• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Diesel's top 5 reason why McDavid is not owner yet

Diesel

• Premium Member

5. McDavid shared his plans to trade all of Atlanta good players with the Mavericks and take back all of the Mavericks Bad Contracts. i.e. Shareef for Wahad/Bradley.

4. All of McDavid's Attorney's have decided to help Bush look for Weapons of Mass Destruction.

3. McDavid tried to buy the Hawks with several Lemons and junk Cars that couldn't pass inspection.

2. David Stern didn't like the idea of Players getting New Car Bonuses for signing with the Hawks.

1. McDavid don't have the money.

Forget the Hawks -- They are about to be history.

No longer will our beloved team be the Hawks.

Soon they will change their name to:

"The Legal Eagles!"

As the supposed sale of this team drags on and on,

there are lawyer fees involved every day. Both the

buyer and the seller will be out enormous amounts of

money in legal fees.

In order to pay these bills, both sides will agree to

simply let the lawyers have 100 % of the stock as

payment for their services. We will be owned by a

group of lawyers and change our team name.

Atlanta's Legal Eagles -- Sounds different, doesn't it.

Think of the possibilities -- Player contracts -- Legal

department -- Front office contracts -- Legal dep.

T.V. contracts -- and it foes on and on.

Go "Legal Eagles!!!"

was telling a bald-faced lie in the paper the other day when he expressed his frustration with the delays in closing on the deal? In the article, which I believe is linked on this very site, he indicates that he doesn't really know why the deal is delayed other than the lawyers keep coming up with reasons not to finalize the deal. Surely if he didn't have the money, he would know. Either he is telling the truth or lying. Obviously, you believe him to be a liar.

See Hotlanta Dude's post which links to the article entitled "McDavid no fan of waiting game."

Do you have some evidence that causes you to doubt his truthfulness or you simply take the word of a moron like Beau Bock?

• Premium Member

I'm not saying for certain that I or anybody but the parties involved know anything specific. However, this is what I know....

1. AOL is keeping 15%.

2. It is said that McDavid wants to finance.

3. It is said that McDavid came to the table with only 95 million for a 400 million dollar deal.

4. In the past, McDavid has only gone after basketball teams... NOT Basketball, Hockey, and the Areana.

5. Recently, McDavid sold out all his shares in the Car business.

You might say, this means nothing... However, considering that the deal should have been done a long time ago and all these other moves.... Don't you think that these are the moves of a man who is short the money?

Secondly, McDavid has to keep a good face for the fans but most of all for the other owners so that they not lose faith in him.

My thinking (Seriously) is that AOL knows that McDavid probably doesn't have the portfolio to impress the NBA. They have added their name like a Co-Signer. Now, they are trying to construct a deal that would allow McDavid to keep his liquid assets and to own the team and make enough profit to eventually buy AOL out.

In reality, I believe it means that if McDavid is made OWNer, then we won't see us going for the BEST players to compete but for a few years, we will make moves to clear up Salary and to bring in a profit from rebates & Arena kickbacks. In other words, I wouldn't be surprised to see us gut the team as it is now. Get a lot of Rookies, ending contracts, and Picks and in the next 2 or 3 years hope for good drafting positions so that we can build a team from the draft.

Why do you think JT hasn't begun negotiations yet. We have a GM. We have the money. Why are we allowing him to sit? I think we have 2 different thoughts. McDavid is probably saying " No" to paying JT. Kasten and Knight are probably saying yes.

It's all a guessing game... But with the clues given, I can give a better guess than "I don't know what my lawyers are doing that's taking so long.". For God Sakes, He's a former Car Salesman. what that means is that Nothing else matters but the sale. You honestly believe McDavid? I mean, his whole life is riding on this deal and do you actually think that he would leave it in his lawyers hands with him sitting by waiting on the outcome....???

Now, my top 5 was simply Jokes... However, if you believe this car salesman and what he just said to you... I have some Beach front property off of Fair St. Atlanta, GA that I can sale to you in the next 24 hours only....

you have no valid sources on your "it is said" comments. It is very common for owners to have other people / companies pay for a share of the franchise then share in the profit. It is also common for owners to finance. Also the moves you claim to be of a man short of money were not carried out by mcdavid but by knight / kasten. They said themselves that in their opinion that they were doing what was best for the team, and only consulted McDavid after they'd already decided to make the moves. So really, you have no evidence of anything other than the deal taking forever. Why pin it on a man you know so little about rather than the AOL conglomerate that we have already seen mismanage the team for a long time? It is much more likely that the holdouts are due to the complexity of the deal and AOL's incompetance in my mind. Also McDavid has never gone for a 2 team + arena deal but how many people have? My guess would be not many at all, ever. So that says nothing either. And of course he sold his shares, he's about to buy 2 freakin teams and a new stadium! I'm guessing a large portion of his money was in his car business, and now he is using it...

Consider this scenario:

they've known all summer mcdavid would have decision making power when he takes over. Due to the multi-team purchase + a stadium and AOL's idiocy it is taking forever. They haven't wanted to make moves until the new guy takes over. They don't want to make decisions when they are days away from new ownership. They announced last week the deal was all but done and that the NBA should approve it soon. So they are waiting for McDavid to officially be in power to make sure he has a say in the acquisition of free agents and the negotiations with JT, they don't want to make moves that will [censored] him off. Of course we'll resign JT, but at what price?

This whole scenario is most likely what is happening, and says nothing of how McDavid will run the franchise, or anything about his wallet. You have no way of knowing that this isn't the case, yet you state your speculations as if they were fact. Face it, you don't know what's going on no matter how much you post about it, all you have is random tidbits of information and hearsay that you're piecing together to try to support your guesses

We also know that McDavid expressed interest early in getting a group of local investors to invest in the team, so AOL keeping 15% of the team is no surprise.

What we also know is that McDavid has studied the models of Mark Cuban, Arthur Blank, and Tom Hicks. Now tell me. Which of those three gutted their team?

All three are relatively big spenders in their teams. It's harder to determine this with Blank, since the NFL has a much better salary structure than either baseball, basketball, or hockey, but Blank didn't hesitate to give Peerless Price big money this offseason (I happen to feel Price without Moulds will be like Harper without Irvin, but that's another story).

There is no evidence that shows McDavid will gut this team. In fact, the fact that McDavid called expressing concern over what the team may be without Robinson when that deal was made shows that he isn't interested in gutting the team. He's interested in making the playoffs.

I think the delays are likely more AOL's fault than David McDavid's fault.

• Premium Member

If the deal was A DONE DEAL and the money was there, then AOL would have no problem letting McDavid make crucial decisions. However, he is not.

BTW. You say it's common practice for a corporation or a conglumarate to pay for shares of a company and then share in it's profits.

However, how many of those companies are 26 million dollars in debt and are selling off pieces of the corporation to save money?? IF AOL were really interested in making a profit from the Hawks, they would NOT even sell the Phil and the Hawks. As I have told you several times (and this is totally verifyable) the Phil has a kick back from the city of Atlanta that will pay for the Hawks franchise every year if managed right. Also, the League gives a rebate to every team that stays under the salary cap. It is believed that for the past few years, Sterling with LAC has managed to profit up to 211 million dollars in rebates.

What that really means is that owning the Hawks basketball team and Phil could be a CASH COW. If AOL was interested in Profits, they'd put somebody in place who will cut salary. Gut the team down to rookies and second year players. Hire a Head Coach who will cost less than a Million per year..... What a minute... Isn't that what we're doing now??

Seriously though.... The time that it's taking to complete the deal suggests that something is not right. It's been 3 months.... How much haggling do you think his lawyers are doing. And if he is such a big spender, why are they haggling?

• Premium Member

There might be no proof that McDavid will gut this team. But he was a part of an ownership that gutted the Mavs. Even if he was a minority owner, his words doesn't suggest that he put up a big fight to keep JJ, JKidd, and JMash in Dallas.

Secondly.

What's causing the Holdup KB? Do you really believe that McDavid is allowing Lawyers to determine his life while he does nothing but sit on the sideline. He seems like too much of a micromanager to allow that to happen. And if he is not a micromanager. If he is not someone who wants to be involved in every detail...

Then he is NOT like Blank and Cuban and Hicks.

I can't lie, it would be nice to have Cuban as owner. He understands what it takes to get people to come out and support his team. Will McDavid be that kind of owner?? I don't know but thus far, he's selling lemons.

If you want to credit him with gutting the Mavs, then you have to credit him for making the Mavs what they are today as well. Steve Nash was acquired while he was a minority owner. Michael Finley was acquired while he was a minority owner. Dirk Nowitzki was drafted while he was a minority owner. Don Nelson was hired while he was a minority owner. Cuban didn't come in until those three were already in place.

But, I feel McDavid had about as much influence in that as he did in the decision to move Kidd, Jackson, and Mashburn. NONE. Which is why he sold his part of the team to Mark Cuban in the first place.

The fact remains that he has to have the lawyers look over the deal. When you are dealing with AOL, you better have a lawyer look over everything. AOL has done nothing but mismanage their company and compile a $26 billion debt. McDavid needs his lawyers to make sure there is no attempts at screwing him over.

• Premium Member

Actually, Dirk was drafted By Nellie while Cuban was there. In fact, Nellie made a lot of moves for Foriegn players and everybody thought he was crazy.

It's very easy for McDavid to claim he didn't make decisions. However, Perot Jr nor Zuchelli were basketball men. I think they may have leaned on McDavid's knowledge. And reports are that the Mavs were so money starved that they wouldn't even sign 10 day contracts.... so they wouldn't suit up 12 on many occassions. That's Clipper cheap.

Maybe McDavid does have Deep pockets... However, why is it that he has been turned down by:

Dallas Stars

Charlotte Hornets.

Charlotte Sting

Orlando Magic

Milwaukee Bucks

and another hockey team for ownership.

Out of them all, the Stars make the most interesting case. They basically said that the owner of the Stars would need to have deep pockets (that was only a 200 million dollar deal.) so as not to end up like San Jose.