• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Rejecting the whole notion of Bad on the Road.

Diesel

• Premium Member

i reject the notion that we get on the road and are different.

I think the real culprit is that we are injured on the road.

We hold wins at N.O., at Miami, at Indy, & at Detroit.

Most of the losses we have on the road is during periods of us having an injured player.

Even our first road loss to Boston, we loss by 1 point.

Between Bibby's sick, Josh's high ankle sprain (and really Josh hasn't been the same since) and Horf's injury.. .we haven't fielded a healthy team on the floor yet. Moreover, I wouldn't use Cleveland as the barometer for if we have a good road team. Cleveland has only lost one game at home (and that was against the Lakers).

Diesel: I agree & disagree.

How? True, the Hawks haven't been 100% healthy in these losses. That should

make a difference. To be, as the Army add says, "Be all that you can be" this

team must have all hands healthy.

On the other hand, I must agree with Hotlanta, we shouldn't expect to be blown

away in any game. The Cavs have lost only one home game. They jumped on our

bones to open the game. Fouls, whether deserved or not, quickly mounted against

the Hawks and BOOM, we were in such a hole there was no hope for recovery.

Tec fouls were called. That added to the final score. Were the Hawks getting bad

calls? Or, were they crying and whining for nothing? Horford said the Hawks should

just shut up and play ball. True, that would have prevented the tec. fouls, but that

is hard to do when you feel that you have been done wrong.

Too many blow out games on the road. Too many great wins at home. If I knew

the answer as to why, I would share this great secret with the Hawks and put a

stop to these road woes.

:computer8:

Yeah man we are just terrible. Im telling you guys, its mental. We have to get over that mental block and KNOW we can win on the road instead of hoping we can.

I think the real culprit is that we are injured on the road.

Diesel: In all due respect, injuries isn't the main reason we perform not so well on the road.

The inability for the Hawks team to channel their emotions and focus is the real culprit. Marvin wouldn't have made a real difference on the road because has never shown leadership in adverse situations. I thought Acie being in college for four years would come in and transition better and give us that Chauncey Billups-type effort in making perimeter shots and providing another strong guard in the backcourt, but it hasn't materialized. And Josh Smith's on-court pouting is disappointing to say the least.

The Hawks must adopt a "us against the world" collective mindset... I can't stand Duke, but they are one of the most hated teams, but they play with a chip on their shoulder in a CONSTRUCTIVE way...and NBA teams such as Bird Celtic teams of the 1980's or Isiah's/Mahorn Bad Boy teams of the 1980's and the Billups-led Pistons had a similar aura.

Lebron has that "us against the world" mindset and is able to get his teammates to buy into it. Mo Williams has really RAISED his level and is a consistent threat on the road and at home.. I would like to see Marvin or Acie raise their playing level as well.

It's not physical (injuries), it's mental..

We're bad on the road because not enough of our guys haven't been able to channel their emotions and play with a chip on the shoulder in a constructive way.

Bibby needs to play better. He was part of the Sacramento Kings who couldn't get past the Lakers (and Shaq called 'Queens') in an effort to get in their heads. Webber was a great talent, but couldn't hit free throws. Bibby make untimely errors and hits cold streaks shooting...is it nerves?

Hawks can’t let loss spoil attitude

Back to business: Four-game homestand includes Celtics, Lakers and Spurs.

By Sekou Smith

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Monday, March 23, 2009

All it took was one lousy quarter of basketball to remind the Hawks that they are only as good as their last showing.

Twelve miserable minutes in Cleveland, the opening 12 minutes of Saturday’s loss to the league-leading Cavaliers, helped end two weeks’ worth of work.

Now that their seven-game win streak has been halted, the Hawks return home to the scene of past successes eager to start another streak.

They face Minnesota tonight, the first game of a four-game set that includes visits from three of the league’s top teams. San Antonio will be here Wednesday, Boston on Friday and the Los Angeles Lakers on Sunday, making it impossible for the Hawks to breathe easy anytime soon.

“You have to wrap your head around the fact that this [was] just one game and that just like our seven straight wins didn’t help us against Cleveland, one loss doesn’t mean the end of the world either,” Hawks center Al Horford said after Saturday’s loss. “We played great basketball up to this point, and we’ll do it again. We just have focus on Minnesota and get back home and get back to doing the thing that made us successful [during that homestand].”

If he means playing defense with a rabid intensity —- during their win streak the Hawks held all seven opponents under 100 points —- that’s exactly what the Hawks plan on doing.

And if he means he and Josh Smith returning to their swashbuckling ways in the paint —- they both averaged double-doubles during the Hawks’ seven-game homestand —- that’s exactly what he and Smith plan on doing.

“We got knocked off track a little bit by a great team,” Smith said of the Cavaliers. “In the past, we were the kind of team that would let one little setback get us in a funk. We’re not that team anymore. We’ve moved on from there. Plus, we’re like Cleveland in terms of how we play on our home floor. We don’t think anybody can beat us [there] when we’re on our game.”

Cleveland (32-1) and Boston (28-6) are the only teams in the Eastern Conference with better home records than the Hawks, who are 27-7 at Philips Arena this season.

There’s a reason for the Hawks’ bravado when they’re in town.

Hawks assistant coach Larry Drew finished the Cleveland game at the helm after Mike Woodson was ejected in the third quarter. He was adamant about the Hawks brushing off the stain of Saturday’s loss in time for tonight’s game against the Timberwolves.

“We’re going to learn from what we did wrong and then put it as far back behind us as we can and make sure we’re ready for the next one,” Drew said. “That’s what we’ve preached to our players all year long. And we’re not going to stray from that now.”

Hawks can’t let loss spoil attitude

Back to business: Four-game homestand includes Celtics, Lakers and Spurs.

By Sekou Smith

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Monday, March 23, 2009

All it took was one lousy quarter of basketball to remind the Hawks that they are only as good as their last showing.

Twelve miserable minutes in Cleveland, the opening 12 minutes of Saturday’s loss to the league-leading Cavaliers, helped end two weeks’ worth of work.

Now that their seven-game win streak has been halted, the Hawks return home to the scene of past successes eager to start another streak.

They face Minnesota tonight, the first game of a four-game set that includes visits from three of the league’s top teams. San Antonio will be here Wednesday, Boston on Friday and the Los Angeles Lakers on Sunday, making it impossible for the Hawks to breathe easy anytime soon.

“You have to wrap your head around the fact that this [was] just one game and that just like our seven straight wins didn’t help us against Cleveland, one loss doesn’t mean the end of the world either,” Hawks center Al Horford said after Saturday’s loss. “We played great basketball up to this point, and we’ll do it again. We just have focus on Minnesota and get back home and get back to doing the thing that made us successful [during that homestand].”

If he means playing defense with a rabid intensity —- during their win streak the Hawks held all seven opponents under 100 points —- that’s exactly what the Hawks plan on doing.

And if he means he and Josh Smith returning to their swashbuckling ways in the paint —- they both averaged double-doubles during the Hawks’ seven-game homestand —- that’s exactly what he and Smith plan on doing.

“We got knocked off track a little bit by a great team,” Smith said of the Cavaliers. “In the past, we were the kind of team that would let one little setback get us in a funk. We’re not that team anymore. We’ve moved on from there. Plus, we’re like Cleveland in terms of how we play on our home floor. We don’t think anybody can beat us [there] when we’re on our game.”

Cleveland (32-1) and Boston (28-6) are the only teams in the Eastern Conference with better home records than the Hawks, who are 27-7 at Philips Arena this season.

There’s a reason for the Hawks’ bravado when they’re in town.

Hawks assistant coach Larry Drew finished the Cleveland game at the helm after Mike Woodson was ejected in the third quarter. He was adamant about the Hawks brushing off the stain of Saturday’s loss in time for tonight’s game against the Timberwolves.

“We’re going to learn from what we did wrong and then put it as far back behind us as we can and make sure we’re ready for the next one,” Drew said. “That’s what we’ve preached to our players all year long. And we’re not going to stray from that now.”

Ok. Baby steps I see. We're finally at the point where we believe we can beat anyone on our home court. That shows the progression of the team over the last few years. it's also showing that we have absolutely no confidence on the road. I guess that's the goal for next year. I can see why winning on the road is the next progression of the team. Going back to Boston in the playoffs last year, and the losing record on the road this year, it's apparent where the Hawks need to improve. If and when the Hawks show consistency of winning away from Phillips, they can be considered one of the best in the East...we're just not there yet.

Houston 16-17

Portland 13-19

Utah 13-20

Dallas 16-19

Miami 12-19

Philadelphia 13-17

What do all of these teams have in common with the Hawks? They are all over .500, would be in the playoffs today, but have losing records on the road. Not included is Denver which is 17-17 on the road. I wouldn't call any of the teams above as bad. I wouldn't call them great either. They are good. They protect their home court. As irresponsible as it is to call the Hawks world beaters because they have a solid home record, it is equally irresponsible to call them a bad team because they lose on the road. Look, we're just one year removed from making the playoffs. We're still learning how to win. We learned how to win at home and now we have to learn on the road. It's a progression. People are drinking too much of John Kincade's Kool-Aid.

Diesel's hypocrisy never ceases to amaze me. He wants to use injuries as the excuse for our road losses but if anyone mentions other teams' injuries as a reason for our wins Diesel goes into a tizzy.

Sorry Double_Standard_Man, you can't have it both ways.

Houston 16-17

Portland 13-19

Utah 13-20

Dallas 16-19

Miami 12-19

Philadelphia 13-17

What do all of these teams have in common with the Hawks? They are all over .500, would be in the playoffs today, but have losing records on the road. Not included is Denver which is 17-17 on the road. I wouldn't call any of the teams above as bad. I wouldn't call them great either. They are good. They protect their home court. As irresponsible as it is to call the Hawks world beaters because they have a solid home record, it is equally irresponsible to call them a bad team because they lose on the road. Look, we're just one year removed from making the playoffs. We're still learning how to win. We learned how to win at home and now we have to learn on the road. It's a progression. People are drinking too much of John Kincade's Kool-Aid.

First of all, where did you get those road records?

A) Houston is 18-17 on the road.

B) Portland is 16-20 on the road.

C) Dallas is 17-20 on the road

D) Miami is 13-21 on the road.

E) Philadelphia is 15-19 on the road.

In addition, we have a worse road record than every other team listed except Miami, and only Utah and Portland have better home records than we do.

• Premium Member
Diesel's hypocrisy never ceases to amaze me. He wants to use injuries as the excuse for our road losses but if anyone mentions other teams' injuries as a reason for our wins Diesel goes into a tizzy.

Sorry Double_Standard_Man, you can't have it both ways.

Aren't you being just as hypocritical when you preach the other team is injured, the other team is injured but then you ignore when we are injured?

Good Call Pot.

First of all, where did you get those road records?

A) Houston is 18-17 on the road.

B) Portland is 16-20 on the road.

C) Dallas is 17-20 on the road

D) Miami is 13-21 on the road.

E) Philadelphia is 15-19 on the road.

In addition, we have a worse road record than every other team listed except Miami, and only Utah and Portland have better home records than we do.

I got it off of ESPN.com this morning. Even if Houston's is now over .500, the fact remains several teams that could be considered "good" have bad road records.

Aren't you being just as hypocritical when you preach the other team is injured, the other team is injured but then you ignore when we are injured?

Good Call Pot.

You can't find one post where i have ignored our injuries. You are just making up a strawman to deflect attention from your hypocrisy.

My view has always been that injuries should be looked at for both teams. Your view is that only the Hawks injuries matter. It doesn't matter if the other teams have injuries.

You have constantly refused to acknowlege that other teams injuries matter, once going so far as to say it didn't matter if we were playing "Melo and his Mama" as long as we win. And now you want to use injuries as a reason we have a bad road record.

:nono:

• Premium Member
What's the difference between us and Orlando (considered possibly the best team in the East) ?

I'll give you a hint, we have the exact same records at home.

Well, they've got the best big man in the League and a coach that may be better than ours.

• Premium Member
You can't find one post where i have ignored our injuries. You are just making up a strawman to deflect attention from your hypocrisy.

My view has always been that injuries should be looked at for both teams. Your view is that only the Hawks injuries matter. It doesn't matter if the other teams have injuries.

You have constantly refused to acknowlege that other teams injuries matter, once going so far as to say it didn't matter if we were playing "Melo and his Mama" as long as we win. And now you want to use injuries as a reason we have a bad road record.

:nono:

Uhm, Gord...

We're injured now... and I'm saying that our team isn't as bad on the road as our record. Point is that I think when you consider who was injured and how long it took us to get over their injuries... that's what matters. I don't acknowledge the other teams injuries because like I always say.. A win is a win is a win. You seem to be the only one that comes to this board trying to make excuses for the other team. Reading your posts, you would think that all the Hawks victories should have asterisks by them. You sir are the most hypocritical person that posts here. As much as you harp on how "the only reason we won is because ____________ was not playing".. for you to say that you consider Hawks injuries in losses is a straight LIE.

Uhm, Gord...

We're injured now... and I'm saying that our team isn't as bad on the road as our record. Point is that I think when you consider who was injured and how long it took us to get over their injuries... that's what matters. I don't acknowledge the other teams injuries because like I always say.. A win is a win is a win.

Like i said you couldn't find one post where i ignored the Hawks injuries.

Secondly you say that our injuries on the road are what matter while the injuries to other teams are irrelevant.

Thanks for proving my point.

Edited by exodus

• Premium Member
Like i said you couldn't find one post where i ignored the Hawks injuries.

Secondly you say that our injuries on the road are what matter while the injuries to other teams are irrelevant.

Thanks for proving my point.

http://www.hawksquawk.net/community/index....awks+rebounding

The hawks are playing poorly and have been for some time. It might look good being 4th place in the east but the teams right behind the Hawks are tanking too. It isn't like the Hawks are running away. The Hawks have the 12th best record in the NBA and are fading fast.

They have played one of the easiest schedules in the NBA so far even without considering the opponents injuries. When you consider the opponents injuries the Hawks have been very lucky. Even after the beak they went 3 straight games without having to face the opponents starting centers (Oden, Bynum and Miller).

I really thought they would play with more intensity after the break. Nope.

The Hawks road futility has no relevance with regards to the difficulty of our schedule relative to other teams. Just because the Hawks suck on the road doesn't mean the Hawks have one of the toughest schedules in the league. It just means the Hawks suck on the road.

Lots of talk about our injuries in that exchange huh?

Exodus ignores the injured again.

Should I bring out the hawks vs. Denver thread... We lost that game in Denver by 1 point and you griped over and over again about our rebounding and failed to acknowledge that Josh Smith was out.

You see Ex, when it comes to our team, you don't even acknowledge that we have injured players before you just jump on this and that. I find it hilarious that you would even dare anybody to find a post of you ignoring injury. You have never acknowledged any injuries other than our opponents.

Should I bring out the hawks vs. Denver thread... We lost that game in Denver by 1 point and you griped over and over again about our rebounding and failed to acknowledge that Josh Smith was out.

Smith's rebounding has been his big weak spot all season. Our rebounding has sucked even with him in the game.

Denver was also without Nene in case you forgot.

LOL @ your quotes talking about the schedule. Injuries have no relevance to the schedule genius.

:jeer: