• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Spin War - Woody Seeks Underdog Status

jhay610

Woody with the self-deprecating opening salvo:

"My guys haven't been battle tested. It's something new for our basketball team."

Spoelstra counters:

"That is a veteran group that has a lot of pride. We know they're going to bounce back and bring their best effort."

The Woodster:

"Hey listen, you've got O'Neal, who's been a six, seven-time All-Star. You've got Haslem, who's played championship basketball. I mean, they've got guys, veteran enough guys that have been through the battles."

Spoelstra again:

We respect them, I'll tell you that," Spoelstra said. "We understand that they can turn it around quickly. After two games last year against Boston, everybody was counting them out and they came storming back in that series. They're an explosive team and they do have experienced players. So do we.

Kind of sad Woody has resorted to damage-control and is trying to spin his way into the underdog role and retroactively lower expectations. No Woody - your guys took the Champs to 7 games last year, returned its core, and earned home-court for the first round. This is your series to win. The Heat have two rookies and a second-year man in their primary rotation.

This gem from Haslem:

Being considered any type of experienced or even finished product drew a grin from Haslem.

"We weren't even here last year," Haslem said of the Heat's idle 2008 postseason after its league-worst 15-67 finish. "This is a different situation for me and Dwyane getting back this year. When we won the (2006) championship, we were kind of following Shaq and Zo and the other guys. For me and Dwyane, it's the first time being here in a leadership role.

"As far as those guys, they have homecourt this year, which they didn't have last year. They also have a year under their belt."

And finally, your ever-confident Fearless Leader:

If we come back and we're able to win tomorrow, then the whole thing shifts back our way, and then we've got to go home and figure out if we can sustain it."

Not exactly a picture of confidence is he?

How is being an all-star battle-tested? I am sick of Woody's excuses. Does any other coach make excuses like Woody?

Makes you wonder if, within the organization, the thinking is we overachieved this year. With Sund's comments prior to the series starting that if we lost it wouldn't be a "total disappointment"...now Woody with damage control/making excuses. It's like we're not supposed to be the fourth seed. We overachieved. It's like we're satisfied with making it to where we did, and we're meant to get beat by Miami.

• Premium Member
How is being an all-star battle-tested? I am sick of Woody's excuses. Does any other coach make excuses like Woody?

I wouldn't say being an allstar makes JO battle tested, but his 70+ playoff games do.

When you consider our bigs, combined they have 30 playoff game experience.

That's not even half of what JO has... not to mention Haslem.

So Woody does have a point, their bigs are more experienced than ours. Josh Smith continues to show his immaturity. All we can do is hope that he matures. From trying to "take over" a game to whining about Calls, Josh Smith is killing us... but I attribute a lot of that back to coaching. This virus Josh Smith was created by Woody. We love Josh when he's playing "the right way"... however, he plays the wrong way far too often.

• Moderators

Here is ESPN's Marc Stein's take:

Greg (Cedar Rapids, IA): MIke Woodson's recent comments about his guys not being 'battle tested' sound like someone who's more preoccupied with avoiding a pink slip than advancing to the second round. Is he gone if the Hawks lose?

SportsNation Marc Stein: Agree with you on Part A. I reserve judgment on Part B because forecasting how the Hawks' owners will respond to a first-round ouster is a sport unto itself. But I do expect to see Avery Johnson in the mix for that job if it does come open.

That is pathetic. Man up.

I've been saying for years that he was incapable of that. Seems more and more people are seeing the light about Mike Woodson. He's just a joke of a coach and his resume is disgusting if you take away the chump change years with Larry Brown, Chauncey, Rip and Sheed. Should have never been interviewed, much less hired. Only a few more years, guys. No hurries, players don't age or anything, right?