• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Why we lost this game! JJ

Wurider05

Barbosa was guarding Marvin in the 4th and Woody insists on his iso JJ play. He wnt to Marvin only one time in that matchup. They felt comfortable because they knew that it was going to be the JJ Isolation show in the 4th.

Joe hasn't been shooting well in like forever but Woody insists on forcing him the ball in the 4th.

We have enough weapons where we should suffer while JJ tries to shoot himself out of a slump.

JJ has only 16-17 good shooting games this year. The rest have been piss poor. He needs to take less shots and let others take those shots. Last ten games he is shooting 35% while taking most of the shots. We can't win those numbers. It's okay to beat up on CHicago, Milwaukee, and the CLippers with those numbers but this is not cutting it. He was 5 for 20 tonight. He may need to rest for 2-3 games because something is wrong.

Edited by Wurider05

JJ's flaws keep getting exposed. His game is way too finesse for him to be the go-to guy when his shot is off, and Woody is too dumb to realize it. To be honest with you, JJ shouldn't even have gotten the ball during the last few minutes of the game. The offense should have been run through someone else. Furthermore, Bibby shouldn't have been in the game either. We had an ice cold Joe Johnson setting up an ice cold Mike Bibby for a jumpshot in crunch time. Oh, by the way, the ice cold Bibby couldn't stay in front of the not-so-quick Steve Nash either, but Woody thought it was a good idea to have him in the game at crunch time. That's just not smart basketball.

Edited by Antmillennium

We lost this game because after Bibby hit a 3 with 6:48 left, no Hawk except for Solomon Jones scored any points.

Solomon. Jones.

Hawks missed like 10 shots with 4 turnovers over a 6 minute stretch. Hint, if you have a 6 minute stretch like that in a game and it's in the last 6 minutes of said game, you're pretty much going to lose.

JJ's flaws keep getting exposed. His game is way too finesse for him to be the go-to guy when his shot is off, and Woody is too dumb to realize it. To be honest with you, JJ shouldn't even have gotten the ball during the last few minutes of the game. The offense should have been run through someone else. Furthermore, Bibby shouldn't have been in the game either. We had an ice cold Joe Johnson setting up an ice cold Mike Bibby for a jumpshot in crunch time. That's not smart basketball.

I've said it before in other threads (and I'll bump them if you don't believe me), the Hawks are not equipped to score if JJ's and Bibby's shots aren't falling. The coach will continue to run plays for them, and the rest of the team will defer to them on offense, regardless of the situation. They just can't do it, even in a game where so many other things worked well for them.

Josh Smith's offensive struggles down the stretch didn't help, but we didn't utilize Marvin Williams, we didn't get Flip Murray back in the game, and no one managed to get himself to the free throw line until Solomon Jones accomplished the feat too late for it to matter.

It was Joe's wide open missed layup around the 6:00 minute mark that just demoralized us I think. Why the heck didn't he put the shot up with some authority or some force? Instead another lazy attempt and the result was a pitiful missed layup. To me, that set the tone for the rest of the game...

I'm getting tired of them not feeding Marvin the ball more. I mean he only shot his usual 50% while having 0 turnovers.

Yeah, Marvin's only shot attempt in the fourth quarter came on that run out where Amare blocked it from behind (a tough shot to hit when there's a man in front and you know a shot blocker is trailing), and JJ missed the put back. He had one steal and two rebounds-he needed to grab the ball and and drive in to get to the foul line.

JJ's flaws keep getting exposed. His game is way too finesse for him to be the go-to guy when his shot is off, and Woody is too dumb to realize it. To be honest with you, JJ shouldn't even have gotten the ball during the last few minutes of the game. The offense should have been run through someone else. Furthermore, Bibby shouldn't have been in the game either. We had an ice cold Joe Johnson setting up an ice cold Mike Bibby for a jumpshot in crunch time. Oh, by the way, the ice cold Bibby couldn't stay in front of the not-so-quick Steve Nash either, but Woody thought it was a good idea to have him in the game at crunch time. That's just not smart basketball.

I really can't criticize Joe when he has a night that his shot isn't working, but comes up with 13 assists and 6 steals.

There's some guys who can't do anything when their shot isn't falling, but Joe isn't one of them. He'll still take his shots and try to get back into the game, but he's also willing to be a facilitator and he doesn't let his offensive struggles impact the defensive end of the game.

He plays hard, and even if you can criticize him for not going to the hole hard on that fast break opportunity, you can't blame him for Bibby shooting 2-13, or for Josh Smith turning the ball over twice while deciding to take two jump shots instead of going inside (where he'd been effective on the night) during that last 6 minute stretch.

Edited by bronnt

It was Joe's wide open missed layup around the 6:00 minute mark that just demoralized us I think. Why the heck didn't he put the shot up with some authority or some force? Instead another lazy attempt and the result was a pitiful missed layup. To me, that set the tone for the rest of the game...

That just goes back to JJ's game having way too much finesse in it. Another player of Johnson's size would have dunked that in.

That just goes back to JJ's game having way too much finesse in it. Another player of Johnson's size would have dunked that in.

Another player of Johnson's size probably wouldn't have had 13 assists on just 35 made baskets for the team.

For those of you counting, that's 35 makes, minus his own 5 makes 30...13 assists out of 30 baskets = he alone assisted 43.3% of all his team's made shots.

JJ could have played better, but he's hardly the biggest reason the Hawks lost.

Another player of Johnson's size probably wouldn't have had 13 assists on just 35 made baskets for the team.

For those of you counting, that's 35 makes, minus his own 5 makes 30...13 assists out of 30 baskets = he alone assisted 43.3% of all his team's made shots.

If JJ is to have star status and be the unquestioned leader of this team then him making plays when his shot isnt falling should be expected of him.

JJ is a big reason why the Hawks lost. When it's crunch time, the ball is in his hands by default because of Woody. If JJ wasn't one of the biggest reasons why we lost, then who is??? Bibby can certainly be blamed as well, but JJ chose to pass him the ball in crunch time for a 3-pointer instead of giving the ball to someone else.

JJ is a big reason why the Hawks lost. When it's crunch time, the ball is in his hands by default because of Woody. If JJ wasn't one of the biggest reasons why we lost, then who is??? Bibby can certainly be blamed as well, but JJ chose to pass him the ball in crunch time for a 3-pointer instead of giving the ball to someone else.

I would certainly start with Bibby and work my way down from there. I mean, Joe had twice as many assists and still managed 15 points. Bibby managed only 5 points and 6 assists-the 6 assists aren't bad, but he was badly shown up by his backcourt mate. And he certainly didn't make any kind of contribution defensively.

After that, I might go to Mike Woodson just on the principle of forcing the ball into JJ and Bibby in the backcourt on a night when neither of them could shoot. Moreover, he didn't put Flip Murray back into the game when it was clear that wasn't working, and he didn't take advantage of Marvin being guarded by LeAndro Barbosa. From a coaching standpoint, we went through such a horrible stretch that you just had to try something else.

After that, you can get on to JJ for having a bad night shooting, and for making a couple of mistakes down the stretch, but he still had a solid performance defensively and distributed the ball well. You'd also need to question why Josh Smith got away from what was working for him offensively during the fourth quarter, where he attempted and missed 3 jump shots, had 2 turnovers, and didn't get to the foul line.