• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Falcons officially end courtship of LJ Smith

coachx

http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-falcons-blog/...t-a-ring-on-it/

LJ Smith had a meeting with Atlanta a couple of weeks ago. Now the talks are over. Have fun in Detroit LJ......you should have taken the offer when it was on the table.

Makes you think if Pettigrew falls to us he is the 1st round choice. He is one tough blocker. He was dominating 1st round LB talent at senior bowl practice on pass rush / blocking drills.

Edited by coachx

I want the Falcons to get Ingram out of Florida for TE.

I would rather go defense in rounds 1 and 2 and wait till round #3 for a TE like Ingram or Coffman.

Round #1 - I want a CB (Smith or Butler) or a S (Delmas)

Round #2 - I want Brace, 330 lb run stuffing DT

I want the Falcons to get Ingram out of Florida for TE.

I agree, Defense firt 2 rounds and round 3 will be a great spot to pick up a TE. Jared Cook in round 3 would be a major steal. Ingram I like in round 4 or 5. I wouldn't reach for the TE though, should be able to get one in round 4 or 5.

I'm elated we didn't take L.J. Smith. He is very average, at best. Not particularly tough, dependable, and has injury concerns. I'm also glad we had nothing to do with Haynesworth and Peppers. Same problems as the above player, not to mention both are wildly overpriced.

Good pickup in Peterson, though. His reputation is solid around the league. After last season's decisions, whatever Dimitroff says or does, I'll co-sign. The players at tight end and corner that the Falcons are projected to be interested in (I know absolutely nothing about collegiate sports) looked good in the film clips.

Now that the overpriced, overrated busts are taken or we have no need for their position, I'm confident Dimitroff and Smith will fill in the holes we have, although unlike most, I hold great promise for Fudge, Grimes, Jackson, and Houston, if not quite this upcoming season, definately 2010. With big-name recievers available left and right (Holt is the best of his era in my opinion, although he may be losing a little), does anyone think we'd take the slightest look at a veteran reciever, because I am not satisfied with Jenkins' mediocrity, Robinson's injuries, and Finneran's limitations.

I hold great promise for Fudge, Grimes, Jackson, and Houston, if not quite this upcoming season, definately 2010. With big-name recievers available left and right (Holt is the best of his era in my opinion, although he may be losing a little), does anyone think we'd take the slightest look at a veteran reciever, because I am not satisfied with Jenkins' mediocrity, Robinson's injuries, and Finneran's limitations.

I basically see the opposite. I like our recievers but think the CB position is where we need help.

I don't know about "great promise." If they were "great" we would have seen it by now. They are all solid guys but none are "great" or #1 CB material.

Houston is solid but has below average ball skills. He will never be a #1 corner b/c he alwayse plays the man rather then the ball. This causes a lot of pass interference penalties. When you look back for the ball you are normally not penalized since the DB can bump the reciever when he is looking at, and going for the ball.

Grimes is a hustler but is physically limited. He is a good matchup vs. little guys like D. Jackson and S. Smith but useless vs. revievers over 6'.

Jackson is a solid cover 2 corner. Just can't man him up vs. fast recievers. He is ideal to cover the big, possesions recievers. Could be a FS one day.

I like our recievers. White, Jenkins, Douglas, and Finneran are solid group of 4. Just give Ryan a TE to balance out the offense. TD kept this them all together b/c he likes this WR group, so I trust him here.

Edited by coachx

I too am glad that we didn't sign LJ Smith.

In terms of the first round, I would rather the team go WLB or DT, then Safety, then OT. Yes, Offensive tackle. The Falcons really need a guy to play RT. While Dahl is a mean SOB, he isn't that good. Look at the splits in yards gained by the Falcons. The right side of the line produced 1 yard less per carry than the left side. This indicates that the guard isn't getting the push he needs at the point of attack.

Selecting a RT would allow Clabo to move to his more natural position of RG, thus improving the line.

That all said, I still think this team is in desperate need of an impact WLB. They need a guy that will make plays behind the LOS and can disrupt the passing game while in space. Great LB can really change a game and make offenses account for them. This helps in both the run and pass defense. The same can be said of great line play, but in this draft the chances of getting an impact DT are small. The linebacker group seems to have more depth and the chances fo a good one falling to 24 are much greater than getting a true impact DT at 24.

I too am glad that we didn't sign LJ Smith.

In terms of the first round, I would rather the team go WLB or DT, then Safety, then OT. Yes, Offensive tackle. The Falcons really need a guy to play RT. While Dahl is a mean SOB, he isn't that good. Look at the splits in yards gained by the Falcons. The right side of the line produced 1 yard less per carry than the left side. This indicates that the guard isn't getting the push he needs at the point of attack.

Selecting a RT would allow Clabo to move to his more natural position of RG, thus improving the line.

That all said, I still think this team is in desperate need of an impact WLB. They need a guy that will make plays behind the LOS and can disrupt the passing game while in space. Great LB can really change a game and make offenses account for them. This helps in both the run and pass defense. The same can be said of great line play, but in this draft the chances of getting an impact DT are small. The linebacker group seems to have more depth and the chances fo a good one falling to 24 are much greater than getting a true impact DT at 24.

What outside linebacker would you like to take at 24? I assume Cushing is gone.

What outside linebacker would you like to take at 24? I assume Cushing is gone.

Stimtim from UVA really seems like a playmaker and would provide speed and strength on the weak side.

Option 2, is Matthews Jr., who could come in and play the SAM and that puts Petterson over at WILL.

I wouldn't be disappointed to see the Falcons take Jerry at DT or Delmas as a safety, either.

Stimtim from UVA really seems like a playmaker and would provide speed and strength on the weak side.

Option 2, is Matthews Jr., who could come in and play the SAM and that puts Petterson over at WILL.

I wouldn't be disappointed to see the Falcons take Jerry at DT or Delmas as a safety, either.

I think they might need to go secondary with the 1st pick. Delmas or a corner like a Sean Smith. If they feel their is a no. 1 corner at the 24 spot they should probalby take him. Then in the 2nd there should be some guys who slip that can help at DT's maybe Maloa or a good OLB in the 2nd round. There are quite a few good safety prospects in the 2nd, Chung, and R. Johnson with Alabama. Jerry in round 1 wouldn't be the end of the world. I think whichever they pick they are going to have good options in round 2.

Funny how we see these names floating around and we will probably get a curveball on draft day. Ala Harry Douglass.

Hawk88

I keep reading that TE is a huge need for the falcons but I dont think the team sees it that way. I seem to remember when our OC was in Pittsburg they didnt utilize the TE in the passing game very much. Peele did a fine job for us last yr anyway. Now, in no way do I see him as an upfield receiving TE he will suffice for now. I would much rather use that 1st rd pick(2nd and 3rd too) on defense. We desperatley need a DB, DT, LB. For me, if our 1st 3 picks are Cushing, Brace and Allen(somewhat of a homer pick there) I would be beyond thrilled.

Didn't we draft a TE out of GA? Is he still on the team? Was he hurt last year.

Martez Milner.

He could not stay healthy and was cut early last season. He had bad hands any way. (Good speed but bad hands.)

Pope is a FA TE. he is 6'7'' and played for the Cardinals the last 2 years. He is huge but still not a great blocker.

There are plenty of H-back style TEs like, a Dallas Clark, we can draft in rounds 3 or 4. (Ingram, Nelson, Casey, Beckum, Coffman,). They just can't run block and would only be used on obvious passing downs. Cook will probably be gone in round #2.

Coffman has the size to be a blocker. He played in a spread and never got the chance to run block out of a traditional formation. Not sure if he has a mean streak or not to mix it up with DEs and LBs.

Ingram has the strength to block but his injury history kind of scares you if he is going to be asked to block in the trenches. He was only healthy enough to get 6 career starts at Florida due to injury. When healthy he is special but 6 starts in 4 years is a red flag if you have ever seen one.

Nelson, Casey, and Beckum are basically over sized recievers.

Ryan would makes any of them look good on 3rd and long. Just don't have them out there on 3rd and 1 to block any one.

We desperatley need a DB, DT, LB. For me, if our 1st 3 picks are Cushing, Brace and Allen(somewhat of a homer pick there) I would be beyond thrilled.

That would be a sweet draft !

2nd and 3rd round steals !

I am hoping a 3-4 drefense does not reach for the 330 lb Brace to fill the NT position. If he falls to us in the 2nd its a no brainer.

Allen will be a good NFL corner with very good ball skills and quick feet. Teams were scared to throw his way even with a cast on his broken hand.