• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Braves get Griffey

NJHAWK

Rotoworld...

"The Seattle Times reports that Ken Griffey Jr. and the Braves have agreed to terms on a one-year contract "worth between $2 and $3 million in total compensation."

Griffey once appeared headed back to the Mariners, but instead opts for the Braves despite a relatively modest payday. Playing in the South may have been the deciding factor for Griffey, who will take over as the Braves' starting left fielder while likely pushing Matt Diaz into a part-time role. While a shell of his former self, Griffey remains productive against right-handed pitching and can be hidden somewhat defensively in a corner spot. Feb. 17 - 1:15 pm et"

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/HeadLines...B&hl=254558

I wish we were smart enough to get Abreu. Although it's a $2-3 million difference, Abreu only signed for $5 million! He is what this team would love to have - RBIs, stolen bases, OBP, etc. But I'll settle with Griffey if we couldn't get Abreu.

Edited by Libid21

I would love to see Griffey Jr. stay healthy to play in games vs. right handed pitching. Say maybe 120 games of Griffey vs. right handed pitching and .280 BA / 15 - 20 HR / 65 - 75 RBI is not out of the realm of possibility. He has struggled vs. lefties for years now but continues to hit righties very well.

Hopefully that knee surgery and the loss of weight means more games. I just worry about him being injured in the field running down a gapper. Those damn hamstring pulls he is known for could derail his season.

Here is to hoping for .280 BA, 15-20 HRs, and 60 - 70 RBIs out of Griffey Jr. With Diaz playing vs. lefties it could be a very good LF situation.

Abreu never gets injured and is one of the most consistent players in the game (in a year-to-year context, he is normally a slow starter and then heats up as the weather does). I think its ridiculous that he didn't get more money.

If the Braves just handed out $2-3 million for a player who will probably only play 100 games, wouldn't you think the extra 60 games and better production during those games be worth $3 million more? I do.

Abreu never gets injured and is one of the most consistent players in the game (in a year-to-year context, he is normally a slow starter and then heats up as the weather does). I think its ridiculous that he didn't get more money.

If the Braves just handed out $2-3 million for a player who will probably only play 100 games, wouldn't you think the extra 60 games and better production during those games be worth $3 million more? I do.

Yeah, but is Bobby Abreau gonna create enough revenue for the Braves to pretty much pay for his salary? I think not. The Braves are gonna get bank off Griffey's name. Junior puts butts in seats and sells merch.

While it's not 100% official yet (despite what the ajc is reporting), I love this in every way. Not only cuz Griff is my favorite non-Braves player of all-time, but it's an all-around win-win for the Bravos.

Yeah, but is Bobby Abreau gonna create enough revenue for the Braves to pretty much pay for his salary? I think not. The Braves are gonna get bank off Griffey's name. Junior puts butts in seats and sells merch.

Really? Is that why in Cincinnati their attendance with Griffey ranked:

10th

13th

12th

8th (new ballpark)

12th

13th

12th

13th

And that is out of 16 teams.

You must be confusing him for when he had his own video games and was actually an All-Star player. He is no more than a good platooner these days. If you put Abreu on the team he is the 2nd best hitter.

I wish we were smart enough to get Abreu. Although it's a $2-3 million difference, Abreu only signed for $5 million! He is what this team would love to have - RBIs, stolen bases, OBP, etc. But I'll settle with Griffey if we couldn't get Abreu.

I don't think this is a case of not being smart enough. It doesn't take a genius to see that .296 with 20 homers is better than .249 with 18 homers, youth aside. Supposedly Abreu chose to sign with LAA over us. I'm surprised they got him for so little (1 yr, 5 mil), but I'm sure that they, having led the AL in wins last season, are a more attractive option than ATL, who finished 4th in the NL East. I'm betting we would've had to significantly outbid LA to land Abreu. I don't think it was just a case of our not wanting to match the 5 mil. In Griffey's case, he's going to take half as much to play for ATL (vs. his Seattle offer), so you have a clear example of one of these guys who's already made his money signing for less for a better chance to win.