rondo is insane. Teams would double Joe and make Rondo shoot. It would be just like when we had AJ at the point. Joe would have no protection because unlike Pierce, Joe wouldnt have KG and Ray he would just have Rondo. Rondo is a super defender and if you want to talk about him making the all defense team at point thats fine but an all star, lol thats insane. Long term Rondo is the better choice because he has alot of time to get better and develope as where Bibby is what he is. When Bibby was in his prime he was not an all star but he was 10 times better than Rondo.

A back court of Bibby and Ray Allen would be killed by any team with a decent guard. And you dont have to imagine what if, just look at Boston when Eddie House is on the floor. I am not saying that Eddie House is anywhere near Bibby, but House is a sharpshooter with questionable defense. He is putting solid scoring stats, but Boston is always worse with him on because of defense.

And as far as Bibby being "10x better than rondo," Bibby was never anywhere close to the defender Rondo is.

You guys need to stop looking at a player's skill as being only ppg and ast. At 22, Rondo is already near the top in terms of PG defense.

Otherwise, how can you explain the Celtics success, even as they lost Posey, and KG, Ray Allen and Paul Pierce are all having career low years?

Replace Rondo with a shoot first, no defense PG, and the celtics are nothing special.

And as far as Bibby being "10x better than rondo," Bibby was never anywhere close to the defender Rondo is.

You guys need to stop looking at a player's skill as being only ppg and ast. At 22, Rondo is already near the top in terms of PG defense.

Otherwise, how can you explain the Celtics success, even as they lost Posey, and KG, Ray Allen and Paul Pierce are all having career low years?

Replace Rondo with a shoot first, no defense PG, and the celtics are nothing special.

Inever said he was a better defender but he was 10 times the player Rondo is now and Bibby was never even an all star. The Bibby from Sactowns heydey was 1st fiddle on a team that was prolly a league officiating fix away from winning a title and beating a great great Laker team with two top 10 all time nba players. Rondo was 4th or 5th fiddle on Boston last season and is 4th fiddle this season. Nobody even guards the guy. His man in the man who doubles. He can be an all nba defense point guard but is nothing even close to an all star. If you are saying he is the reason the C's are so good you have lost your mind.

Inever said he was a better defender but he was 10 times the player Rondo is now and Bibby was never even an all star. The Bibby from Sactowns heydey was 1st fiddle on a team that was prolly a league officiating fix away from winning a title and beating a great great Laker team with two top 10 all time nba players. Rondo was 4th or 5th fiddle on Boston last season and is 4th fiddle this season. Nobody even guards the guy. His man in the man who doubles. He can be an all nba defense point guard but is nothing even close to an all star. If you are saying he is the reason the C's are so good you have lost your mind.

First of all, the year the Kings almost went to the finals Bibby was no where close to being 1st fiddle. In 2001-2002, which is what we are talking about, his totals were 13.7 ppg and 5 apg in a team that had Crhis Webber, Peja and Vlade in their peaks or close to it. Bibby was only really 1st fiddle later, when they did not have anywhere near the level of success of earlier.

Second, you keep making the mistake that offense is more important than defense. Rondo's J sucks, and no one guards him. But that is a small part of his game. He is only 4th fiddle when it comes to taking shots. 3rd best assist to TO ratio in the league, and top 3 among PGs in defense easily. Was Bibby ever top 2 or 3 in offense? You keep talking as if D is some minor part of the game.

As far as his importance for the celtics goes, let me quote you a few stats on his role on the team this season:

he is 2nd in PER and in Win Shares for the celtics, which give you a better idea of the importance of him being on the court than PPG.

For the league, he is 3rd in steals, 3rd in defensive rating.

If you are still not convinced, here is how some of the league's top PGs (or SGs he guarded) performed against him:

Allen Iverson: 10 points, 4 assists, 4 turnovers

Bibby: in the 2 encounters, he scored almost one point below his average, had 2.5 turnovers (as opposed to his 1.5 avg) and 2.5 assists (as opposed to his 4.9avg)

Calderon: over 3 points below his average in the 2 games, shooting under 28% (normally 47% shooter)

Chris Paul: Shot 31%, his second worst of the season

Deron Williams: Fouled out, and had 4 turnovers and just 7 assists (3 under his average)

The only way someone can fail to notice how important he is is if they are focusing only on PPG.

Obviously he is not the only reason the Cs are so good, but put Bibby (or any other offense first PG) in his place and these celtics would be much, much worse than they are now. With Ray Allen and Paul Pierce playing major minutes, the celtics defense would have as many holes as a swiss cheese if the PG wasnt truly exceptional as a defender.

Other than Garnett, Rondo is easily the most important player on this team. Or do you think its Pierce's 40% shooting that has the celtics with the best start in franchise history? Ray Allen's defense?

Any way you cut it, be it in the comprehensive stats, be it in the game to game evidence, other than Garnett, Rondo is the player the C's cant afford to lose.

Rondo is the most important player on the Celtics roster. I didn't say the best.

He is the engine that makes this big 18 wheeler run. You could replace the engine,

but the truck wouldn't run as well.

Rondo may not be an all star as far as the NBA goes. He may not be the best

when you throw a bunch of super players together and go out and face the West.

However, he is the star of this group. He has the talent to match up well with

the Celtics roster. He makes them a much better team.

Remove Rondo form the Celtics This season and they become a lesser teasm, even

with their other eleven active all stars on their roster.

Rondo is the most important player on the Celtics roster. I didn't say the best.

He is the engine that makes this big 18 wheeler run. You could replace the engine,

but the truck wouldn't run as well.

Rondo may not be an all star as far as the NBA goes. He may not be the best

when you throw a bunch of super players together and go out and face the West.

However, he is the star of this group. He has the talent to match up well with

the Celtics roster. He makes them a much better team.

Remove Rondo form the Celtics This season and they become a lesser teasm, even

with their other eleven active all stars on their roster.

Rondo is a good PG as i've stated before but KG is the most important player on that team. Pierce seems to be the MVP on that team and got it in the finals..but KG is the most important..take KG off that team and they fall off tremendously. KG was the missing piece of the puzzle..

Edited by r3drumNYNJ

Rondo is a good PG as i've stated before but KG is the most important player on that team. Pierce seems to be the MVP on that team and got it in the finals..but KG is the most important..take KG off that team and they fall off tremendously. KG was the missing piece of the puzzle..

Rajon Rondo-another example of how badly botched the 2006 draft was :beat: