• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

1 Day from the draft

coachx

Now that we are 1 day away I'd like to hear who you guys want at pick #24 (within reason of who actually be there at #24. Now that we have solved the TE position it should change up most list.

While I agree with most of you that our most glaring need is at DT I do not see a run stuffing DT worthy of pick #24. Both Hood and Jerry are more effective on run blitzing stunts then smash mouth, in line, run defense where they both get "washed" from the play by collegiate offensive interior lineman. I like Brace but not at #24. B/c of that here are my top #4 and why:

1. Clay Matthews - Lofton and Peterson are both best suited against the run and struggle when having to drop into coverage on passing downs. B/c of that I doubt these 2 play together in the nickle defense on passing downs. Clay Matthews is the best 3rd down OLB in the draft and can also rush the passer. ( AJC loves Cushing but he could not even play 3rd downs for USC in college so what makes you think he can be our 3rd down coverage LB ?)

2. Larry English - I see him growing into a pure 4-3 DE much like John Abraham. What guy better to tutor him then Abraham. English can also line up at OLB, on given situations, if his sole responsibility is pass rushing. He can also line up in Anderson place to get a pass rush going from both sides with Abraham. Ultimate insurance policy for Abraham's health as he ages.

3. Darias Butler - Possibly the best cover corner on the Falcons board (I am betting they took V. Davis off the board for off the field stuff. ) Ran a 4.37 40 yard dash at his pro day and had the best verticle of any player at the combine. Has great hips and can turn and run with recievers out of their breaks on a dime.

4. Alphonso Smith - Best ball skills of any guy in the draft. His 5'9'' height is the only think holding him back. Should be a A. Winfield or D. Bly type of CB (in their primes). Not quite as fast or quick as Butler but his ball skills are unprecided. Had a, unheard of, 27 interceptions in college even though QBs tried not to throw his way.

Of course TD is the man and has the trust of Falcons Nation in whatever he decides to do.

Edited by coachx

Wanted to change my #3 and knock the 2 corners down to #4 & #5.

3. Connor Barwin - much like English but could be better as a OLB then English. Versitillity to play TE in the red zone down the road. Kid has a great motor. Reminds me of a smaller Patrick Kerney and reminds many of Mike Vrable.

Of course TD is the man and has the trust of Falcons Nation in whatever he decides to do.

My top 2nd round guys for #55, in no order (off the top of me head):

Brace DT

Moalla DT

Allen CB

Chung SS

Moore SS

R. Johnson FS / SS

Maliava OLB

Freeman OLB

No more TEs in the 1st and 2nd round list any more.

Edited by coachx

I still think that the Falcons will move the #24 pick. Either trading down for a top of the 2nd round pick and a 3rd round pick this or next year. OR, that interesting trade for Glenn Dorsey.

But trade is still my #1 option.

After that, I don't know. For a while I like Sintim, but now he looks more like an inside guy in a 3-4. Then there was Jerria, but he won't be there at 24.

I agree that Hood looks more like an UT, but given all else, he maybe the best value pick for the Falcons at 24.

As for Cushing, I don't know. The character and steroids accusations make me nervous. I didn't watch any USC games except the one they lost, so I don't have a good take on him.

As much as Matthews looks like a good player, he didn't start until this season. So, if you knock Cushing for not staying on the field for 3rd down, Matthews has to have a red flag for taking so long to get a starting job.

I am not with you on a corner. I just don't see any of these guys as being of equal value as the front 7 players. Getting a pass-rush will help the current corners out immensely. Second, the Falcons were awful against the run. Front 7 is the way to go with the upper level picks.

Lastly, there is Mack. Guy is going to be a solid, if not pro-bowl center.

Beleu on 680 is also suggesting one of the top OTs could drop to 24. This isn't a bad idea as it allows Clabo to move to RG and Dahl becomes a reserve.

The draft is just too flat from around pick 23-35 to get a real feel on what is going to happen.

What do they want for Dorsey. He would be a stud in the middle.

If they want our #24 for Dorsey we would take it and run ! I would give them #24 and #90. Dorsey is made for a 4-3 defense and not the 3-4 they are now using.

Below are all the rumors.

http://arrowheadaddict.com/2009/04/23/rumo...sey-to-falcons/

Rumor: Glenn Dorsey To Falcons?

I just got a tip that on FOX Sports Radio they are reporting that Glenn Dorsey could also be going to the Atlanta Falcons, possibly as part of the Tony Gonzalez deal. We’ve seen something like this before (Vrabel-Cassel trade) from the Chiefs, so it wouldn’t be unprecedented for GM Scott Pioli. For now this is strictly a rumor, but one I felt was worthy of passing along.

Makes since. Maybe we are getting next years #2 for Gonzo, becuase we are getting Falcons #1 this year for Dorsey. Maybe. Rumor mongering at its finest.

ESPN News is reporting another rumor that there is a 3 way trade with Carolina, Atlanta and KC where Atlanta gets Dorsey, and somehow we get Peppers?

There is also reports that KC is getting 2 more 2nd round picks somehow? Just rumors…but MAN!

I think Dorsey could be a beast, but not in a 3-4. Honestly, I’m disappointed they decided to move to a 3-4 and not stay in a 4-3 which would have best utilized his talents. If the Chiefs can get Atlanta’s 1st and 2nd round picks for Dorsey I’d be okay with it. We’d get a chance to obtain a DE that is better suited for a 3-4 and Dorsey would get a chance to showcase his talents in a 4-3 in Atlanta.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/view...c.php?p=7004905

http://forums.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=93&f...1&t=4180813

From Falcons fans:

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=122&f=1699&t=4234880

Edited by coachx

I have not heard that rumor abnout Dorsey but I doubt very seriously it happens, although that would be sweet. I keep reading that we may trade down possibly to the Giants who are looking to get Bey. If we swapped picks with G-men we could still possibly get Davis while picking up a 3rd maybe. I have to say that I trust what this front office to make the right moves as they havent dissapionted us yet.

Surely they are targeting CB, Safety, DL, OLB. with the TG trade they have set themselves up to address these needs. now its just a matter of who is rated highest on their boards. I cant think of a time that I have been more excited to be a Falcon fan. My draft order would be Davis in 1st then william moore in 2nd. I wish Taylor Mays had come out this yr. I think he is the perfect fit as the combo safety falcons want.

If they want our #24 for Dorsey we would take it and run ! I would give them #24 and #90. Dorsey is made for a 4-3 defense and not the 3-4 they are now using.

Below are all the rumors.

http://arrowheadaddict.com/2009/04/23/rumo...sey-to-falcons/

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/view...c.php?p=7004905

http://forums.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=93&f...1&t=4180813

From Falcons fans:

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=122&f=1699&t=4234880

If they are trading Dorsey I wonder about his injury history. Otherwise why would they want to trade him after just one year.

Hawk88

• Premium Member

This is an offensive tackle draft. Early on there will be lots of OT going.

I actually think that Detroit should bypass getting Stafford and get an OT and start suring up that line. It's a shame because the deal is done. Personally, I believe that Culpepper can hold down the QB position (which he may have to do anyway) if they get some OL in detroit. First pick should be Andre Smith out of Alabama. I know that people like Jason Smith and Eugene Monroe better, but Andre Smith played in the SEC, plays 4 position on the OL and is just as good a run blocker as he is a pass blocker. This kid might be better than Orlando Pace.

Aside from the need positions, the best skilled guys are Aaron Curry from Wake Forest and Micheal Crabtree. Crabtree will be a star in this league (despite the speed). Curry is a beast. Dude pushed 225 (33 times) with a broad jump of 10'4" and a 60 yard time of 11:35. Beast.