• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Expiring (and potential expiring) Contracts

mattlanta

Copy and paste this into your post and then insert how much money (and for how many years) you would pay for them to come back to play for this team for x amount of years.

[b]Mike Bibby:[/b]
[b]Marvin Williams:[/b]
[b]Zaza Pachulia:[/b]
[b]Flip Murray:[/b]
[b]Solomon Jones:[/b]
[b]Mario West:[/b]
[b]Thomas Gardner:[/b][/code]

• Premium Member
Copy and paste this into your post and then insert how much money (and for how many years) you would pay for them to come back to play for this team for x amount of years.

[b]Mike Bibby:[/b]
[b]Marvin Williams:[/b]
[b]Zaza Pachulia:[/b]
[b]Flip Murray:[/b]
[b]Solomon Jones:[/b]
[b]Mario West:[/b]
[b]Thomas Gardner:[/b][/code]

I'll play:

Bibby - 4 year 34 Million. (TO 3rd) Starts at about 7.4 Million.

Zaza - 4 year 22 Million. Starts at about 4.3 Million.

Flip - 2 year 7 Million. Starts at about 3.35

Rio - 2 year 3 Million. Starts at 1.45 Million.

Soloman = 3 year 8 Million. Starts at 2.45 Million.

Marvin or Chillz.... 5 year 31 Million. (PO 3rd, TO 4th) Starts at 6.65

I think we ought to use Marvin or Chillz in a SNT...

I think that we ought to find a trade for Mo.

• Moderators

Mike Bibby: 3 years 27M - 9M per

Marvin Williams: 5 years 40M - 7M; 7.5M; 8M; 8.5M; 9M

Zaza Pachulia: 3 years 16.5M - 5M, 5.5M, 6M

Flip Murray: 2 years 6M

Solomon Jones: 3 years 7M

Mario West: Invite to camp

Thomas Gardner: Invite to camp

Mike Bibby: 3 years 27M - 9M per

Marvin Williams: 5 years 40M - 7M; 7.5M; 8M; 8.5M; 9M

Zaza Pachulia: 3 years 16.5M - 5M, 5.5M, 6M

Flip Murray: 2 years 6M

Solomon Jones: 3 years 7M

Sounds about right. Except i'm kinda leary of giving Bibby a three year deal. I just don't know if he really has that much left in the tank. You also have to remember he's having a career year. To expect the same over 3 years is foolish.

Diesel, how could you even say Marvin or Chillz??? Marvin>>>>>>>Chilz

Marvin is better in every aspect of the game then Chillz is and it's not even close.

• Premium Member
Sounds about right. Except i'm kinda leary of giving Bibby a three year deal. I just don't know if he really has that much left in the tank. You also have to remember he's having a career year. To expect the same over 3 years is foolish.

Marvin is better in every aspect of the game then Chillz is and it's not even close.

Marvin is the most unagressive player on our team. Therefore, he is not >>>>>> Chilllz.

Moreover, if we have Bibby, Joe, and Flip... We have enough outside shooting. Chillz brings us a player who will do the dirty work on the inside. A player who will finish. Last season, Chillz FG% was 57.1%. That's better than most Centers. Chillz ball handling is better than Marvin (important for a team that struggles with ball movement). Despite all the hype about Marvin, he's having a down year. Per 36, his ppg are down to the same level it was during his rookie year.

Mike Bibby: Too many variables to consider until trade deadline and summer time...

Marvin Williams: 40 million = MW's agent pisses on the offer and passes it to Marv to do the same.

Zaza Pachulia: Would offer this position to Varejao at 3 years 22 million or Sheed 3 years 30 million...

Flip Murray: 2 years 6M = would like this to happen.

Solomon Jones: 3 years 7M = probably get him for a little cheaper.

Mario West: Invite to camp = ditto

Thomas Gardner: 2 round pick = Wesley Matthews or Jerel Mcneal

• Moderators
Marvin Williams: 40 million = MW's agent pisses on the offer and passes it to Marv to do the same.

I invite him to get an offer somewhere else if he thinks he is worth more than 8M/yr right now. We can always match.

Mike Bibby: 4 years 33M - 12M/09, 7M for remaining 3 years

Marvin Williams: 5 years 50M - 9M; 9.5M; 10M; 10.5M; 11M

Zaza Pachulia: 3 years 14M - 4.3M, 4.7M, 5.0M

Flip Murray: 2 years 5M

Solomon Jones: 1 years 1M

If we don't front load Bibby's contract heavily, we won't have the money under the cap when Joe becomes a FA. We should have money next year. And all these signings means we would NOT be able to sign Childress or do a SNT with him next year and still be under the Luxury Tax. To take advantage of Childress either resigning or SNT, or to deal Speedy, we need to make another move with one or more of our big players. Unfortunately.

I invite him to get an offer somewhere else if he thinks he is worth more than 8M/yr right now. We can always match.

I'd go 5/$45M for Marvin with the same thought process as his qualifying offer is more than $7M anyway. If he can find a better offer than that, have at it.

• Premium Member

If we don't front load Bibby's contract heavily, we won't have the money under the cap when Joe becomes a FA. We should have money next year. And all these signings means we would NOT be able to sign Childress or do a SNT with him next year and still be under the Luxury Tax. To take advantage of Childress either resigning or SNT, or to deal Speedy, we need to make another move with one or more of our big players. Unfortunately.

That's one reason why we should make a trade at the deadline. However, don't forget, Bibby's contract won't be 15 Million next year. No matter what. If we can knock his salary down to a contract starting at 7, we have 8 Million to deal with. Not to mention, I would consider the lesser of Chillz Marv and try to trade the other to a team for a player and a draft pick and salary cap...

• Premium Member

Wow,

You believe that Marvin is worth 10 a year? If Marvin were on another team... making 10 a year, playing like he plays now and you could trade for him, Would you?

I think that is too much money for Marvin. His current production could be replaced for a lot less money (though you obviously lose the upside).

I don't see how Bibby would take anything less then a three year deal since this will likely be his last big contract.

• Moderators

I don't think you can front load Bibby's contract like that if you are talking about how the money appears for cap purposes. We'd have to resign Bibby for one year and then sign him to a new deal the next year to do this, I think. I think that you can give a signing bonus to load a contract up front but that this bonus is not the way the money appears on the cap.

Teams are allowed to offer the players they sign a bonus worth as much as 20% of the total compensation (17.5% in offer sheets to restricted free agents signed after March 1, 2006). If a player has a signing bonus, then that bonus is spread among the guaranteed seasons in the contract (not option years or years following an ETO), in proportion to the percentage of salary in each of those seasons that is guaranteed*.

* The calculation for allocating the signing bonus to the years of the contract is somewhat confusing. It is not proportionate to the salary, but rather to how much of the salary is guaranteed. If there are five years in the contract, there is no option year or ETO, and each year of the contract is 100% guaranteed, then 20% of the signing bonus is allocated equally to each season of the contract, even though (as in the example above), the salary increases throughout the contract.

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#Q62

Maybe one of our cap experts can chime in, but I am pretty sure you also cannot reduce a player's base salary that much from one year to the next so I don't think we can frontload the contract like this.

What do you guys think of us, instead of signing Murray, go after a better perimeter Defender in Trevor Ariza? He can't score as well as Murray can per se (in terms of shooting) but he's a smarter player who, if he doesn't ask for too much, I think can really make an impact as a role player coming off the bench. I wouldn't mind seeing more of Law either... next year, I don't think I'd be the only one surprised if Law isn't getting anymore minutes. Although Woodson doesn't like playing young guards over veterans, it would only make sense to play Law more and more now.

Wow,

You believe that Marvin is worth 10 a year? If Marvin were on another team... making 10 a year, playing like he plays now and you could trade for him, Would you?

Actually, it depends on the team. If you're in a city that can't attract free agents, would you overpay for a young guy with "potential" who's signed up for 4/ years? Yeah, I would.

A couple of points though. First, Marvin will get his money. Maybe I'm giving him a little too much, but he'll get at least $8M as a starting point. Now it comes down to whether you get anything in return. S&T's aren't easy, so I would rather match and trade him a year down the road after he's no longer BYC, even if it is too much money.

Second, Marvin isn't my favorite player, but he's not as bad as you always infer. I would much rather have some other guys at the wing, but I wouldn't be unhappy with Marvin. And he's the best one on one defender for the Hawks right now. If you lose him, you better get someone to fill that void, who can still be an offensive option on the wing.

Lastly, I would actually like to revamp the team at the trade deadline. I don't think this current team as is can advance past the 1st round over the next 4 years. Too much relying on the 3 ball, and not enough man to man D. Witness tonight with DWade, as after the pick was set on Joe, he just went though us like a hot knife through butter.

There are two trades that i would like to see us push for that would help out our salary situation. Both would probably set us back this year, but would definitely benefit us in the long run. 1) Bosh, Graham/Humphries and Moon for Smith, Marvin and Speedy. Since Smith is BYC, Speedy's contract is needed to make it work. Toronto is falling fast, and Bosh wants to play for a contender. JJ and Bosh would make us one immediately. Moon, although he doesn't have much of a ceiling, plays solid D (except his last game against Joe LOL) and is very cheap. Graham or Humphries are just filler, but Humphries just got hurt and has two more years on his contract. 2) Trade Bibby and Zaza for Hinrich and Gooden. Chicago want so free up cap space, and if they can't move Hughes, this would free up Hinrich's long term contract. Hinrich doesn't shoot the 3 ball quite as well as Bibby, but his D would free up Joe to not have to expend so much energy on D and would have more energy for the offensive side.

Or, you could do a 3 way trade with Toronto and Chicago, with Chicago getting JON, Toronto getting Smith, Marvin, Speedy, Bibby and Zaza, and Atlanta getting Bosh, Moon, Hinrich and Hughes. This trade is way too big to actually take place, but something similar could work. I don't want Hughes, but you could move him at the following year's deadline, as a lot of team's will be trying to clear up cap space for the summer of LeBron. Yeah, this is more like fantasy GM stuff, but it's more realistic than keeping everybody we've got now for the long term, as in 2011 Horford will break the bank and put us into luxury tax territory. At least one of these guys can't be around for that season; it just doesn't work financially.