• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Question of the day.

Diesel

• Premium Member

What would have happened if....

Marvin would have stayed in College for 4 years?

There's lots of land to cover on this one, so I want Hawksquawk to turn their minds on. But just to give some help:

UNC would have .....

Marvin would have ......

The Hawks would have .....

I think if that was the case then we would have definitely drafted Deron Wiliiams. We were high on him, I heard rumblings on NBA tv that day heading towards the late stages before the draft started that the Hawks were thing Deron but I guess since Marv was available we went with BK's favorite position the SF.

• Premium Member
Like Jimmi Hindrex said: If six were nine?

No.. this is not a wish list..

I just think there are interesting implications...

I think Marvin would be a better basketball player. I think Tyler Hansbrough would not have been National player of the year... I think UNC would have won the championship last year. I think Ty Lawson would have come out last year.

I think the Hawks would have drafted Deron or Paul.

I think we would have still brought in JJ.

I don't think we would have been in a position to draft Shelden or Horf.

I don't think it would have taken us long to get to the playoffs. However, I think it would have been difficult for us to get a Franchise big.

I don't think we would be playing Iso Joe.

I think Woody would have been fired.

BK would still be the GM.

I don't know if Marvin would have been drafted ahead of Oden and Durant? I leaning towards no. I think Marvin would have been drafted ahead of Horf.

Florida doesn' t win it's National Title.

WHAT IF:

Josh Smith had spent 4 years in school. He would have been a rookie this year!

If all our draft picks had 4 years in school, things would look a lot different with

our players now, wouldn't it.

:snowballfight:

• Premium Member
WHAT IF:

Josh Smith had spent 4 years in school. He would have been a rookie this year!

If all our draft picks had 4 years in school, things would look a lot different with

our players now, wouldn't it.

:snowballfight:

Mule, you're stealing my questions...

:conversation:

• Premium Member
UNC would have ..... most likely won another chip.

Marvin would have ...... been alot more ready for the NBA

The Hawks would have ..... drafted Chris Paul and been on their way to winning a championship

Do you think Joe, Smoove, and CP3 is the mixture that gets us a championship?

I don't know what Bigs we would have gotten. We would not have been in the lottery. For argument sake, let's say we could have gotten Hilton Armstrong. Do you think that spells championship (with Woody coaching)?

I like how you guys think we would win a championship with Paul by now... In reality we would be about same as we are today

Paul

Joe

Chill

Smoove

Zaza

We would still have a weak bench..

Are we really that much better than the Hornets line up?

Paul

Peterson

Stojakovic

West

Chandler

They have Posey, Amstrong, Wright, Butler, Brown of the bench and we know how weak our bench is...

We would be better offensively no question, but we would still be behind Boston, Magic and the Cavs in the East.. Paul got outplayed by Billups in the 1st round btw...

What would have happened if....

Marvin would have stayed in College for 4 years?

There's lots of land to cover on this one, so I want Hawksquawk to turn their minds on. But just to give some help:

UNC would have .....

Marvin would have ......

The Hawks would have .....

UNC would have..... I don't give a damn.

Marvin would have.....gotten better and gone #4 in the 2008 draft to his home town team that is no longer there. Oh the irony.

Hawks would have.... picked either Deron or Chris. We still would have picked Shelden because he would have fell to us no matter where we picked. The only thing we would be missing is Horford and that pick probably would have went to Phoenix that year. The money we spent on Bibby probably would have been spent on a big instead, but there's no telling who that player would be. Hopefully he would have been worthwhile. or the 08 pick would have got us one of the lopez brothers.

Getting paul or deron means no Marvin and Horford.

Paul/Deron +Unknown big vs. Marvin and Horford. I would say we would be better because Paul alone is almost more of a difference maker than Marvin and Horford right now.

We start 05 with Joe, Paul if we pick him(Deron didn't start his rookie year), and Al Harrington as our main cogs. With ZaZa and Josh finishing off the starting five. Harrington is resigned because no Marvin and either we continue with Zaza or find a big good enough to move him to the bench.

08 squad comparisons

Paul

Joe

Harrington

Smoove

Pachulia

or

Bibby

Joe

Marvin

Smoove

Horford

I think i like the first squad more but like previously said, we still don't make it past Cleveland. This offseason Paul costs more than Marvin but still not more than the previous Bibby years. Harringington is 10 mil.

Damn, i can't save this so I'll have to finish later.

I like how you guys think we would win a championship with Paul by now... In reality we would be about same as we are today

Paul

Joe

Chill

Smoove

Zaza

We would still have a weak bench..

Are we really that much better than the Hornets line up?

Paul

Peterson

Stojakovic

West

Chandler

They have Posey, Amstrong, Wright, Butler, Brown of the bench and we know how weak our bench is...

We would be better offensively no question, but we would still be behind Boston, Magic and the Cavs in the East.. Paul got outplayed by Billups in the 1st round btw...

Well to be fair Paul was banged up going into the playoffs but we are overlooking a very glaring fact....Paul is surrounded by shooters in NOLA. Of course you can look like a world beater when you can throw the ball up to a 7 footer that can jump out of the gym, play pick and pop/roll with a forward, IMO, that has the deadliest 15 footer in the league, and be able to slash without having to worry about extra defenders collapsing on the paint because their assignments are pinpoint shooters from range, allowing you to finish at the rim despite your lack of size.

Had Paul been in a starting lineup with Smoove, Chill, and Zaza he would not be anywhere as great as he is now. He would spend more games on the IL due to the pounding he'd take in the paint due to lack of shooting/spacing and his assists numbers would not be as high. All of this is before even considering Woody's coaching.

• Premium Member
Well to be fair Paul was banged up going into the playoffs but we are overlooking a very glaring fact....Paul is surrounded by shooters in NOLA. Of course you can look like a world beater when you can throw the ball up to a 7 footer that can jump out of the gym, play pick and pop/roll with a forward, IMO, that has the deadliest 15 footer in the league, and be able to slash without having to worry about extra defenders collapsing on the paint because their assignments are pinpoint shooters from range, allowing you to finish at the rim despite your lack of size.

Had Paul been in a starting lineup with Smoove, Chill, and Zaza he would not be anywhere as great as he is now. He would spend more games on the IL due to the pounding he'd take in the paint due to lack of shooting/spacing and his assists numbers would not be as high. All of this is before even considering Woody's coaching.

Watching the chemistry between Paul and JJ during the Olympic trial stuff, I think JJ and Paul would have made this team very formidable. Remember, we have slashers (in Smoove and CHillz). One plus is I believe Paul would never throw Smoove the ball when he's on the perimeter. Paul is a real true to life floor general and he would have directed the offense...

Watching the chemistry between Paul and JJ during the Olympic trial stuff, I think JJ and Paul would have made this team very formidable. Remember, we have slashers (in Smoove and CHillz). One plus is I believe Paul would never throw Smoove the ball when he's on the perimeter. Paul is a real true to life floor general and he would have directed the offense...

Paul and JJ would be set but a big part of Paul's game is screen and pop with West, who has the tremendous ability to shoot which keeps his man from trapping Paul off a pick leaving West open for a money shot, and drive and kick out to his shooters or drive and draw Chandler's man off him allowing him to lob passes that Chandler can catch from anywhere near the rim. That Hawks team didn't have the personel to play to his strengths.

• Premium Member
Paul and JJ would be set but a big part of Paul's game is screen and pop with West, who has the tremendous ability to shoot which keeps his man from trapping Paul off a pick leaving West open for a money shot, and drive and kick out to his shooters or drive and draw Chandler's man off him allowing him to lob passes that Chandler can catch from anywhere near the rim. That Hawks team didn't have the personel to play to his strengths.

I watched Paul play with Eric Williams back at Wake Forrest. He made Williams look good. And WIlliams could not hit the broad side of a barn.

Paul doesn't necessarily need a screener to be successful. He's a stop and pop guy. He's a drive and dish guy. He's also a screen and roll/fade guy. Paul is a master of it all. Here with Smoove, Chillz, JJ... I think you'd see him be a little general guy. The guy who can move players in the halfcourt and find the open shooter or be the shooter himself. Think about how many things teams would have to fear from us...

Backdoor cuts. CP3 on the drive. Drive and dish to Joe. For anybody to think that we would not be a hard team to beat offensively... I think you're fooling yourself. CP3 does what all good PGs do, he makes those around him better.

Now...My original response to the CP3 question had this corollary.

Do you think there's some combination of players/Picks that we can trade aside from Joe and Smoove that will get CP3 here?

How untouchable is Paul?