• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Stat Du Jour: Saved By The Three?

lethalweapon3

• Moderators

Our Fine-Feathered Friends were mired among the bottom dwellers in 3-point shooting before the All-Star break. Even WITH Josh Smith’s well-intended contributions, the Hawks shot less than any team in the league from behind the arc… and apparently with good reason. For these mostly lottery-bound squads, one out of three ain’t bad.

Pre-All-Star Break: 5 WORST 3-Point Shooting Teams

30th - Sixers: 31.5 pct (3.6 FGM/11.5 FGA)

29th - HAWKS, THE BRICK FACTORY: 32.3 pct (3.7/11.3)

28th - Twolves: 33.1 pct (5.4/16.3)

27th - Nets: 33.2 pct (5.6/16.8)

26th - Thunder: 33.3 pct (4.2/12.7)

They have since shot the ball quite a bit more (over 40% more per game) from deep, and are now flying higher, ranking among the league leaders in three-point accuracy after the break.

Post All-Star Break: 5 BEST 3-Point Shooting Teams (before today’s games)

1st – Suns: 41.8 pct (7.6 FGM/18.2 FGA)

2nd – Magic: 41.7 pct (11.0/26.3!)

3rd – Hornets: 39.6 pct (7.5/18.8)

4th – HAWKS, NOW THEY KNOW: 39.3 pct (6.3/16.0)

5th – Bulls: 39.3 pct (6.4/16.4)

What has been the elixir in this area? Is it the home cooking as of late (the All-Star break did include that long road trip where we couldn’t tell whether the Circus was in town or in opponent's arenas). Did certain healthier players make the difference? Or, Gawd forbid, did the coaching staff make adjustments on offense?

~lw3

I could very well be wrong, but you sure all those numbers are correct? And for this season?

I don't think the numbers are correct. We were a top 5 shooting 3pt shooting team for most of the beginning of the season. Bibby, Mo, Flip, JJ and Marvin all have higher three point percentages than 32 (which was what he listed as our team 3pt%), so there's no way IMO. Plus, Josh rarely attempts threes anymore to skew the totals.

• Moderators
I don't think the numbers are correct. We were a top 5 shooting 3pt shooting team for most of the beginning of the season. Bibby, Mo, Flip, JJ and Marvin all have higher three point percentages than 32 (which was what he listed as our team 3pt%), so there's no way IMO. Plus, Josh rarely attempts threes anymore to skew the totals.

All the hints that the #s are wrong (and they ARE wrong) were screaming out at me (11.3 shots per game with Smoove?) while I was prepping for the Lake Show yesterday. I'm peeling the omelette off my face, as I figured out they were 2007-2008 STATS, not this seasons' . My bad! The Bibby factor (and the No More AJ & Lue factor) largely accounted for last year's numbers above.

For what it's worth, here's the links for this season's scenario, where the Hawks are in the bottom 10 in 3FG% after the break (35.6 pct, 6.4 FGM/17.9 FGA) after ranking 11th in 3FG% (and 4th in attempts) pre-break (37.2 pct, 7.8 FGM/20.9 FGA). Claus Von Bulow factor? It is a "reversal of fortune" in the opposite direction, although nowhere near as dramatic as last year. Maybe Woody's making adjustments after all!

Pre-Break 2008-2009

Post-Break 2008-2009

~lw3

Edited by lethalweapon3